hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: Current list of outstanding surgeons (Worldwide)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2006 08:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2006 11:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nikkop23
Prolific Poster

since the posters in these kind of threads seem to be getting younger, more naive, and more dogmatic, could any of them differentiate, say, the mid-scalp work of Cooley from that of Wong? or an Alexander crown from that of Shapiro? i doubt it. so what does the term "outstanding" apply to? are we really just talking hairline preferences all over again?

Edited: 11/17/2006 at 09:06 AM by nikkop23
 11/16/2006 11:30 AM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

-------------------------
FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical. My opinions are my own and are not medical advice. Take care not to fall for a sales pitch from clinics who must smear other clinics to get business.
[email protected]

6721 grafts 2 strip sessions
1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro

Edited: 11/16/2006 at 12:12 PM by the B spot

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical. My opinions are my own and are not medical advice. Take care not to fall for a sales pitch from clinics who must smear other clinics to get business.
[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro

Edited: 11/16/2006 at 12:12 PM by the B spot

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

Well, this certainly an interesting thread!!!!!!!

I think what we all can agree on is that there are more than a handful of Dr's that do great work

AND

There are not enough Dr's doing great work worldwide.

I certainly support the work of many HT Doc's, BUT we have to weigh technical/artistic/ethical considerations to try and produce a TOP list.

For Example, someone tossed Dr. Haber in the list. Dr. Haber is known for his removal of donor tissue by many outstanding Doc's.
However, his approach to hairlines and session sizes are not the best, in my opinion. The proper term here would be SOLID/GOOD, NOT great.
Dr. Genschef performed several surgeries on a friend of mine, and the results were GOOD, or very close to being great--- However, I think his technical approach causes excessive bloodloss, swelling and trauma to the scalp. Results were good.
I think Dr. DeYarman does GOOD work
Bernstein is way over-priced/limited session sizes (might be better for older patients with lower expectations)
Alexander seems to prefer to do smaller sessions, (ie 2000 grafts when 3500 could/should be done) His work is great, though.
Not a fan of Bauman, seems to leave excessive amounts of tissue surrounding individual grafts/Lots of media coverage
Bazan----- I have not heard much truly positive about him, could be wrong, looked at the website, not impressed or turned away.
Not a fan of Dr. Jones, as we have seen some good, some OK results from him
Have reservations about Poswal
Not sure I care for Woods and his ("training costs $100,000) artistically I think Cole has him beat by a mile and is a better choice
Rassmann is a pioneer, but not a personal choice for me
Dr. Wolf does really nice work, but I do not like BHT being offered as a replacement to scalp donor at this time
Armani is technically/artistically as good as anyone, but my PERSONAL OPINION is that they operate on patients too early or over-qualify donor availability (GREAT but with reservations)
Dr Rose is as good as anyone-- would like to see him take the initiative and begin doing larger sessions of 3500-4000 when a patient qualifies, as opposed to 2000-2500
Dr. Seager does great work, I do not like the fact that technicians implant EVERY graft, but I guess that many HT clinics employ this same approach, so no big deal-GREAT
Dr. Rahal is a slightly more conservative Armani, who seems to have produced some fantastic results, pricing is very reasonable as well. Great
Dr. Keene does good work, needs an updated website, would like to see some "stunning" results every now and then
Dr. Cooley--GREAT
Dr. Epstein--GREAT
Dr. Feller-- becoming GREAT/Love the internet presence
H&W GREAT
Shapiro-GREAT

These are the doctors I know something about, heard about, seen results, talked with others about, read and seen enough to make reasonable assumptions, some of which may be completely true or not quite, either way probably 8-10 Docs that are GREAT, and many others who are right there. Many of these docs do very good work and work in near obscurity, except within Dr. to Dr. circles. Many of these Docs need to really enhance their websites, and add techs and equipment to handle larger session sizes.

I have posted elsewhere that I think to be truly great, a Doc has to embrace/consider the innovations of others and have his or her innovations embraced/considered by others.

Shapiro-hairlines
Wong-crowns
Rose-closures
Hasson-- session sizes
Armani-hairlines
Cole-FIT
etc...etc... etc...
This is not to say that any of these dr's do poor work elsewhere, as they are leaders in all aspects, but they are "known" for one thing or the other.

Again, this is all completely SUBJECTIVE, and MY OPINIONS ONLY

It should give others a chance to think, research, ask some things when doing consults, posting elsewhere, etc....

[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 11/16/2006 01:02 PM

Author Icon
nikkop23
Prolific Poster

great post, B spot. and i would agree w/ your assessment of Haber. big difference between good and great. what's your take on True/Dorin while you're at it? i've liked their hairline work that i've seen. think you're spot on about Bernstein as well....
 11/16/2006 04:50 PM

Author Icon
Truthfinder
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: MoHair4Me
Truthfinder - what information and criteria are you using when choosing to add certain Dr's to the list of "OUTSTANDING" surgeons?

I don't think Deyarman, Gencheff, Haber are at the level of most of the great surgeons on your list. You seem to be adding names almost arbitrarily which defeats the purpose of your "OUTSTANDING" surgeon list.

You also seem to have a lot of incorrect info. For example you say Dr. Nakatsui performs FUE only. I don't think he does FUE, but he does strip from what I recall. Are you aware of the various HT terminology (FU, FUSS, Strip, FUE, FIT, etc)?

Amazing to virtually see your response, MoHair4Me - you almost seem to raise your finger and make it clear to everybody: "look at this bad guy"...

Just to get a couple of things right:

When you look at the start of this thread I invited everybody to contribute to this list - either by adding new names or by adding any missing information. Compiling a list like this is simply time consuming - at least for me. For that reason it would be nice to have some additional help since everybody who is interesting in HT could benefit from it (ok., not all guys when I think of certain sales people).

So, now you have also contributed to it. Great!

But why don't you do it in a more constructive and less discrediting way? When you proclaim that I have "a lot of incorrect info" - why don't you itemise all the so-called incorrect info? (since "a lot" means quite a few). And why don't you correct them in a more appropriate, professional and matter-of-fact way? And by the way, I have never stated that Dr. Nakatsui performs FUE only as you proclaim. Just to make it clear again, MoHair4Me, this list isn't complete. And of course, there will always be faults somewhere since nobody is perfect.

So, again, you and everybody else are invited to contribute to this mini directory and as such to the benefit of others eg. by adding valuable information.
 11/16/2006 05:33 PM

Author Icon
Truthfinder
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: MoHair4Me
Truthfinder - what information and criteria are you using when choosing to add certain Dr's to the list of "OUTSTANDING" surgeons?

I don't think Deyarman, Gencheff, Haber are at the level of most of the great surgeons on your list. You seem to be adding names almost arbitrarily which defeats the purpose of your "OUTSTANDING" surgeon list.

The information I am using is simply the Internet to do all the research which also includes this forum. Eg. Gencheff and DeYarman were already portrayed in this forum. I then read up on their bio, what they do, in particular what others write about and evaluate their work, how active they are, and finally of course the result of their work.

The final criteria for choosing a certain doctor is his/her level of commitment that he/she shows. Knowledge, experience and skills are certainly essential part of it. For example, James DeYarman has been working in the field of hair loss for more than 30 years and has written and lectured quite extensively about it. Amongst others, he is member of the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons IAHRS.

11/16/2006 06:32 PM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

Hey Nikkop,

You know, I just cannot seem to place Dr. True and Dr. Dorin in a "spot" (no pun intended LOL)

I really like these guys alot, and I think they do some outstanding work AND are willing to show various patients, even if the results are not WOW.
(This is why I give Dr. Feller so much respect and consideration, he posts REALISTIC results, with many great ones tossed in)

I think at this point we have to seperate each Dr.

Dr. Dorin willingly does larger sessions, embraces the latest medical technology, and designs very good hairlines
Dr. True seems to prefer to work in the 1500-2000 range, but I like his hairlines for older men better.

I think each of these Dr's are GREAT technically and ethically, however, they are very GOOD artistically.
Please note, I would NEVER turn a patient away from either of these docs, because they represent what the HT industry is all about --SHARING!

Again, would someone who has not looked at thousands of HT's online and in-person notice the difference, maybe, maybe not.
Unfortunately, I do.

Oh, BTW I forgot to mention Dr. Harris in Colorado----- anyone looking for FUE --Dr. Harris is doing some interesting things in Colorado with his SAFE method.
I am not big on FUE, but his extraction methods are pretty damn impressive. In speaking to several people, they seem to be impressed with his "two-handed" extraction using a blunt punch coupled with a sharper secondary punch (I think I have this right) Anyway, check it out. I would not necessarily have Dr. Harris rebuild a NW 5,6,7, but a top off after 5,6 or 7 thousands grafts might be in order. I would like to see some of his latest work as well.

CHEERS!!!!!

[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 11/16/2006 07:08 PM

Author Icon
MoHair4Me
Accomplished Poster

"you almost seem to raise your finger and make it clear to everybody: "look at this bad guy"... "

LOL....easy there fella. I did not say or mean anything of the sort. Relax a little will ya?

I think it is reasonable to ask what criteria you used before placing someone on your "Outstanding surgeon" list. That way readers can read your criteria and compare it with your list then make their own judgement on whether they agree or disagree. Sounds fair don't you think?

As for contributing, I did offer my suggestion as to which doctors clearly, in my opinion, do not belong on any 'outstanding" list. Dr. Bazan? Must be kidding about that one. Also I did point out one error, but don't have time to correct all of them. Maybe others can chime in if they want. If I think of a name that might be added I will post that as well.

Anyways, don't take this too personally, as you seem to be doing. Just understand that some people will agree with some names on your list and disagree with other names on you list. Other than that I'll give credit to you for attempting to compile a bunch of info into one spot as I know that does take time and effort.

Later!

Edited: 11/16/2006 at 07:11 PM by MoHair4Me
 11/17/2006 01:47 AM

Author Icon
Hairroot
Prolific Poster

Dr. Feller-- becoming GREAT/Love the internet presence

Feller is far from becoming GREAT. He has been looking at GREAT in his rear view mirror as far as i'm concerned for a long time. After personally experiencing surgery with him and seeing several of his patients in person, both Strip and FUE, he is without a doubt leading the field in both techniques. His results are amongst the best around today and his consistantcy with BOTH techniques puts him at the top of any list. But this is only my opinion, as i said i have been fortunate to meet several patients of his which is a must before commiting to surgery with any Dr. Do not assess a Dr's ability on pictures and their patients opinions; see results in the flesh for yourself in order for you to make your own decison on which Dr to go with. I did this and it was certainly a valuable investment of my time

Edited: 11/17/2006 at 01:48 AM by Hairroot
 11/17/2006 03:07 AM

Author Icon
Riley
Prolific Poster

B Spot

Hairroot makes a good point. My question is how many Feller patients have you seen in person vs. Cooley, Epstein , Rose or some of the othher docs u mentioned in the "great category" Are you just going by pictures??Text. Not bashing you. just wondering what criteria you are using.
 11/17/2006 08:48 AM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

You know guys, this is a subjective subject, and we are simply talking shop here.

In the 3 years I have been involved with HT, I have spoken with MANY people, have been sent innumerous photos, seen many people in person, etc....

MANY people I know personally have had HT's, many of them not so good, some really good.

In this case, it is not a question of Dr. Feller's skills, results, etc... I have not really spoken to any of his patients personally, but I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever, putting him in the GREAT category, ESPECIALLY if you and several others feel this strongly about his work.

As many of you know, there is a lot in information that never hits these boards, patient to patient, Dr to patient, dr to dr, etc....

Again, this is a highly subjective topic, so to strongly exclude one doctor or another, AFTER many satisfied members jump in is counterproductive.

We have to continue to hold Dr.s to a high standard of excellence, which is what forums like these are supposed to do. That allows us to make quality and informed decisions as prospective patients.

Again, I reiterate, I think Dr. Feller is becoming great, as his presence on the internet, his constant willingness to show all types of results, and his many patients continue to sing his praises.
I personally like Dr. Feller ALOT.
Glad you guys jumped in =)

That was my only point here guys.

[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 11/17/2006 01:06 PM

Author Icon
Riley
Prolific Poster

Hey B spot

No worries. I wasn't challenging you or even trying to stick up for Feller for that matter. I was wondering what your criteria wsas and you clariified that. You're defo right about subjectivity. Now if my HT come out good you better edit your post and include Feller w the great ones
 11/17/2006 05:13 PM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

No Worries Riley!!!!

Good Luck with Dr. Feller and I look forward to seeing your transformation.

Perhaps, after your surgery, I can get you on the phone for a bit and talk with you about Dr. Feller and your experiences?

Anyway, your in good hands, so don't worry!!!!!!!!

Cheers Mate,
J

[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 11/18/2006 12:15 PM

Author Icon
Truthfinder
Regular Poster

MoHair4Me,

It's good that certain misunderstandings got clarified between us - a good opportunity to make a fresh start. So, why not share your knowledge with facts.

You don't have to search for new names (if you don't want to make time to do relevant research), instead you could complete the existing list eg. with additional, valuable information to make it more comprehensive.When you read my initial post you will find examples how the list could be extended.
 11/18/2006 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Phil Mascallpen
Accomplished Poster

Nice job truthfinder. I think this list is good as a starting off point for a prospective patient. Personally I believe you should never allow a doctor to perform your HT unless you have seen and talked with at least 3 non-employee patients that are fully grown out. I don't care what their reputation is or how great their photos are you usually only get one shot to do this right and even then there is still the chance of excessive scarring or poor growth. Bottom line: SEE PATIENTS.
 11/18/2006 05:22 PM

Author Icon
Truthfinder
Regular Poster

Thanks for the nice words, Phil - I fully agree with what you say. HT is all about trust, isn't it.

The bottom line is, whether we can trust doctor XY to do the surgery or not. And seeing patients and talking with them hopefully gives us this crucial gut feeling - or not. But let us bear in mind that even then there will be no 100% guarantee that everything will go alright with this chosen doctor XY. It is quite natural that a doctor wants to show us his/her best case studies and not the worst ones. Things can go wrong no matter how outstanding the doctor is...

One final thought:

When we finally decide to get a HT done, let us also not forget the long term perspective.

One surgery won't fix it forever! Who can guarantee us that, say in 10, 15 or 20 years time, our hair looks still the same? It is a natural process that our hair keeps falling out even with the best medicine. We might be able to slow down the process. But no medicine stops us from growing older! And losing hair is simply part of the "deal" with nature.

So, over the years we might have to have another surgery done. And another one. And another one. How will we look with, say, 3 or 4 scars on our head in particular when our hair is thinning out where it shouldn't? And can we afford to have that many done? Our priorities may shift significantly over the years, with having a family, having to feed kids and a wife, having to save for retirement or when we need the money for unexpected expenses...

But coming back to the topic of this thread:

Of course, this list/ directory is just ment to be a starting point for potential patients. And the more comprehensive the provided information, the more it can save everybody time when doing the research.
 11/22/2006 07:02 AM

Author Icon
wolfhair
Regular Poster

the B spot:

I just wanted to clear up something I noticed in one of your previous posts. Our office does not offer BHT as a replacement for scalp hair. We offer BHT as a last resort in certain patients. We have only used it in the crown or in donor scars; never in the hairline and never if there is available scalp hair that would do the job better. To date, I think we probably have 10 (or so) BHT patients. It is just another tool we use in the proper situation. Scalp hair, when available, is always our first choice.

Thanks!
 11/22/2006 09:12 AM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

No problem Wolfhair.

Again, Dr. Wolf does some really nice work, which I do not dispute whatsoever.

However, I am glad that you posted Dr. Wolf's stance/view on BHT.

Should I get the chance, I will enjoy speaking with patients of Dr. Wolf in order to get a proper "feel" as far as patient's are concerned.

I understand the neccessity to explore and assume some risks, but BHT is simply untrustworthy as an "alternative solution"

However, IF all scalp donor is exhausted, and an informed patient assumes the chances/risks of BHT, then it is a properly wielded tool.

I WOULD like to see Doc's identify candidates who have exhausted scalp donor and offer reduced rates for BHT transplantation as a chance to increase the studies
(ie. a patient of Dr. Wolf's who has had 6000 fu's placed, but needs an addition 1500-2000 grafts to put them over the top)

As patients increase, we might be able to identify EXACTLY what BHT is capable of, and not guestimate as much.

Thanks Again
J

[email protected]

1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 11/25/2006 11:56 AM

Author Icon
drjim

Originally posted by: Schmokin'
Definitely NOT DeYarman, Truthfinder. You don't have to look too hard to find unhappy DeYarman patients!

Dear Sir: Recently I was reading the posting's in the forum and came across your statement. I appreciate these and other forums because of the honest feedback that they provide. As a surgeon I strive for 100% patient satisfaction therefore it concerns me when I read a vague, negitive post regarding my skills. As part of my practice I encourage patients to share with me or in these forums their truthful opions regarding my work as a surgeon and the results it yeilds. If you have specific information or directed comments regarding my "unhappy DeYarman patients," please let me know so that I can take can address their complaints.
Dr. DeYarman
Statistics
36063 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 472 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 472 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc