hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hair loss at 16
Topic Summary: I'm gradually losing my hair and I really need help
Created On: 11/02/2015 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2015 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
UncertainCactus

Where do I begin...My hair loss started in March. I have no idea what caused it. I was slightly stressed because of my boyfriend but I don't believe it's enough to cause such a drastic change of events. Or it could have been, I don't know. Anyway, I dyed my hair at least three or four times over the course of nine months. The first time I dyed it red, leaving the dye in for four hours. My hair was dark and very thick, so I thought leaving it longer would help the color show more. Fast forward some and I dyed it again because the color started fading. Then I proceeded to dye it black, then blue, then red again. Okay so like five times I dyed it. Now the fifth time I dyed it red was back in Jan of this year. I left it again for four hours and I assume because I had dyed it black that the red didn't show...so I stupidly dyed it again for four MORE hours. Oh gosh I'm starting to cry just thinking about it. My poor locks. So yeah, that happened. In March of this year, a little before my 16th birthday, I used two tresemme hair products in my hair that made it stiff. Without thinking, I combed through my hair. Then in the shower, without shampooing first, I combed it. This was for...three days. I decided to stop when I realized I hair wasn't as poofy as before. It was a bit limp. So I showered and shampooed and realized my hair was a bit thinner than before. I didn't think much of it.

In May my hair had gone down to...40-30% of its original thickness. This caused me some stress but again, I thought nothing of it. Then in June I noticed my part was widening and I found some itchy bumps on my scalp. On the 21st of June I convinced my dad to shave off my hair.

So....it started to grow. It looked pretty decent when it was dry. When it was wet it looked like absolute crap. When my hair grew an inch...in about September or late August, the left side of my hair was thicker than the right. The back part of my scalp was also thick. The right side was thinner than normal but I assume from the gradual thinning that it just looked worse. The right side has always been thinner than the rest of my hair.

Fast forward to..last week? I can see my scalp through my hair...all over. The back has thinned, the right side has thinned...it's just thinning. It's gaining length but it's just thinning! And I don't know what to do! Should I shave it off again?

Is this telogen effluvium? I think it is. It's diffused thinning and gradual. I don't have bald spots.

Please, please help me. I can't go to a dermatologist because they're all about $175 and up. Can I wait this out? Has anyone dealt with this before? Please help. I'm trying not to stress. I really need help. It's getting to the point where I can't hide it.

I should also mention that the amount of hair I lose a day is usually 40-50 strands. There hasn't been a change in my diet really. I've always had thick hair though I refused to eat eggs and such. Fruit has never been a huge part of my diet but I'm fairly healthy. I have good eyesight and all that. No physical ailments. I don't know if that helps. I'm also 5'1" and 87lbs. Again, this hasn't really posed any issues in the past.

Please help me. I need to know if it'll get better.
 04/25/2016 12:46 AM

Author Icon
Harshkumar

Hair loss can affect both men and women. While genes play a vital role, there are usually other reasons as well, including, hormonal imbalances, an under-active thyroid gland, nutritional deficiencies and insufficient blood circulation in the scalp. Hair loss is a mammoth problem that many people are suffering from. There are lots of factors behind this hair fall problem. Let's take a look at the home remedies of hair fall. Follow these home remedies to control hair loss naturally. If you want naturally hair regrowth, then try this homemade tips for long hair and healthy hair.
 04/25/2016 01:03 AM

Author Icon
Harshkumar

Take any natural oil - olive, coconut, canola - and heat it up so that it is warm, but not too hot. Massage it gently into your scalp. Put on a shower cap and leave it on for an hour, then shampoo your hair.
 04/26/2016 03:10 AM

Author Icon
madihakhan

Female pattern baldness is the most common type of hair loss in women.
Causes

Each strand of hair sits in a tiny hole (cavity) in the skin called a follicle. In general, baldness occurs when the hair follicle shrinks over time, resulting in shorter and finer hair. Eventually, the follicle does not grow new hair. The follicles remain alive, which suggests that it is still possible to grow new hair.

The reason for female pattern baldness is not well understood, but may be related to:

Aging
Changes in the levels of androgens (male hormones). For example, after reaching menopause, many women find that the hair on their head is thinner, while the hair on their face is coarser.
Family history of male or female pattern baldness.

Symptoms

Hair thinning is different from that of male pattern baldness. In female pattern baldness:

Hair thins mainly on the top and crown of the scalp. It usually starts with a widening through the center hair part.
The front hairline remains unaffected except for normal recession, which happens to everyone as time passes.
The hair loss rarely progresses to total or near total baldness, as it may in men.

Itching or skin sores on the scalp are generally not seen.
Exams and Tests

Female pattern baldness is usually diagnosed based on:

Ruling out other causes of hair loss.
The appearance and pattern of hair loss.
Your medical history.

The doctor will examine you for other signs of too much male hormone (androgen), such as:

Abnormal new hair growth, such as on the face or between the belly button and pubic area
Changes in menstrual periods and enlargement of the clitoris
New acne

A skin biopsy or other procedures or blood tests may be used to diagnose skin disorders that cause hair loss.

Looking at the hair under a microsope may be done to check for problems with the structure of the hair shaft itself.
Treatment

Hair loss in female pattern baldness is permanent, if not treated. In most cases, hair loss is mild to moderate. You do not need treatment if you are comfortable with your appearance.

MEDICATION

The only medication approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat female pattern baldness is minoxidil:

It is applied to the scalp.
For women, the 2% concentration is recommended.
Minoxidil may help hair grow in about 1 in 4 or 5 of women. In most women, it may slow or stop hair loss.
You must continue to use this medicine for a long time. Hair loss starts again when you stop using it.

If minoxidil does not work, your doctor may recommend other medicines, such as spironolactone, cimetidine, birth control pills, ketoconazole, among others. Your doctor can tell you more about these if needed.

HAIR TRANSPLANT

During hair transplant, tiny plugs of hair are removed from areas where hair is thicker, and placed (transplanted) in areas that are balding. Minor scarring may occur where hair is removed. There is a slight risk of skin infection. You will likely need many transplants, which can be expensive. However, the results are often excellent and permanent.

OTHER SOLUTIONS

Hair weaving, hairpieces, or a change in hairstyle can help hide hair loss and improve your appearance. This is often the least expensive and safest way to deal with female pattern baldness.
Outlook (Prognosis)

Female pattern baldness is usually not a sign of an underlying medical disorder.

Hair loss may affect self-esteem and cause anxiety.

Hair loss is usually permanent.
When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call your doctor or nurse if you have hair loss and it continues, especially if you also have itching, skin irritation, or other symptoms. There might be a treatable medical cause for the hair loss.
Prevention

There is no known prevention for female pattern baldness.
Alternative Names

Alopecia in women; Baldness - female; Hair loss in women; Androgenetic alopecia in women
References

Bunagan MJK, Banka N, Shapiro J. Hair transplantation update: procedural techniques, innovations, and applications. Dermatol Clin. 2013;31:141-153.

Mesinkovska NA, Bergfeld WF. Hair: what is new in diagnosis and management? Female pattern hair loss update: diagnosis and treatment. Dermatol Clin.

Sperling LC, Sinclair RD, El Shabrawi-Caelen L. Alopecias. In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Schaffer JV, eds. Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier Saunders; 2012:chap 69.

Edited: 07/20/2016 at 11:33 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
Statistics
35872 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 237 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 238 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc