hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: was the reason this site lost its community because of reddit tressless or spamming?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/24/2019 04:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/24/2019 04:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RMAN
Regular Poster

I remember this was once a upon a time one of the top support forum and support websites for hairloss. Now you have hair transplant docs and their team spamming this whole site and deceving people. SMH!

-------------------------
Rogaine Foam : 1x a day
Nizoral 1% Shampoo: Every 3 days
 04/25/2019 06:29 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Traffic on hairloss forums is directly connected to how many marketers are working it. The problem with all of this is marketing fraud when it comes to making decisions with medical procedures is it opens up a big can of worms when it comes to lawsuits and most especially class actions lawsuits for those engaged in anything considered deceptive. Granted some of it can't be detected but so much of it out there has been so over the top that claiming ignorance as a defense will not help these people

Yes some posters are real but most are simply readers with marketers creating many of the postings. If they are not creating postings to lure in those unaware then they are bashing real posters, ethical doctors and forums that don't put up with too much from the marketers.

Doctors that post using their names are at the very least telling you what they are about and you can take in the information and consider it. For example the 2 biggest technical reasons for a poor hair transplant without doubt in my opinion are number 1 the math for most does not add up long term. With generally only 5000 fu or less available long term for most you simply cannot hammer out a hairline and temple points at a young age without it eventually looking ridiculous. Number 2 is the horrendous strip procedure takes the darkest and thickest caliber hairs regardless of if they are singles and places them into a hairline. When this is pointed out to others with patients in person and not pictures it becomes easy to understand why it looks so weird. Is it possible that I know more than a doctor or is it possible a doctor is only telling you what works best for him?

Understand what you are dealing with here. Most of the fraudsters are looking for those who are desperate. The greater your desperation the easier it is to make a mistake.

If you can't meet someone posting to a forum in person in their home then I suggest to BEWARE. This includes those working in the business. Honest people do not care if you know where you can find them but they will come up with some type of bullsh*t excuse if they are simply a smiling face that is full of crap.

Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.

Edited: 04/26/2019 at 05:56 AM by topcat
 04/27/2019 05:25 PM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

There are other hair loss sites and blogs doing well so there is still plenty of interest in this topic and probably always will be until they release something that actually works and without numerous side effects. I can't figure out where everyone went for this forum, at one time it was the premier site for hair loss news and discussion. Kind of miss it. Remember Chrome, we need him to come back where are you? :--)
 04/28/2019 04:11 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

Nobody is spamming the forum. The doctors who are posting here have the permission to do it. Also, the doctors that post here help to support the existence of the site. Otherwise it wouldn't even be online.

This forum is outdated and it's in the process of being replaced by a new forum.

We did have some good posters leave because they were being solicited to join a private forum . Unfortunately our private messages were being used to recruit members and then once they joined these other sites they were then told they can't share the info so they never came back.

However, the good news is that the new forum will be online shortly and whomever was an old member will get a notification so they can reactivate their account if they want to.

BTW As soon as the new forum is live I'm going to keep the HT topics confined to the HT section. But at this time I have decided to let everything be posted to the main forum.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.

Edited: 04/28/2019 at 04:28 AM by Farrel
 04/28/2019 12:17 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

I was solicited on here, but I never joined another forum or group, for the record.

Speaking only for myself, I felt like I had to give something back to the online community that I benefited so from years before. At some point, I felt like I had achieved that.

I think, unfortunately, the internet, like the world in general, is in the middle of an anti-enlightenmemt movement, where people not only say and believe assanine things, but demand they be validated in their flat-eartherism. I feel badly for the guys who have to swim through it now, but I'm sure others are picking up the torch somewhere.

Being an optimist, I think enlightenment will make a comeback. Hopefully we've already reached critical mass. All sorts of forums, internet based and otherwise, would benefit.

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 04/29/2019 07:09 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

Nice to see you DecadeTwo. Hope all is well with you and thanks for giving back in the past.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 04/29/2019 06:14 PM

Author Icon
rosariorose9
Accomplished Poster

I was solicited as well, but did not join another forum or group. Will be more than interested to see what our fearless leader has planned....
 04/30/2019 01:47 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

Thanks for your guy's support. I've been working for many months on building a brand new custom-designed forum. I also have some people that I want to bring on the forum who have good info to contribute. As soon as it's all ready, which will be any day now, you'll see the completed project.

04/30/2019 09:45 AM

Author Icon
ThinCity
Regular Poster

Hi Farrel, This was the very first forum I joined and over the years gained a lot of knowledge. While I was never solicited to join another forum, I think at least for long time members, its depressing that treatment(s) and surgeries haven't really changed. I think since I joined, only the more widespread use of FUE and the introduction of Rogaine Foam (over the liquid) are the only real changes. I know some better FUE tools/punches have been designed but overall, much is the same. I do visit your forum briefly almost every day, always looking for new news. I am happy that you are updating your site, and look forward to continued reading.
 04/30/2019 10:43 AM

Author Icon
parsh
Prolific Poster

It was a combination of things. There wasn't any "soliciting" (if someone sends me a link to a reddit post or another forum, for example, I have a choice to click, I'm not a lemming). I was a little bummed when the messaging option went away because it had helped me develop a lot of ideas and that dissuaded me a bit.

But ultimately, I think the main reason for my own reduced involvement was that a lot of hair loss development slowed as federal funding dried up (which hasn't changed with the new administration), and I got tired of reading the same articles. Have been able to maintain a Norwood 2.5 for the last 7 years with dut and a combination of other rx, so have been happy otherwise. Also have a lot more responsibilities now than I did 10 years ago.

There have been some more recent developments that I'm excited about, particularly with ketosis and exosomes, but we are still holding up a flickering candle in a massive dark cavern.

And to endorse DecadeTwo's comment, we live in a world where people don't believe water is wet and insist that the earth is flat. The outwards feminization of society has forced androgenized behavior online in the form of trolls and navel gazing stupidity. I think there are some oases in this flooded landscape but it can be frustrating at times.

Looking forward to the new forum.
 04/30/2019 11:17 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

There is definitely a lot of promising info out there. This site will be updated as soon as it relaunches and anyone who wants to be a news contributor to the site can just let me know and I'll enable some publishing tools for you.

05/02/2019 01:55 PM

Author Icon
joey101
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

I was solicited on here, but I never joined another forum or group, for the record.

Speaking only for myself, I felt like I had to give something back to the online community that I benefited so from years before. At some point, I felt like I had achieved that.

I think, unfortunately, the internet, like the world in general, is in the middle of an anti-enlightenmemt movement, where people not only say and believe assanine things, but demand they be validated in their flat-eartherism. I feel badly for the guys who have to swim through it now, but I'm sure others are picking up the torch somewhere.

Being an optimist, I think enlightenment will make a comeback. Hopefully we've already reached critical mass. All sorts of forums, internet based and otherwise, would benefit.

It is mainly thanks to decadeTwo that i still have my hair on my head 15 years later. Thanks bro I remember clearly reading you explained how maintaining is 1000 times simpler than regrowing. I took that advice and ran with it, fin + occasional nizoral and 15 years later still have most of my hair on my head.

Regarding the forum it self, the reality of it is that its extremely dated the technology behind it is from the early 2000s way behind on the times. Its fine, for me it served the purpose its like the old car that was great in its time but its just old and clunky.

Hair is like air, when it is in short supply it becomes important...
 05/04/2019 08:56 PM

Author Icon
parsh
Prolific Poster

Well thank you Farrel for maintaining a civilized but also fairly unbiased space for hair loss discussion. Tressless is a powerful phenomenon and reddit does seem to have castrated a lot of the individual forums online (not just hair loss), and this has positives and negatives.

The major positive for reddit is that it has consolidated a lot of different minds and users from different forums and is relatively free from the ulterior motives of forum owners. Having seen the heavily censored advertising forums like baldtruth and HTN, I appreciate this relative objectivity. I appreciate that this place was a massive exception to that trend.

The downside to reddit is that financially incentivized forum owners have been replaced with red-tape heavy subforum moderators, who in turn are falling into many of the same patterns. The ulterior motives in hair loss make Game of Thrones look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Many areas of reddit have a Robespierrian French Revolution feel -- the mob mentality is strong there. Having a high level discussion on reddit about almost any subject feels akin to trying to have a civilized discussion in front of the mainstage at Coachella, or trying to develop your backstroke in the middle of a tidal wave. More subtle truths can be buried by the torrential flow of upvotes and downvotes that are the hallmark of the site. Too many analogies in this paragraph, but you guys know how I write.

I'm sure the new site will be great, good luck with it. Folks like you, Brian, D2, Boldy, ahadabans etc have been a refreshing presence in the field, would suck to lose that.
 05/05/2019 03:29 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

Thanks Parsh. I will say at the outset that there will be a commercial aspect to the new forum/site. There has to be because it's taken a significant amount of my time to create it and I can't produce something that takes all my time without being able to pay the bills.

That being said, having a commercial aspect to something doesn't mean it will be heavily censored. There has to be some moderation but it will be balanced as it always was in the past.

The good thing about the new forum is that I can create subforums where individuals will need special access to post, but it still can be read by others. It would be no problem for me to create a subforum where only known entities can post their research without being harassed by others.

In essence, it should work like Facebook where you can have many groups of different people co-existing on the same platform.

05/12/2019 08:08 AM

Author Icon
taco
Prolific Poster

I have nothing but thanks for Farrel

My loos came on quick at age 35
Found this site and how maintained a NW2 for almost 20 yrs
Stuck with minox mainly but have tried other stuff from time to time
Early on would visit site daily but now weekly at most
No complaints about site just lack of anything promising but keeping fingers crossed

The biggest thing I learned was not to expect anything over night any treatment will take months, i just have to be patient
 05/12/2019 08:02 PM

Author Icon
maudite
Regular Poster

There was a period where people were soliciting others on here to join private forums. It was strange. I didn't know what the purpose of creating a private hair loss forum was, especially when this one was fine.

At that time, there were a lot of private RU58841 orders as well as RU58841 myristate. In retrospect, I think the purpose of the private forums was so that the forum owners could start group purchases of these chemicals in their forum and then skim a cut of people's orders. I don't know for sure, I never joined one so I am only speculating.

That said, there was a time where this web page came under a DOS attack and dropped in search engine rank a lot after that and that was when I began to notice traffic diminishing. I think the SEO is a big issue. There are a huge number of groups, blogs, and forums people can join now on this topic whereas it used to be one or two forums people joined so to sustain activity, this forum would have to compete with all those other options in search rankings.

That said, I don't think anything out there now is nearly as informative as all the information on this forum. I miss Bryan Shelton coming on here and discussing almost anything pertaining to hair loss medical advice. It's really surprising how long ago that was but it still feels like yesterday. This site probably could still be useful. I think archives on here would be well worth keeping around.
 05/12/2019 08:16 PM

Author Icon
maudite
Regular Poster

I just noticed you can see evidence of the DOS attack in the web page statistics at the bottom of the pages.
 05/18/2019 12:29 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

The DDOS attack was definitely related to destroying our Google ranking.

06/18/2019 04:39 AM

Author Icon
devilhunter
Prolific Poster

I've been here since 2013, the biggest issue here there was no notification system and pm; this badly hurt the forums reputation

Non the less, you can find here Tom of information since this forum is relatively old and many threads are useful.

One last thing you can't find 10yrd old + fin and minox as commonly as here

Regards and many thanks to Fadel and D2
 08/25/2019 04:39 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

If you watch traffic on sites its directly tied to the amount of marketers working it. When a marketer leaves they take at least a dozen or more screen names with them, why?

Because much of it is made up bullshit and marketing fraud.

So don't judge a site because the traffic is lite worry more about those with heavy traffic.

Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.
Statistics
36362 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 171 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 171 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc