hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Scalp hair is straight, chest hair is curly
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2003 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2003 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ninedonealready
Regular Poster

Why have I not seen anyone in my situation express this concern about transplanting chest hair?

I have straight hair on my head, but my chest hair is curly. I know of the recent study that body hair assumes the characteristics of scalp hair when transplanted, but my reading the study, this seemed to be with regard to hair length.

Poet, TKkid, is your chest hair curly and your scalp hair straight. And is so, is this a concern to you?
 01/16/2003 07:23 PM

Author Icon
TheTKDKid
Accomplished Poster

Poet, TKkid, is your chest hair curly and your scalp hair straight. And is so, is this a concern to you?

My chest hair is fairly straight, as is my scalp hair. There are subtle differences, but they are insignificant in my case. Since I keep my scalp hair buzzed to 3mm or less, these differences are not noticible.

-------------------------
No mission plan survives the first bullet.

Email courage: The uncanny ability to act with unabashed bravado while composing an
email, yet to be completely devoid of any backbone when dealing with the recipient(s) face to face.
 01/16/2003 08:03 PM

Author Icon
ninedonealready
Regular Poster

When you speak of these subtle differences, are you referring to the chest hair transplanted to your scalp, or the chest hair still on the chest?

Are you far along enough to see growth?
 01/17/2003 03:31 AM

Author Icon
TheTKDKid
Accomplished Poster

I was referring to the chest hair still on my chest, as compared to the hair on my scalp. I had 500 grafts of chest hair removed and transplanted to begin the process of repairing a prior donor scar. Since they were transplanted to the back of my head, it is much more difficult for me to determine what the individual grafts look like, as I must view it by looking in a mirror, and holding another behind my head. I will be updating the pictures on my site this weekend with 1 month post-op photos, and this will show that it appears that some of it is beginning to grow (Jan 13th was 1 month post-op). Once my site is updated, please check out my pictures and let me know what you think. Again, I don't think because of how short I keep my hair (buzzed to between 1 and 3mm) that it will ever be noticible.

Also, I don't know if this is true of other guys, but the majority of my body hair is all single hair units, not the mix of 1-4 hair follicular units found on my scalp.

-------------------------
No mission plan survives the first bullet.

Email courage: The uncanny ability to act with unabashed bravado while composing an
email, yet to be completely devoid of any backbone when dealing with the recipient(s) face to face.

Edited: 01/17/2003 at 03:32 AM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 01/17/2003 07:58 AM

Author Icon
poet
Accomplished Poster

My chest hair is not curly but you could say it has a strong wave. I remember Dr.Woods commenting the follicles, "Looked like bananas." I have noticed on my head these still have this strongcteristic where the rest of my hair is slightly wavy though not as much. These hairs also have been coming in later. They are the same color and texture as the rest of my hair with the exception of a slightly stronger wave. I don't know if they will eventually match or not. In my case I like it because it gives additionally coverage and doesn't look strange at all since I have chest hair evenly distributed throughout my head hair. Also it may get less wavy over time, I don't know. It is possible your curly chest hair could look strange on your head, I really don't know. Also it may straighten out over time.
 01/17/2003 08:22 AM

Author Icon
WereWolfhead
Accomplished Poster

I suspect it will assume more and more the characteristics of scalp hair over time. They have found that chest hairs can grow much longer in the scalp than in the chest and assume the length more of their scalp bretheren. They are theorizing that the recipient area is what governs this. If this is true than the chances of kinky chest hair becoming wavy and wavy chest hair becoming relatively straight are decent I would think over time. I think that regardless, chest hair will be good filler for the scalp a ways behind the hairline. I suspect that soon Mayer and some of the flap freaks will be working on a 'pec strip' where they excise an entire slab of chest tissue say 30 by 30 square centimeters and stitch it into the top of a Norwood 7. Only problem with this is that weight lifting subjects who are doing alot of heavy bench pressing may see significant increases in size and girth of their scalps as a result of steady training. best,WWH
 01/17/2003 04:55 PM

Author Icon
ninedonealready
Regular Poster

One thing I'm wondering is if my chest is realy curly, or appears as such because of the angle it grows at?

Does your chest hair lay flat against your chest, or does it fly out. The hair below my chest (stomach) is shorter and lays more flat, but the hair on my chest, especially in the middle, is longer and curlier.
Statistics
32110 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 747 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 751 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc