hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Topical PGE2
Topic Summary: Any thoughts.
Created On: 06/04/2012 06:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/15/2012 12:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
2020_2
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: jimbo69

hey gangster, what do you make of the studies where pge2 applied dirrectly have no effect on hair loss or growth?

for the love of god... THERE WERE TWO STUDIES ABOUT THAT!

One showed results. One did not. You decide which one got the wrong results
 06/15/2012 07:24 PM

Author Icon
Celco
Accomplished Poster

Im going to drive my self down to the university library today and dig out full version of these studies on pge2.

I will report soon.

-------------------------
1.25mg Fin daily
Minox foam or liquid intermittently
Nizoral shampoo every 2-3 days
----------------
We need something better than Fin approved that targets the scalp only.
We need much better hair growth stimulants.
 06/16/2012 02:20 AM

Author Icon
Celco
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Celco
Im going to drive my self down to the university library today and dig out full version of these studies on pge2.

I will report soon.

Ok, I did some hairloss work today. I dug out those two PGE2 studies and had a look at them.

The first study was in "New Topical Agents for Hair Growth" by Henry Roenigk in Clinics in Dermatology Journal from 1988.

This article discusses three types of topicals for potential use in treating male pattern hairloss. The three topicals were Diazoxide, Viprostol (PGE2 analog) and Cyclosporine.

The article is not very clear but I think it refers to two studies that were done on Viprostol. One seems to be an inhouse study done by a company called American Cyanamid in 1985 - "A double blind, placebo controlled study assessing the efficacy of CL 115-347 in promoting hair growth when administered for 24 weeks to the scalp of male subjects with male pattern baldness. CL 115-347, Clinical Study Protocol: l-28, 1985 (data on file)." The second study seems to have been done by the author.

Anyway this is what it says:

"VIPROSTOL

Viprostol is a synthetic prostaglandin E analogue would seem to be to be an effective vasodilater and antihypertensive drug (unpublished data).* Its mode of action as an antihypertensive appears to be the reduction of peripheral resistance through its relaxing actions on smooth muscle. Early studies suggested that direct application of viprostol to the bald scalp promotes hair growth and the transformation of vellus to terminal hair by increasing nutritive blood flow to the scalp.

Equivocal evidence of mild liver dysfunction was noted in a preliminary study in healthy subjects after they received repeated doses of 120 pg of viprostol to the bald scalp. A rechallenge study, however, showed no effect on serum transaminase levels, indicating no clinically significant trend or safety concerns with regard to liver dysfunction.* No other side effects were reported.

A l-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted to determine the effectiveness of viprostol in patients with male-pattern baldness. The study was conducted at 10 centers including Northwestern University Medical School. Each center enrolled 20 patients. Seventeen of our patients completed 6 months and 13 completed the l-year treatment period. At the end of the l-year study, ten patients had increased hair growth from baseline and five of these patients doubled their terminal hair count; three patients had no noticeable hair growth (Table 17-1). All of our viprostol-treated patients had increased hair growth at 24 weeks, and six of the 10 doubled their hair count by 50 weeks. Three of the seven placebo-treated patients had increased hair growth. Curiously, when data were collected from all of the centers, hair-growing activity could not be substantiated and the studies were discontinued."

So the ten patients that they show in the article who were treated with topical viprostol all had some good hair growth.

Baseline mean for all 10 was 62.1 terminal hairs. After 50 weeks of topical viprostol treatment terminal hair mean was 153.1 (more than double). The best responder went from 18 terminal hairs at baseline to 196 after 50 weeks! That's pretty good.

However this wasn't replicated in the other groups and the study was discontinued. The article does not give much further details.

The second article I looked at was "Transdermal viprostol in the treatment of male
pattern baldness" in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. This was a more formal and better reported study done by Olsen and DeLong in 1990.

"METHOD
Subject selection
Seventy-two men(age range 18 to 50 years)witheither pattern Illv, IV, or V male pattern baldness (Hamilton-Norwood classification'P II) entered the study. Only healthy subjects as determined by a history, physical examination, electrocardiography, chest x-radiation, and laboratory evaluation (CBC, serum chemistry profiles, urinalysis) were eligible. No subject had used topical minoxidil or any topical hormonal preparation previously for androgenetic alopecia and none had hair transplants. No subject was taking any medication associated with hair growth, any antihypertensive agents, or other vasodilators."

"TREATMENT PROTOCOL
Subjects were randomly assigned, in a double-blind fashion, to receive either activedrug, vehicle, or placebo. The silicone-based vehicle was a combination of polydimethylsiloxane,
C12-15 alcohols, benzoate, and cyclomethicone. The placebo was a water-soluble mixture of inert agents."

"RESULTS
Baseline demographic characteristics of each treatment group are shown in Table 1.A significant decline was noted in nonvellus target area hair counts in 6 months according to both observers. The decrease was most pronounced in the group treated with vehicle but there were no significant differences between treatment groups PGE2(Table II). Patient and investigative assessments of hair growth are given in Tables III and IV, respectively; there were no significant differences between treatment groups."

So the results did not show hair growth with topical PGE2 analog however there are a few things I picked up on in the study.

Firstly in the Ohlsen study the men tested where predominantly NW 5 and the average length of time of balding was about 13 years. Regrowth of follicles after they have been minaturising for that long is very unlikely.The lowest category of hairloss they would accept in the study was NW 3V. There were only 9 NW 3Vs, 13 NW 4 and 35 NW 5s!

The other issue I have with the study is that the group that lost the most hair after 6 months where those that were using the VEHICLE ONLY.

In other words looking at the study results the vehicle was actually CAUSING hairloss because those using the vehicle had about 2.5 times more hairloss than the placebo group. Maybe the vehicle was creating further inflammation and causing hairloss, I don't know???

The loss in the group using Vehicle + Viprostol was about the same as with placebo although slightly more. So to my untrained eye it looks like the Viprostol PREVENTED some hairloss which was being caused by the vehicle. I'm suprised the authors didn't address this issue of the VEHICLE causing hairloss. It was very glaring that the VEHICLE on it's own was causing a whole lot of hairloss - about 2.5 times worse than the placebo!

So despite the Ohlsen study I still think that topical PGE2 is a good addition to a hairloss regimen as long as it is combined with PGD2 blocking. None of the studies tested PGE2 in the context of reduced PGD2.

The other take home message from the study is that the vehicle needs to be right. What the Ohlsen study showed to me WASN'T that PGE2 analog doesn't work but that the vehicle used to administer it can cause serious acceleration of hairloss. I'd like to see PGE2 tested again but this time in a vehicle that isn't clearly shown to make you go BALD faster!

1.25mg Fin daily
----------------

Edited: 06/16/2012 at 03:02 AM by Celco
 06/16/2012 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Celco
Accomplished Poster

Here are some numbers from the Ohlsen study on PGE2 to show my point.

*In the placebo group there were 20 men.
*At baseline they had an average of 469.7 nonvellus hairs.
*After 6 months of placebo treatment they lost 15.7 hairs (3.3%)
So they lost hair, as you would expect with no treatment.

*In the JUST vehicle group there 18 men.
*At baseline they had an average of 486 nonvellus hairs.
*After 6 months of treatment with JUST vehicle they lost 46.4 hairs! (9.5%)
So they lost a lot more than placebo. The numbers seem to show that the vehicle is accelerating hairloss when compared to placebo.

*In the treatment group (Viprostol added to the vehicle) there were 19 men.
*At baseline they had an average of 502.6 non vellus hairs.
*After 6 months of treatment they had lost 19.9 hairs!!! (3.9%)

As I said, to me it looks like the VEHICLE causes hairloss to accelerate faster than placebo (maybe it upregulates pgd2). When PGE2 is added to the vehicle the hairloss slows down to be almost like placebo.

Based on the numbers in the study the vehicle was accelerating hairloss. PGE2 when added to the vehicle helped protect from the bad effects of the vehicle. That's how I see it anyway.

I don't think the study disproves the benefits of topical PGE2.

1.25mg Fin daily
----------------

Edited: 06/16/2012 at 03:35 AM by Celco
 06/18/2012 05:26 PM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Nice work celco!

My stand point is still PGE2 + CRTH2 antagonist, could do wonders.

I've been trying to get this stuff, But the suppliers don't have it on stock.. there must be a way to get it without starting a custom synthesis.

If people have some time left, Pleast try to find some pharmacy or so, that delivers PGE2 in Pill, or Gel form.

Edited: 06/19/2012 at 08:51 PM by Boldy
 06/21/2012 08:37 AM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Has some native english speaking called this compan?

http://www.rxpadpharmacy.com/b...noprostone/40mg

PHONE NUMBERS:
Toll-Free Phone : 1-866-544-8208
International Phone : 1-204-272-0311

THEY are not responding on EMAILS.
 06/23/2012 12:28 AM

Author Icon
Celco
Accomplished Poster

Some more on PGE2.

These articles have been linked before but they are very relevant to this thread.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/9...pecia/wolf.html

Some key points from this 2003 article.

Speculating that activation of prostaglandin-H synthase (PGHS)-1 might be the mechanism by which minoxidil stimulates hair growth in vivo, Michelet et al. demonstrated that minoxidil is indeed a potent activator of purified PGHS-1, by assaying oxygen consumption and prostaglandin (PG)E2 production.[21] This activation was also evidenced by increased PGE2 production by BALB/c 3T3 fibroblasts and by human dermal papilla fibroblasts in culture. These findings suggest that the mechanism behind the hair-growth-stimulating effect of minoxidil is stimulation of PGE2 synthesis. If this conclusion were the case, it would stand to reason that other, more specific, PG activators (PG analogs) might show even better results.

both systemic and topical application of PGE2 resulted in a significant degree of protection against radiation-, [22, 23, 24] or doxorubicin-induced [23] alopecia.

^ This experiment was done on mice.

In a more recent study, prostaglandin receptor (EP)3 and EP4 mRNA were expressed in the dermal papilla cells and the outer-root-sheath cells located in the hair bulb region, respectively, in 3-week-old mouse dorsal skin (in the anagen phase). [25] In 8-week hair follicles (in the telogen phase), the signals for both EP3 and EP4 mRNA had disappeared. On days 8 and 12 after depilation, EP3 and EP4 mRNA were reexpressed, and induction of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 mRNA was also observed, suggesting that PG receptors are involved in the development and regrowth of the hair follicles. [25]

if the proposed mechanism of minoxidil action is indeed through its stimulating effect of PGE2 synthesis, then one should ask why we need to stimulate the synthesis of PG if we can use it directly?

Then there is this article.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/9...r/namazi.html#1

It says this...

PGE2 suppresses cellular immune response generated by TH1 cells. An illustration of this process is the depression of cellular immunity following hemorrhage and burns, a depression that is associated with overproduction of PGE2 and is inhibited by ibuprofen [4].

Given that PGE2 exerts an inhibitory influence on type 1 immune response, which is the underlying immunopathology of AA, PGE2 analogs may prove to be invaluable in the treatment of this clinical conundrum.

Then ofcourse there is the 1988 article by Roenigk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3214817

This article gives us the following table claiming hair growth from topical application of pge2.

There is also the 1990 study that shows topical application of pge2 did not grow hair but as I mention above - in the 1990 study there seems to be a problem with the vehicle because it caused much more hairloss than placebo.

Here's the results table from the 1990 study.

In summary I am still trying to work out a way to make pge2 into a topical because I think it could be helpful as a growth stimulant.

1.25mg Fin daily
----------------
 06/24/2012 12:40 PM

Author Icon
carlo
Prolific Poster

The results indicate seminal PGF2 alpha and PGE concentrations were 2.78 +/- 0.24 micrograms/ml and 46.0 +/- 4.5 micrograms/ml, respectively.
The seminal parameters that were significant predictors of seminal PGF2 alpha included: Ca++ concentration (P less than 0.001), Zn++ concentration (P less than 0.01), and percentage of tapered sperm (P less than 0.05). The seminal parameters that were significant predictors of seminal PGE included: Ca++ concentration (P less than 0.01) and sperm motility (P less than 0.05).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6420207

Mean concentrations (mg/l) for the four main groups of PGs were 67.1 for PGE, 3.2 for PGF, 245.7 for 19-hydroxy-PGE and 13.3 for 19-hydroxy-PGF.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3610357

06/25/2012 09:40 PM

Author Icon
Celco
Accomplished Poster

^ I have no idea what point you are trying to make there. ???

1.25mg Fin daily
----------------
 06/26/2012 02:29 AM

Author Icon
carlo
Prolific Poster

I simply give the information I found. If you don't like it, it's your problem, not mine.
 07/09/2012 03:37 AM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Guys,

Ive been doing studies for couple weeks regarding Oxygen, PGE2, Stemcel CD34 (for hairgrowth)

In hort:
http://www.cosmeticsdesign-eur...se-hair-density

Loreal says their new product"NEOGENIC" mimics Hypoxia (LOW Oxygen Environment), which stimulates the CD34 stemcell, and as result faster hairgrowth.
Now I have Been searching the Role of Hypoxia, Oxygen and PGE2. It seems Hypoxia promotes PGE2 as EP1 receptor.
This leads on its turn activation of the CD34 Stemcel.
http://bloodjournal.hematology...2/5444.full.pdf

I Havent fully studied the PDF yet, because of all the reading I Have to do, It would be nice to get some input from you guys regarding this pathway.

I think its pure Marketing what they are trying. They have a made a patented molecule, that increases PGE2 and on its turn, stemcel protection.

We can do this Directly. by exogenous PGE2 for stimulating the CD34+ stemcel

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 03:49 AM by Boldy
 07/09/2012 07:51 AM

Author Icon
vinman
Regular Poster

If you want to wake up cd34+ you have to apply valproic acid on you head.
Check this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323655/
Members in hairlossgr.com claim huge improvement after topical vpa application.

There is also an interesting study http://cancerres.aacrjournals....content/65/7/2537.full
 07/09/2012 02:21 PM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Intersting. I will read this studies THANKS.
 07/13/2012 03:32 AM

Author Icon
carlo
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: vinman

Check this study ">"><br ">&l......./pm...PMC3323655/

]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323655/
<br [/L]

There is also an interesting study http://cancerres.aacrjournals....content/65/7/2537.full

I haven't seen this article before, I'll add it to the valproic thread
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...atid=10&threadid=99761
 07/14/2012 05:03 AM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Check this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pm...les/PMC3323655/

can you please share the exact link of the topic where users having improvements. I can not find it on the Greek forum.
 07/14/2012 06:39 AM

Author Icon
vinman
Regular Poster

pictures inside, but you have to register to see in HQ.
http://www.hairlossgr.com/foru...t-75416.html#pid75416
http://www.hairlossgr.com/foru...t-74138.html#pid74138

http://www.hairlossgr.com/foru...t-76162.html#pid76162

In this thread you can read the whole vpa-story so far.
 07/14/2012 09:49 AM

Author Icon
knight77
Regular Poster

Hello all, I am not trying to side track anyone in anyway but I was looking over some notes last night ans saw that I noted in the past that Cotsaralis and Garza filed a patent a while back on prostaglandin analogues for hair growth. I don't have the date on my buut im sure you could find it online if you look hard enough. Not sure if this helps anything?.....and does this mean that if a company did produce a treatment based on the science or patent that he provided that would mean big $ for him? If that is the case that may explain why not many companies are interested in messing with prostaglandins for hairloss.
 07/14/2012 03:13 PM

Author Icon
Boldy
Accomplished Poster

Thanks man,

Ive been trying to read with google translator, But its kind of awkward/ strange/wrong translation. Its not been translated properly. Could you summerize the effects/ story from that topic.

Are the people having a hairloss stop, regrowth, decrease in shedding..

Originally posted by: GansterBoy

Check this study ">http://www.ncbi.nlm.ni.../pm.....655/

can you please share the exact link of the topic where users having improvements. I can not find it on the Greek forum.
 07/14/2012 06:32 PM

Author Icon
Okay
Prolific Poster

Uh..... So is anyone now using revitalash

Originally posted by: hotdillon

Hello Guys!! Just a quick update! In response to several e-mails I've received, I spoke to one of the reps for Revitalash, and yes it has the exact same ingredient in the Hair Conditioner as the Eyelash conditioner (prostaglandin).

As an update for me...it's been almost 2 weeks....no regrowth (yet), but I will tell you this, my hair def appears thicker and my weak hairs are standing straight up and my hair looks like it is growing at a faster rate!!

Cannot complain at all! So far so good!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...atid=10&threadid=87025

Originally posted by: hotdillon

Alright guys!! I am back reporting after one year of using Revitalash, only.

I've got to tell you that this product has exceeded my expectations. I tried everything before Revitalash and had problems either from side effects or unmanageable hair, etc... This stuff goes on easy, dries, then you comb through it, just like a moose or conditioner. After one year I can say that I have not lost as much before starting. I maintained wonderfully. I went through a shed between 3-6 months, but that was it. I really didnt see much regrowth, just good, thick hair, which helped with the thin spots overall. After one year, I can 100% see fine peach fuzz in my temples...and it is not my imagination or terminal hairs. It is working really slow, but it is working. At the least it is a good addition for any regimen.

I'll keep reporting as I use it for another year or more!! Thanks guys!

Edited: 07/14/2012 at 06:49 PM by Okay
 07/14/2012 06:40 PM

Author Icon
Okay
Prolific Poster

I guess it's no longer called Revitalash Conditioner.

It's now Hair Advanced by RevitaLash®

http://www.revitalash.com/conditioning-product
Hair Loss Help » Experimental and New Hair Loss Treatments » Topical PGE2

<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
32063 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 14 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 811 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 825 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc