hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any downside to Rogaine Foam?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/15/2007 06:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2007 06:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bushy
Accomplished Poster

I started using Rogaine Foam several months ago when I first learned about it.  I was probably at month 5 or 6 and figured it could help promote or accelerate the growth.  Though I've never seen any real growth from Rogaine, I kind of like the effect this stuff has on the hair.  It makes my otherwise unmanageable hair somewhat responsive and cooperative.  So I'm OK with continuing to use it  if it can't hurt.

So here's my question:  Can it hurt?  Is there any downside to using Rogaine?
 01/15/2007 06:17 PM

Author Icon
vhead
Occasional Poster

Apart from getting it mixed up with your Cool Whip, nope

It does tend to disolve quickly on warm hands, so running your hands under cold water before appication is a good idea.
 01/15/2007 07:46 PM

Author Icon
McHale33
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Bushy
I started using Rogaine Foam several months ago when I first learned about it.  I was probably at month 5 or 6 and figured it could help promote or accelerate the growth.  Though I've never seen any real growth from Rogaine, I kind of like the effect this stuff has on the hair.  It makes my otherwise unmanageable hair somewhat responsive and cooperative.  So I'm OK with continuing to use it  if it can't hurt.

So here's my question:  Can it hurt?  Is there any downside to using Rogaine?

I love the stuff, it adds body to the hair, I use it first then, Tricomin 5 mins later. Believe it or not it might also be thickening the hair shafts too for added body, been around 4 months now. and they must have changed the scent from the original batch cause now I'm getiing compliments on it's fragrance. The first batch was a little too strong. How long have you used Rogaine? I've been on Minoxidil, Rogaine and DR Lee's products for over 20 years now.
The downside of the Foam? in relation to what? I'm heading to Cole next Tuesday, last time I started minoxidil 48 hours post-op but will wait at least 5 days this go round. But should I use the Foam or regular minoxidil from Dr Lee? The Foam has butane, glycerine and some other ingredients not in regular rogaine.
Just wondering, can it hurt the grafts.
My hair has thickened up, should I cancel with Cole
 01/16/2007 01:04 PM

Author Icon
Bushy
Accomplished Poster

The downside of the Foam? in relation to what?

Thanks for your responses, guys.  I simply meant is there any downside to using Rogaine.  For example, if I start using it and later stop can I lose more hair than I would if I never got on it?  Can it damage the existing hair or follicles in any way?  Is there, in other words, any potential negative to using minoxidil other than the money spent/wasted?
 01/16/2007 07:57 PM

Author Icon
McHale33
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Bushy

The downside of the Foam? in relation to what?

Thanks for your responses, guys.  I simply meant is there any downside to using Rogaine.  For example, if I start using it and later stop can I lose more hair than I would if I never got on it?  Can it damage the existing hair or follicles in any way?  Is there, in other words, any potential negative to using minoxidil other than the money spent/wasted?

No it can't damage the existing hair follicles, it's been proven to help stimulate, grow and thicken hair.
But your hair will probably get dependent on the stuff.

01/16/2007 09:08 PM

Author Icon
Seth
Occasional Poster

Is there any real difference between Rogaine foam and regular Rogaine? When you guys say that it thickens hair are you referring to Rogaine in general or just the foam version?
 01/16/2007 09:31 PM

Author Icon
AC
Regular Poster

Hi all,

I have been using Rogaine for the past 3 years but only on the hairline. Have always had problems applying it to the crown. Can Rogaine foam be applied all over the head and is this more targeted towards diffuse HL?

01/16/2007 11:50 PM

Author Icon
Mr Spock
Accomplished Poster

How expensive is Rogain foam?  Since it's "genuine" Upjohn I'm assuming they are charging everything they can for it.

01/17/2007 12:45 AM

Author Icon
sux2bme
Prolific Poster

Im curious about the same thing. What about dependency? Any chance that hair that wouldn't have originally been dht succeptible would be have become dependent on the minox? Im guessing not but Im no doctor.
 01/17/2007 12:53 AM

Author Icon
iamevilhomer
Regular Poster

it does indeed warn that any hair regrowth that is from the foam, and any hair that is dependant on it, may just fall out if its use is stopped.

I am currently on month 3 and i am severley regretting using it. BUT, they say you have to give it to month 6 before you know if its working for you, but i honestly cant see myself getting back what i have lost from it.

Much more info on the hairloss open topic threads.
 01/17/2007 01:21 AM

Author Icon
PB
Accomplished Poster

There CAN be a downside... I used Rogaine for 10 months and permanently lost a lot of hair. At first I thought it was just the "initial shedding" that was to be expected and continued using it. The shedding continued and not a single hair grew back. I stopped using it and the shedding stopped. The hair I lost never grew back though. Because of Rogaine, I went from thinking about getting a HT to getting a HT ASAP

So the only good thing about Rogaine was that it made me so bald that I went for the HT and got my hair fixed. Now I don't use any crappy hair meds or snake oils and my hair is fine. My HT saved me lots of time and money; no more spraying of useless greasy crap on my head twice a day, no more cutting of proscar pills. All I do is wash my hair with ordinary shampoo in the mornings and my hair looks great.

PB

-------------------------
My HairLossHelp Gallery

Edited: 01/17/2007 at 01:27 AM by PB
 01/17/2007 11:19 AM

Author Icon
falceros
Prolific Poster

Bushy,

Hello again! I think this is a tricky question, because there can be varying degress of answers. My tendency is to say "no", however what "Iamevilhomer" (funny name by the way) says is true. But the real question is...how does hair become dependent on it? I would argue (without medical research this is just a guess) that the only hair that becomes dependent on it will be hair follicles that were destined to die anyway, therefore needing the minoxodil to stimulate it's regrowth. From what I understand, if my description is accurate coupled along side with regrown hair with minoxodil, there will be NO downside to using it and then stopping later. Again, if I am correct...any hair that was going to die would have died with or without the minoxodil anyway...so it can APPEAR that minoxodil CAN have a downside when you stop it's use...however, one could just as easily conclude that it wasn't the minoxodil's fault.

Hmmm....things to ponder.

Falc
 01/18/2007 08:05 AM

Author Icon
HairHope
Accomplished Poster

Here is my strategy, I started yesterday with foam, however I am likely one of the longest using patients on Rogaine since I was in their clinical trials in the mid-80s.

I am going to use the foam in the day when I need to have my hair in visable good condition and in the evening I will use the 5% spray, hopefully to get the benefits of both.
Statistics
31932 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 14 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 747 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 761 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc