hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Doctor of the Day - Dr. James Harris - Colorado
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2004 02:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2004 02:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Farrel

James A. Harris, MD, FACS, received his medical degree with honors from the University of Colorado School of Medicine in 1989. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Otolaryngology, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, and the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.

Dr. Harris' practice, The Hair Sciences Center of Colorado, is limited exclusively to follicular unit hair transplantation and follicular unit extraction. He is a Clinical Instructor of Hair Transplantation at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, Colorado. He recently authored, "The Hair Replacement Revolution: A Consumer's Guide to Effective Hair Replacement Techniques."

Dr. Harris has recently patented a surgical methodology and instrumentation for performing follicular unit extraction that ensures graft safety and integrity. The method is the Harris SAFE System ® and the instrument is the SAFE Scribe ® . The technique and surgical results were presented at the 12 th Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery in Vancouver, BC.

To ask Dr. Harris a question please post a message in this thread or visit his directory listing for more info.

http://www.hairtransplant.net/hair_transplant_doctors/James_Harris/

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 10/28/2004 05:18 AM

Author Icon
beerman
Prolific Poster

Edited: 01/30/2005 at 12:05 PM by beerman
 10/28/2004 05:46 AM

Author Icon
bukkaroo
Accomplished Poster

Wellcome to this board, Dr. Harris! For how long have you been doing hair transplants? Have you done strip surgeries before you started FUE? Could you show us pics of your most successful FUE case. How many FUE grafts have you transplanted so far and how many patients have you treated with FUE. Moreover, in what way is your FUE technique different from that of other FUE providers. What do you think about body hair transplants. If you shouldalready have performed bh transplants, how successful were these transplants.
I would be very happy if you would participate in the discussions in this forum more frequently, like Drs. Cole, Feller, and several others.
 10/28/2004 06:56 AM

Author Icon
bukkaroo
Accomplished Poster

Oh, yes, Dr. Harris, one more question that just came to my mind. Some people believe that strip is still superior for those patients that need high numbers of grafts , so for guys that are high on the NW scale. Do you agree with this? Personally I do not think that this rule of thumb is always applicable, because with strip, the more grafts that are extracted, the longer the scar and the higher the risk of a wide scar. What are your thoughts?
 10/28/2004 10:40 AM

Author Icon
harris

Beerman:

I like to limit my FUE cases to 1000 grafts per day or fewer, however I have performed up to almost 1400 grafts. Since I perfrom all the extractions myself, I feel very strongly that surgeon fatigue not become an issue. That isn't to say that as techniques evolve, that assistants couldn't play an expanded role in this surgery. I presented a study in Vancouver at the ISHRS meeting about my transection rates with the SAFE System, it was 5.6%. I have to say this is significantly lower than the rates I had performing the method as described by Rassman.

I do perform chest hair extractions, usually limited to 500-700 per day. I am currently evluating the role of "lateral" slits in my practice, but do routinely utilize this method. Feel free to call my office regarding charges.

Thanks for your questions.
JH

Buckkaroo:

I've been performing hair restoration for almost 7 years and yes I have done strip excision for years and still do. Less than 10% of my practice is FUE, but it is growing. My methodology is is different in that I use an additional instrument to dissect the grafts from the surrounding dermis. The sharp punch is only used to "score" the epidermis and upper dermis, the dissecting punch separates the follicular unit atraumatically from the dermis. It is elegantly simple, but yet takes the guesswork out of the equation. You can't predict the subcutaneous course of the unit and the "SAFE System" does not rely on guessing. I have not yet found a FOX negative patient, including African Americans, whose units can have very divergent follicles.

I have performed chest hair transplants. Because of the low hair density, I think that it's role is limited. Having said that, I think it's a great resource for patients with bad donor scars. I say the results are "good", not "stunning."

I agree that there is always a risk of a wide scar, but it doesn't necessarily correlate with the length. To my knowledge, nobody has extracted 6000 or 7000 units so that we know what the appearance of the donor area is after FUE. But I have performed cases this size with a strip, in two sessions, with the scar being no wider than 1 to 2mm. Of course the patient would never shave his head with a linear scar, but we don't know if an FUE patient after 6000-7000 grafts could have theirs shaved either.

I am currently involved in some studies to help try and answer some of these questions.

Thanks for your message.
JH
 10/28/2004 11:45 AM

Author Icon
Derrickb84
Regular Poster

i cant seem to find your prices. what would you charge for 1800 grafts FUE? are u able to transplant as dense as 90 grafts per sqcm like Dr. Alvi Armani? also can u post larger versions of photos of your work? the photos on your website are very small, why is that?

and why is it when i go to your news page and contact page i just get quotes such as this one: http://www.hsccolorado.com/images/quote_contact.gif ???

Edited: 10/28/2004 at 11:51 AM by Derrickb84
 10/28/2004 01:01 PM

Author Icon
harris

Bana:

I could transplant 90 grafts/square cm, but I don't. I don't think that normal scalp vasculature supports that amount of trauma, which in my opinion would result in sub-optimal growth.

The photos on my website are to give someone an idea of what can be accomplished. There is no particular reason for the size.

I'm not sure why you get the messages when you go to the "News" and "Contact" pages. I have had my web person check, and they seem to be working fine. I'm sorry you can't access those.

Feel free to call my office toll free at 1.877.694.9381 for pricing of FUE grafts.

Thanks for your inquiry.

JH
 10/28/2004 02:40 PM

Author Icon
Derrickb84
Regular Poster

Ok the lady who answered the phone told me $8.00 a graft. Are there any discounts?

Edited: 10/28/2004 at 02:42 PM by Derrickb84
 10/28/2004 02:56 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

Bana, when discussing issues like price its appropriate to discuss it with the doctor on the phone rather than on a forum. Doctors may have different rates depending on complexity and other issues that will likely be misconstrued when its posted on a public forum and appears to apply to all parties. I don't know if its the case for Dr Harris, but its a general rule of thumb.

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 10/28/2004 09:44 PM

Author Icon
jedi
Accomplished Poster

Dr Harris,
I have had some reservations over FUE, despite being a great concept mainly because I have felt that the results have been inconsistent with poor yield. I have seen some patient pictures with good results but to be honest not that many. Given that you state that current standard methods might produce 20-30% transection but with your new method it's down to around 5% we should be seeing some excellent results coming from your clinic. Does this seem to be the case thus far? And are you satisfied with the results?
If it is all going to plan then it has kind of reinvented the wheel in terms of ht's with FUE in my opinion as the 2 main areas that I have always had concern about was results and price. It seems hopeful then that 1 concern might be taken out of the equation?
 10/29/2004 09:06 AM

Author Icon
harris

Jedi:

I shared your concerns, that is why I performed a pilot study comparing growth rates and unit survival. I presented the study in Vancouver; the growth and survival rates were equal. I am very pleased with the FUE results thus far. I am in the process of adding some of these results to my website; inculding the test patient where you can compare the growth and appearance of FUE and standard units side by side.

To clarify something you have written, I dont think that Cole, Feller, Jones, Wolf, Rassman, and Rose have 20-30 % transection rates. If they did, I would hope they abandon the procedure. I think those rates are likely in the inexperienced.

Thanks for your message.

JH
Statistics
36225 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 200 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 200 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc