hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Young hair transplant victim in depression seeking help in repair options
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/11/2015 06:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/11/2015 06:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paleocapa89

I am a young hair transplant victim in deep depression, desperately seeking for help and advice. I wanted to share my story so others can avoid the mistakes I did. If it is too long to read but you might be able to help me or to guide me to someone who can help, please scroll down to the part where I describe my present situation. Any help is greatly appreciated. You might literally save my life.

My Story

I was around 17-18 years old when I started losing my hair. I always feared this moment in my life, because my brother and father both have aggressive hair loss. I was in denial, I thought this cannot happen to me, anyway, my hair color and texture is different so I will not lose my hair.

But of course I started to lose it. It sent me into a deep depression, it shattered my confidence and I could not focus on my life, I became obsessed with my hair loss. I was the guy, who did not want to go swimming with his friends, who hated the wind when it blew, and got freaked out when someone touched his hair. To sum up, it reduced my life quality significantly. I was always hiding, and not living life to the fullest.

My way of coping with it was to focus on my education, and vision a future when I will solve this problem and become happy again. I think that's when I have decided to have a hair transplant at some point in my future, when it will miraculously solve everything, and life will be great again. WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE.
Fast forward to this year, I am 26 years old, finished university, and not yet started to build my carrier. I thought it was the perfect timing to get the hair transplant done. I thought it will boost my confidence, which is ultimately an investment in myself that will pay off in the long run. I could put some money aside, but obviously not enough to go to a top doctor.

So I started researching, and found a doctor who was highly recommended, an ISHRS member, and fairly cheap. I thought bingo, that is my guy (I don't want to tell his name yet, but I probably will). I sent him photos of my hair loss - probably was a norwood 3 at that time - and he recommended a FUE surgery of 2500 grafts.
I could barely pay for it with all my savings, but I did not care. Obviously I did not do a thorough research, I was so focused on the envisioned bright future that will come after I repaired my hair. I visited him, told him the family history of hair loss, and that I wanted something that would frame my face better, and that I do not want to take propecia for the rest of my life.

Obviously I was the worst candidate for the procedure. I was 26 years old with a highly receded hairline, and a family history of aggressive mpb. But I was in denial. I still had a fair amount of hair on the top of my head - or at least that is what I thought - which was long so I thought I only lost my hair in the front. But I was dead wrong.

The doctor took a quick look at my hair, and confirmed that I need 2500 grafts to the front, (for which I have already payed for...) He didn't warn me about my ongoing thinning in a norwood 5 area, and neither did he tell me how much donor I have, or to be extremely conservative and careful. He either didn't care, or did not take the time to properly assess me. I don't know which is worse. He drew a new hairline on my head, and rushed me into a decision. Obviously I loved the new youthful hairline (who woudn't) and believed and accepted everything he told me. Yes, I was a fool, but I think it was also deeply unethical what he did.
Just a little add on: the hairline was clearly asymmetrical, I pointed it out, but I was told, that it is just a plan and they will take care of it during the operation. Major red flag, but I still believed it. I looked into a mirror after the operation and it was left asymmetrical, but I was told it just looks asymmetrical due to the swelling. I still believed it..

I went home, and felt happy for a while, little did I know, that the problems will just start to arise. I went through some major scabbing, but I was told it was ok. Then after I lost all my transplanted hair, I started to develop redness, pimples and red spots all over my recipient area. I was told it was ok. At some point I was told to take ciprofloxacin 500 which is an antibiotic against folliculitis, but I was told everything was fine. At this point I have to tell that I am a fairly healthy guy with no problem with healing what so ever.

Days and weeks went by but my situation did not improve, I had red spots, and inflammation in my recipient area, but I was told it is normal. I planned for 3 weeks of recovery time (as it is normal) but the weeks and months just kept on going without improvement. I had to come up with excuses, why I am avoiding my friends, and started to slip into depression from the isolation and the solitude. But the worst was still to come..

As my hair started to grow, for the first time in my life, I could clearly see the norwood 5 pattern which was developing, and I was angry and shocked. How could this happen? Why didn't they tell me? Why didn't they refuse me or at least told me to be very conservative with the hairline and the graft count? If I know what was going on, I would have never had the procedure.

----- PLEASE SCROLL HERE IF IT IS TOO LONG TO READ -------

That was it. I fell into major depression. At 3 months after the FUE surgery of 2500 grafts, I am left with an asymmetrical hairline that is way too low with red spots all over, and a butchered donor area. Yes, the donor is also ruined, either the punch size was too big, or the pattern was not careful enough but there are clear signs of overharvestation in certain areas. I am furious at the doctor and angry at myself. Why couldn't I accept the way I looked before? Now I would give everything to undo the whole thing and just be who I was before. As it turns out, I am going to bald in a norwood 5 pattern anyway. I am suffering from major depression, I can't sleep, I wake up every 3 hours shaking and crying. I honestly don't know what to do, I feel like my whole life is ruined. If I didn't have my family to support me I don't know what could have happened...

I am seeking your help in desperation. What options do I have now? How could I repair the damage? Is there any way to return to how I was before? Honestly, I would not mind balding anymore, I just want to shave my head and get on with my life. I probably should have done it years ago. Hair loss is a fight that just eats you up inside, I just want to free myself from it. I just don't want to be scarred for life due to the biggest mistake of my life.
What I have read about so far:

1. FUE punching out the grafts and either lose them or place them somewhere else, maybe back to my donor or to my vertex?

My concerns:
How much scarring would that cause? Can you FUE out the grafts without causing wounds around the hairline? Maybe if the punch is small enough? I don't care about transection. When can I do that, I am assuming I still have to wait for wound healing and see how much of the transplanted hair will eventually grow.

My questions:
Who should I turn to, who is the best?
In the meanwhile, what should I do to heal the best way possible both in the donor and the recipient are? Can I avoid hypopygmentation? Should I have ACELL therapy, I am still in the fairly early phase of the wound healing.

2. Electrolysis to remove the hair
My concerns: Wounding, discoloration of the skin?
My questions: Who should I turn to?

3. Laser removal of the hair.
My questions: Who should I turn to?

4. Fraxel laser on the recipient (and maybe donor) wounds to make the skin better.
My questions: Who should I turn to, who is the best?

5. SMP into the donor scars and maybe to the recipient scars once the hair is removed.
This is probably way down the road and my least concern at the moment. I can live with the donor scars for a while, I am more concerned about the problem in the front.

As I am 3 months post operation, I am healing, Can I do anything to help the healing so the repair will be more successful?

That is the end of my story I wanted to share my story so others can avoid the mistakes I did. you might be able to help me or to guide me to someone who can help me, please do so, either here, or through email: Any help is greatly appreciated. You might literally save my life.

Edited: 09/11/2015 at 07:12 AM by paleocapa89
 09/11/2015 08:11 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately the information one needs in order to make an informed decision on hair transplantation without holding back any punches in a format that is concise and to the point is simply not available. I am currently working on something that fits these objectives and hopefully others are out there doing the same. Then it all needs to be presented in a way that informs the main target age group of the ht industry while also working outside the information systems the ht industry controls.

You might want to consult with a few doctors that have been mentioned on the forums but the problem with that is who can you really trust................the answer is no one.

As far as tattooing dots on to your head in my opinion you will only dig yourself a deeper hole long term while the promoters make more profit short term. Long term that ink has to go to the lymph nodes and studies have shown that tattoo ink that is not lodged deep in the skin migrates and build up in the same nodes. Long term you could very well be trading one problem for one that is much more serious.

Laser can very well be a good option if the skin integrity in the recipient area has been totally destroyed.

My personal opinion of Acell is that it is another load of horseshit that some in the industry uses as an enticement. If you peruse the Acell website you will notice most of HT information that was listed years ago which I still have has been removed for some odd reason. If you visit the website cafepharma and you read some of the threads on Acell by those claiming to be employees or ex employees it is enlightening. Of course ex employees may not be completely truthful but to post comments to a forum that are not true seems kind of risky to me. Some of those accounts can be perceived as the employees laughing about some of the claims they were making to buyers of the product.

In the mean time I would post pictures as it would be easier for others to comment.

-------------------------
Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.
 09/11/2015 09:37 PM

Author Icon
Aztec
Prolific Poster

paleocapa89: I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I can relate to your experience. Post some pictures of your donor area and do not give up hope. There are a handful of great repair doctors that can help. You're not alone and thanks for posting your story.

07/2013 1 FUT strip surgery = garbage results and one strip scar

11/25/14 456 FUE scalp grafts into scar with Dr. John Cole = excellent results

10/08/15 second round of scar grafting with Dr. Cole 300 grafts
 09/13/2015 01:29 AM

Author Icon
paleocapa89

Thanks for the support, it really means a lot. I will go to a therapist next week to help me process all that I went through and possibly help me get on with my life. But I know that I will never feel complete again until I undo this horrible thing. This makes me feel way worse than hair loss have ever made me feel.

The sad thing is that I had a good donor (or so was I told) and I could have probably evaded complete baldness with careful and conservative donor management. Now I am left with a low hairline and thinning all over top.

I will make some photos and upload them soon.
 09/15/2015 07:35 PM

Author Icon
pidda
Accomplished Poster

I think what happens a lot of time is that young guys are not explained the surgery well enough and get rushed into it.

Edited: 09/16/2015 at 08:23 PM by pidda
 09/22/2015 07:28 AM

Author Icon
paleocapa89

My main concern currently is my red and bumpy sometimes itchy recipient area. My recipient never looked good since the operation but I was always told by the clinic that it is normal, I just heal slowly. I never had trouble with healing before. I can't trust my clinic anymore. (among other reasons, they talked me into a 2500 graft fue to the front, not warning me about my ongoing thinning in a norwood 5 area) I have been hiding from the world for 3 months now, and became depressed. I have just read Dr. William Lindsey's post about itchiness and hypertrophic scarring ( http://www.regrowhair.com/hair...should-i-be-concerned/ ) and became very concerned. My donor also look like crap.

I would like to reach out to the experienced forum members to get an honest opinion of an outsider, I added a link to my picasa album, please check it.

Pictures

I also need advice who to turn to for a possible personal consultation in Europe who I can trust and who can evaluate my case and help me heal the best possible way, so I can shave my head and put this horrible mistake behind me.

Edited: 09/25/2015 at 12:08 AM by paleocapa89
 09/22/2015 01:37 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Many of the guys in this business are equivalent to pedophiles and somehow they think what they do is normal with their lists of doctors and self proclaimed expertise. Most should simply stay away from them but desperate people are hard to convince so they just don't get it.

My suggestion to you would to be to do nothing for at least 1 year. Let it all heal and help it heal faster by eating a nutrient dense diet that helps to lower inflammation. Many of the guys in this business will offer you help by taking more of your money and digging you a deeper hole which is something you don't want to do. It's not easy but do nothing for at least 1 year and let it all heal. Then see where you are at. In the meantime help others by posting about your experience and maybe that good will come back to you.

You could have someone look at the folliculitis but I would suggest getting several opinions.

Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.

Edited: 09/22/2015 at 03:35 PM by topcat
 09/23/2015 05:20 PM

Author Icon
wylie
Prolific Poster

Have you contacted a dermatologist? At this point in time, the resulting growth from your surgery is a secondary concern. You have a legitimate reason to be concerned because you should not be experiencing this inflammation and redness after three months. It is quite possible you are causing this condition with something you are putting on your recipient area, or perhaps a medication you are taking.

Schedule an appointment soon.

In the 80's, doctors routinely sent their patients home with 5 mm plugs in rows across their head and told them they would be looking great in no time. Don't believe someone because they have 'Dr.' in front of their name. Greed can make anyone lie.
 09/25/2015 12:20 AM

Author Icon
paleocapa89

Thank you for the replies. To answer them quick: no I am not taking any medication or puting anything on my head other than the Lamiderm cream that was given to me by my clinic, however it does nothing to improve my situation.

Recently I have contacted Dr. William Lindsey and he also suggested me to see a dermatologist, because I might have a long standing resistant type of folliculitis.

The sad thing is that I have raised the 'folliculitis theory' several times to my clinic but I was always told that it does not seem like an infection, but never given an answer then what it is.

I am currently searching for a reliable dermatologist that can take a scalp biopsy and make a culture out of it. I will come back with the results..
 12/30/2015 09:57 PM

Author Icon
mikes23
Regular Poster

My question is who did your procedure? Or did you sign a consent forum and Cann not say?
Acell is useless. I think they gave up on Acell and are trialing other things now. I know one guy on btt thinks Acell caused his scars to widen.
You can remove the hair but it might be better to fue them out and put them back in your scars or create a new, mature, hairline for you. But punching hair out with fue is not so simply. My hairs kept breaking so the doc just took some out without trying to re implant them. A good doctor to see about this is Dr Robert Bernstein. He is located in new york. Also dr shapiro in Minnesota is another good doc for this.
Fraxel may help, those docs will be able to tell you.
I wouldn't go with permanent smp. But temporary smp may be a good idea. I'm actually looking into that right now for my scars. Atleast with temporary if you dont like it, the ink will gone in a year or 2. I have a similar story to yours ,but I was 19 and just going into a nw1.

The best advice I can give you is don't rush into anything. I got another ht 9 months later because I was so upset with what happened with my hair and just wanted to look how I did before the surgery, but this only made things worse. Also, things will get better. I was at a point where I thought things would never get better but they did. Just remain positive. And w.e doctor you visit cone back here and post what they said. There is alot of good veterans on here who can help you decide which doctor or procedure is best for you.

Finastride 1.25mg
 01/01/2016 03:44 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Mike if Acell is useless then maybe it would be wise to look back at who was marketing it and in what way were they marketing it. This will tell you something about the marketing process and who is doing what.

It's easy to market to desperation regardless of if it's cancer, weight loss, hair loss, etc. The marketing can give one a clue to the ethics and help them make a better decision.

I just heard a local radio spot for ht and it made me laugh. The host is a bit edgy and his voice over ends with "don't be a f***ing bald loser"...........a bit over the top but it does invoke an emotion in young men that can get them to act hastily. The f word was bleeped out but there for a reason........to get you to take action.

You will also hear a load of liposuction/weight loss/wrinkled skin ad spots this time of year...............be careful and understand the process.

Edited: 01/01/2016 at 06:29 AM by topcat
 01/18/2016 11:37 AM

Author Icon
harripothed

hey man, sorry to hear that you went into the trap like so many of us, you cannot be blamed for what you have done to yourself, you are a victim. Don`t forget that..

I have been a lurker at this forum for a long time, mainly looking for advise for repair myself..

I have done it all, and I know how you feel..

I only joined this forum just now to help you..
Because there is only one way to get out of the hell you have created for yourself, and that`s aiming towards buzzcut with minimum scarring on top.

I did a hairtransplant at age 27, and received a one way ticket to hell as soon as the door to the clinic shut behind me, I knew it, from there on in I lost everything I held dear including my self respect.. When I say everything I mean, it all..
The only thing that has kept me alive is hope..

Hope that one day I can walk outside without wearing a cap..
So do not lose hope my friend, things will turn around, but it takes dedication and time..

I did a reversal, FUE`d the plugs back into my scar. And I do NOT recommend it, it will create more scarring in recipient area, and it will do nothing for the donor scar, and everything you do from there on will take much more time..

This is what I would do;

1; do laser hair removal in the recipient area. To remove the majority of plugs that you feel creates an uneven look. It will take at least 4-5 sessions, but you shouldn`t have to wait for very long between sessions.

2; When you are somewhat satisfied with the laser hair removal. You go see a Dermatologist. NOT a skin clinic, or something unprofessional. A real dermatologist who perform Fractional CO2 laser treatment or Fraxel laser surgery on scar tissue..

You are going to have at least 4-5 treatments with maybe 3-4 months appart with fraxel or Co2 laser, depending on what your situation is.

3; When it has become as smooth as it`s going to get, you set up an appointment to have V beam laser surgery, to take care of the redness on scalp. This will also take at least 4 treatments, but I believe with lesser time inbetween sessions.

Don`t smoke, and follow all the instructions you get from the doctor.. use vaseline on area after fractional co2 or fraxel for at least a week after the treatment. And after that buy a tube of Avene xera calm a.d and use this on scalp every day/ other day to keep area moist and protected. Do not expose area to sunlight, just wear a cap continuously when outside..

As for the scar in the back of your head, I have nothing..

Best idè I`ve come up with is looking for a nice cool tattoo, and just get it tattooed over.. In my experience, many of the guys that I never imagined would have a tattoo, actually suits them the best.. Just because it breaks the stereotype of a typical guy with a tattoo.. Don`t get a small one, get one that is non symetrical, and cover more than just the scar..

Good luck,

and remember;
It is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profound sick society.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
 01/18/2016 04:38 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

harripothed can you post some before and after pictures if you have any.

How would you describe the skin in the recipient area before the laser treatments? Was it pitted, cobblestoned, discolored or a combination?

Edited: 01/18/2016 at 05:52 PM by topcat
 01/19/2016 08:33 AM

Author Icon
harripothed

sorry mack, I have no pictures..

I can tell u this though; Before I did the reversal, I traveled a lot, backpacked many parts of Asia by myself for a long period of time, thinking of what my next step should be..

During this time, I cut my hair to 1.0mm buzz cut and used a razor on the recipient area.. just to see what it looked like when I got some sun on my scalp, and to see if anyone recognized what I had done and maybe commented on it..

Not only didn`t it look that bad, but no one commented on it.. I could only see some cobblestoning if I really went in to examine my scalp in a mirror, and when the transplanted hair started to grow out a bit it started to look weird and unnatural. So I had to continue to shave the recipient area and cut the rest to a 1.0mm..
It was also a bit discolored in the recipient area, but it all blended in when I got sun on my scalp..

I could have lived with that, just done some laser hair surgery and a couple of sessions with Fraxel and I could have started to put it all behind me, but that`s not what I did. It all became even more fu*ked up when i did the reversal..

After the reversal I had red pits all over, some cobblestoning and mad discoloration..

I have now done 2 sessions with fractional co2 done by a government payed certified dermatologist. And I believe I`m making progress, still some discoloration, and red spots, but no pits, and less bumpiness.. What I`m saying is; I am relying everything on laser surgery at this point, laser surgery, post laser treatment(washing with non irritant soap, being gentle, using a good quality protective moisturizer and a healthy diet with vitamin supplements) and time.

I`m going to have at least 2 more fractional Co2 treatments, a couple of sessions with laser hair removal, and 5-6 sessions with V beam perfecta. I am aiming for summer 2017, by then there should be nothing more I can do..

hope this answered your question..

01/19/2016 12:04 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Thanks..............all the best to you in your road to becoming normal again.

01/23/2016 04:45 PM

Author Icon
Bowlforthedog
Occasional Poster

Hang in there Pale. I've been dealing with this forever myself. I am 39 and my first HT when I was young too. Find some positive things to ready everyday. There is light. I am myself and going to try to get out of this mess too.
 01/24/2016 07:49 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Here is something to keep in mind when considering a hair transplant or a repair.

This industry can be very much compared to politics with many similarities. Younger guys are not going to get this but older guys might and this is why young guys are easier targets. Politics is a very corrupt game and 90% of those that get into the game are lured by the money and power. With the hair transplant industry it slants more towards money but you do have a few that become addicted to any power they may obtain over time. In fact sometimes power can be more seductive then the money which is what keeps them in the game.

Now you are left with 10% or less that need to compete in the same system as with politics. Most find that going up against that system becomes very difficult while at the same time most and especially the young are drawn in by the message that they want to hear. But if one were to watch long enough they would realize it's a constant cycle of telling people what they hope to hear in order for the candidate to achieve their own personal goals and not for those that chose them.

You will also notice that the 10% that are honest and trying to do something good are often attacked or dismissed by that same 90% and that might be a clue. They are attacked because the 90% fear too much truth.

Look at what someone says over time along with their actions over time and that will tell you what you need to know. Understand that when someone in this industry attacks those that do not work in the industry it's a big red flag and a giant clue...............

Repair is possible but figuring out where to find the 10% is the hard part and it's probably much less than 10%............just being generous with the number. Young guys get caught up in all the campaigning the marketers on the forum present in various ways that can often be deceptive. They think they have it figured out.................but all too often they have it wrong.

Most politicians will say whatever they have to and ht marketers can often be the same. Most that read these forums would never aspire to be politicians. Not that they don't think they could but most don't care to try and fool people with a false charm, it's not normal to them so please be wary of those that do.

Edited: 01/24/2016 at 08:07 AM by topcat
 01/24/2016 04:54 PM

Author Icon
Aztec
Prolific Poster

Well said topcat! There are only a handful of doctors I would ever trust to even touch my scalp for repair or any procedure for that matter. Deception and greed are all around us and guys need to become aware of this, especially young vulnerable guys that are desperate for a makeover.

07/2013 1 FUT strip surgery = garbage results and one strip scar

11/25/14 456 FUE scalp grafts into scar with Dr. John Cole = excellent results

10/08/15 second round of scar grafting with Dr. Cole 300 grafts
 06/05/2016 04:53 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Paleo there is a thread on another forum titled "victim of" and it helps you to understand your own experience, what went wrong and why reading the forums daily is essential. One needs to catch that one post that is of most value as when an employee comes forward and spills his guts.

This is why you see longtime patients such as myself and others attacked on occasion. This is just the way much of the industry operates. Those that try to do the right thing both patients and a few doctors are attacked so those researching have to understand what they are seeing. It's all part of the game they play so stay aware when researching. If an industry player is attacking ask yourself what is the motive.

Paleo this is also why your idea of hair tattooing as a solution is very misguided. Look at some of the recent results posted. If they look blueish or if they look like shit where the patient now becomes a clown you will understand what is going on. Nobody says it looks like crap even these showcase results because it all a big game that is slowly becoming more evident to those that didn't know what was going on.

Just grow your hair longer if you have to but don't let these guys damage you further or make a complete fool out of you by tattooing dots on your head..........

Edited: 06/08/2016 at 03:28 PM by topcat
 05/27/2017 11:30 PM

Author Icon
SeanFUE
Regular Poster

Paleo, any update? Hope all is well.
Statistics
36227 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 241 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 241 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc