hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DATE SET & DR. REVIEW: ROSANELLI'S PROCEDURE
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/05/2005 05:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/05/2005 05:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sac95816
Occasional Poster

Balding Brethern,

I'm a newbie but have done intensive research over the last several months and this site has been invaluable. I went for a consultation with Dr. Rosanelli, S.F., on Friday. I had previously viewed his website with skepticism, as it advertised outdated techniques and offered very few patient photos.

For anyone doing research and desireous of a HT in the Bay area, here's the DL on Dr. Rosanelli. First, He doesn't believe in FUE as clean extractions are difficult and he believes it can result in transecting folicules. Second, he uses single blade scalples, which one should expect. Third, he performs FU, placing single hair grafts on the hairline and micro (two to three FU's, behind the hairline. Fourth, he has a sizable surgery team, 5 to 6 assistants. I was able to meet them and most were vetrans with at least 2 years of experience. Fifth, Rosanelli has 5 to 6 stereo microscopes in the operating room. Sixth, he is flexible on price and will structure payment plans (huge selling point to me as I'm in my last year of law school and don't have 10k in the bank). Seventh, pricing seems reasonble, 1200 grafts for 5K with payments...not bad.

The BAD: First, Rosanelli seems to favor multiple smaller sessions rather than the much heralded "mega session." His reason for this is greater survival rate and reduced shock loss. I'm not sure of the merit of this view but that's it nonetheless. I certainly don't want to undergo three surgeries in a year. Second, he's very conservative with the hairline. His rationale for this is that future hairless will likely occur, even if you're dedicated to life-long medication. Also, at my age (27), he doesn't want to deplete the donor area. (he originally estimated my need at 1500 grafts but I had to argue strenuously just to get 1200 grafts in a single session.)

So that's the good and the bad with Dr. Rosanelli. I'm scheduled for surgery on Oct. 28th and have already paid my deposit. I fully intend to plead for 1200 + grafts on the day of surgery, as I'd like to wait a few years before my next surgery.

Hope this is helpful. Also, I'd appreciate any feedback from you Vets out there.

Rookie question, 1200g on the hairline and top third of the head should make a visible difference, right? But is it enough to re-create most of a hairline (I have little hair remaining on my hairline).
 09/05/2005 09:07 PM

Author Icon
Rugger
Accomplished Poster

Sac..ask yourself just one question...Could it be more than a coincidence, that he doesn't believe in large megasessions (even though there is tons of evidence and results that show these do in fact work quite nicely), but is also not staffed up enough to even DO a megasession???

I have heard this line of crap from people getting consults from doctors who throw out these myths about megasessions, but have never done one themselves...The fact is, if they aren't staffed up to do one, what else CAN they do but try and convince you that smaller sessions are the way to go?...Pure BS...

His price of 5k for 1200 grafts puts him at just over 4 bucks a graft...there are surgeons that do megasessions for less than that, as the additional grafts in a megasession are usually discounted quite heavily...H&W for instance reduces their per/graft price down to $2.50 a graft after I believe the first 2500..do the math, and you can see when you add it all up, that doing all you can do in one session can be much more inexpensive...without even considering the time you will spend with 2-3 additional session with healing, time off work, etc...

Don't get me wrong...This doctor may in fact do very good work, I dont know...But for him to recommend multiple sessions is doing you a clear disservice if you need more than he can do in one session... As far as him claiming a greater survival rate with smaller sessions, let's see his documentation..and also ask him how to explain the additional grafts that will be transected by doing 2-3 strips instead of one...some grafts will be lost with the taking of the strip, no matter who the surgeon is...so common sense should tell you that doing three strip sessions will put many more grafts at risk than one large session..

Bottom line is that if you're having to "plead" for a measly 1200 grafts in one session, I'd suggest you keep searching for other surgeons...Especially if in the end, you need more like 1800-2000...

Edited: 09/05/2005 at 09:17 PM by Rugger
 09/05/2005 09:41 PM

Author Icon
Phil Mascallpen
Accomplished Poster

I looked at his website and it's pretty bad. It says he still does scalp reductions. If this is true then I would not go to him. Also his before and afters, all 3 of them, are poorly lit and look bad.
 09/06/2005 01:46 AM

Author Icon
sac95816
Occasional Poster

I agree that the website is terrible. The site advertises not only scalp reductions (a barbarous and disfiguring practice) but also "dialaters," another exteremely outdated device. Dr. Rosanelli seems extremely credible and honest. He never made extreme promises or overly optomistic prognostices. He told me that he, in fact, doesnt' currently use either of the aforementioned techniques and hasn't in appx. 10 years. I must say that the patient photos seem a little outdated and scarce. Still, Dr. Rosanelli has a large staff and as my previous post mentions he seems to use the most current procedures, with one exception: he seems to use micro grafts behind the hairline. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that but some have warned that micro grafts, even behind the hairline, result in "dolls hair" effect. Should I be worried that few people have heard of this doctor despite the number of patients he's allegedly operated on in the past 10 years? Should I be concerned by the number of small number of grafts suggested or multiple surgeries recommended?

Thanks again!
 09/06/2005 05:57 AM

Author Icon
Skywalker
Accomplished Poster

He doesn't believe in FUE as clean extractions are difficult and he believes it can result in transecting folicules.

A translation: Dr. Rosanelli cannot do FUE successfully.

Rosanelli seems to favor multiple smaller sessions rather than the much heralded "mega session." His reason for this is greater survival rate and reduced shock loss.

A translation: Dr. Rosanelli cannot do "mega sessions" successfully.

-------------------------
A 'Government Study' is not necessarily proof - "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

Have not had an HT, turned down by 3 clinics, sadly they were right, my donor area has miniaturised.
Now here to look for any advances and give newbies another opinion.

The guy in the centre of my icon doing the inspection of scars is the ideal potential HT candidate:- Doubting Thomas
 09/06/2005 08:00 AM

Author Icon
Rugger
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: sac95816
I agree that the website is terrible. The site advertises not only scalp reductions (a barbarous and disfiguring practice) but also "dialaters," another exteremely outdated device. Dr. Rosanelli seems extremely credible and honest. He never made extreme promises or overly optomistic prognostices. He told me that he, in fact, doesnt' currently use either of the aforementioned techniques and hasn't in appx. 10 years. I must say that the patient photos seem a little outdated and scarce. Still, Dr. Rosanelli has a large staff and as my previous post mentions he seems to use the most current procedures, with one exception: he seems to use micro grafts behind the hairline. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that but some have warned that micro grafts, even behind the hairline, result in "dolls hair" effect. Should I be worried that few people have heard of this doctor despite the number of patients he's allegedly operated on in the past 10 years? Should I be concerned by the number of small number of grafts suggested or multiple surgeries recommended?
Thanks again!

Sac...you seem to be here not for advice, but to defend your choice in surgeon..you've got enough people here telling you that there are better and cheaper surgeons..EVERY doctor comes across as a nice guy..come on!..they're trying to drum up business...And actually, his staff isn't big at all...certainly not big enough to accomodate anything more than 1200 grafts in a session..

If you only need one 1200 graft session, and you dont care that the doctor uses micrografting behind the hairline, which you already know is less than desirable for natural results, then go for it..its your money...

Edited: 09/06/2005 at 10:36 AM by Rugger
 09/06/2005 12:03 PM

Author Icon
sac95816
Occasional Poster

Rugger,

who would you recommend in the bay area for a similar price and who's willing to work out a payment schedule? As I stated, I'm in my last year of law school and don't have 10k in the bank, so price and payment options are a must. I could wait a couple of years but would rather not. I do appreciate the advice...
 09/06/2005 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Rugger
Accomplished Poster

honestly Sac...Don't make the mistake of going to someone "just" because they have a great payment arrangement...If they screw you up, or at best give you an HT that is not natural looking, you'll end up spending more than twice your original cost in fixing it, IF it's fixable...

Capital one offers cosmetic surgery financing actually...capitalonehealthcarefinance.com..pretty low rates according to their website...

With HT's, you really want to get someone in the top tier...HW is the closest and probably most reasonably priced...and they do megasessions routinely now..but maybe you dont need a megasession...But it sounds as if you definitely need more than this doctor in SF can do in one setting...I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here on the forum that would advise you to do 2 or 3 small sessions rather than one good sized one..You've got certainly nothing to lose by contacting HW for a consult..just as another opinion...They also comp your flight up to $400...as well as comping two nights stay at a very good local hotel if you do decide to go with them..

Again, I don't know a thing about Dr. Rosanelli's capabilities..he may indeed get very good results..but with micrografting, and not being able to do more than 1200, it seems on the surface that you may need to look into some other potential options...

Edited: 09/06/2005 at 07:11 PM by Rugger
 09/06/2005 05:50 PM

Author Icon
Phil Mascallpen
Accomplished Poster

sac,
can he provide three patients for you to see in person? this guy has been in the bay area for years so if he can't even do that run away.
 09/06/2005 07:54 PM

Author Icon
sac95816
Occasional Poster

This site is a godsend. Thanks so much for all the opinions and insights. It's been really helpful. I'll continue to read and hope to learn from all of your posts
Statistics
32368 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1302 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1310 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc