hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Body Fat and Hair Loss?
Topic Summary: Body Fat and Hair Loss?
Created On: 07/31/2014 02:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2014 02:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yrivers74

Has anyone seen any kind of research about female body fat and hair loss? I saw a comment on an old, disabled forum about women with less than 18% body fat having hair issues and would like to know more if possible ... My hair has only been shedding for two months, but it's terrifying to me because it feels like I've lost half of it and the shedding doesn't seem to be slowing down. Docs think it's "stress". I don't have a thyroid problem and apparently I'm not perimenopausal (I'm 40). I started taking iron two months ago because my ferritin is on the low side (25). I'm also taking fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin d, and I eat a high omega 3 diet. But my body fat is fairly low (17%). This is already increased for me (used to be 13%) but I'm wondering if I should try to gain more fat to see if it will help my hair ... I know everyone understands how frustrating it is to have hair shedding and not know what is causing it. I just wish there was someone who could help! But I've seen several docs and there's just no way anyone can know.
 08/28/2014 08:23 PM

Author Icon
andrea_lav

I'd say it does affect you if you have an iron defficiency or a poor diet. Some people are built with low body fat. If the issue is with ferritin, it'll probably correct itself after a few months of taking multivitamins.
Also, if it's stress it should also stop soon. Shedding because of stress is usually about 6 months long. If it lasts longer, you should maybe get your hormone levels tested. At least this is my issue.
 07/19/2016 09:48 PM

Author Icon
Jamie46

Didn't know that body fat will cause hair loss.
 10/05/2016 10:11 AM

Author Icon
beemark
Prolific Poster

Body fat does not cause hair loss, but eating a very low fat diet does. Rapid weight loss from extra-strict dieting often results in hair loss due to loss of nutrients. The hair loss may - or may not - be permanent; it varies from person-to-person.

-------------------------
Disclaimer: I am a seller of hair systems.
Statistics
35936 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 770 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 770 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc