hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Best Topical Regimen - Advice Badly Needed
Topic Summary: Dropping fin dose and adding topicals...
Created On: 08/01/2011 11:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/01/2011 11:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bigT
Regular Poster

As the title states really: I am planning to drop my daily dose of finasteride from 1.25mg daily to 0.5mg and then possibly 0.25mg to combat moderate sides (gyno/low libido) and because it's healthier (ideally id like to get off it completely but reducing in the first instances).

Been on fin at the full dose for over 7 years and have only ever used Nizoral Shampoo 2% 1 or 2 times a week topically. Had a small FUE 5 years back and may go back for more. Considering a cropped/shaved hair cut long-term.

Other than Nizoral I've never used any topicals so would appreciate some candid advice on a good regimen.

I am thinking Minoxidil 5% but would like to try and fight DHT topically too, is Spiro the best choice here, if so which product(s)? Are there 2 or more different ways androgens can be fought topically? All the talk of antagonist and receptors left me dizzy after reading the forum for a bit!

I am not going to go as far as some do with RU etc and making up solutions from powders from research labs as too much trouble for me personally.

So it's Nizoral 2%, Minoxidil 5% (or stronger/with other active ingredients?), Spiro.......

And what else/instead.......

All input much appreciated
 08/02/2011 03:40 AM

Author Icon
nobelvictim
Prolific Poster

There are a lot of options here big T! (& feel free to correct me here anyone else I'm not a chemist!) The different topicals all have different biochemical reasons why they work- so you can 'stack' them if you like. I like spiro which is basically feminizing the scalp and in theory preventing production of dht in the follicle by male hormones but my regular supplier was the Dr Lee xandrox company so I dont have anyone to recommend you buy it from really! You could try saw palmetto (both oraly & as a topical as you can buy a tincture in health food stores) which works by making cells like the prostate or hopefully hairs less able to bind with dht. azelaic acid found in xandrox type products is supposed to inhibit dht in the scalp, later formulations of this this were available with finasteride so you could do worse than crusing up the pills you arnt taking oraly and chucking them in your minoxidil - they dissolve very well!

Orally you could do worse than adding things like zinc and efa's or green tea that are supposed to help combat dht too!

Good luck
 08/05/2011 09:58 AM

Author Icon
Duke
Occasional Poster

I was on minox/proscar for about 4 1/2 yrs and dropped them both for perscription prophixen and revivogen combo. I have been really happy with the results (maintenance).

If you intend to make the switch, i would recccomend weaning yourself off proscar and perhaps think about keeping rogaine and nizoral in your regimen.
 08/10/2011 10:43 AM

Author Icon
x5992
Regular Poster

I tried using spiro lotion from Dr. Lee for a very short while. Unless you had a buzz cut it's a pain to use.
 08/15/2011 08:18 PM

Author Icon
ripple-effect

I really believe topical DHT inhibition is the best route to combat hair loss because you are going straight to the source of the problem. Some products I would recommend:

Perfect Image Solutions Minoxidil 15% & Azelaic Acid 5% DHT Inhibitor

Minoxidilmax: Dualgen15 for Sensitive Scalp: 15% Minoxidil Plus 5% Azelaic Acid

or just a plain ol' topical DHT inhibitor like Revivogen should do the trick.
 10/16/2011 11:18 AM

Author Icon
psantos
Regular Poster

Piroctone olamine, also try Nizoral cream, do something daily to fight DHT, alternating between the 2.

I am considering using Nizoral cream daily. There was a study in Japan seems to have had good results.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-l...order-last_answer.html
 11/08/2011 02:24 PM

Author Icon
NickF

Hi guys
im 33 and have just started to thin
this is Stressing me out and need help
what do you guys recommend
i am new to this and beed advice
i heard that minoxidil can help but have also heard that it may not
 11/08/2011 02:42 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

Hey there Nick

Dont mean to alarm but You would have been thinning long before you visibly started to see thinning on your head
your hair would have been falling out long before

I got con by going to a company whom claimed (98% success rate if caught early
thinking I had caught my hairloss early to only find out this was a trap to get me in the door and get me onto their over priced minoxidil

If your hairloss is due to DHT

try Advodart

go and see your doctor have your DHT levels tested

this can help in the short term

be active with your treatment otherwise your hair will continue to fall out

Good luck mate

Alex!

-------------------------
Alex -
 11/08/2011 02:55 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

BTW - see your doctor not a hairloss company doctor
they are paid by the company therefore will be promoting the companies interest
think about it
sorry for being blunt but this kind of information could have saved me alot of money
if i was aware when i started off in addressing my hair loss concerns

Alex -
 11/10/2011 03:44 AM

Author Icon
EKelly

Sound advice

RN: Elaine R Kelly
 11/10/2011 03:48 AM

Author Icon
NickF

Thanks
so you think that minox wont help?
 11/10/2011 12:58 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

Hey there Nick

That is not what I am saying

I was merly point out that before you started to viisibly see hair loss you would have been lossing hair long before

Was pointing out to aware of the different minoxidils out there and get a unbaisis opinon

what I am saying is that a comibnation may assist you beter than just stand alone minoxidil

AVODART is not a medication that is directly release for Hairloss so the company itself doesnt promote it as a hairloss product having said that it is a medication that has shown to halt the hair loss by preventing the testostorone from turing into DHT

I have enlosed a link for further information regarding Avodart, you might want to read up on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutasteride

Anyway have a look

I was recommended by my practioner to use this as part of my treatment when I stoped using Proscar

Good luck

Alex!

Alex -

Edited: 11/10/2011 at 01:09 PM by alexandercac
 11/10/2011 01:06 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

forgot to mention

inregards to minoxidil

If you live or have access to a big City
Checkout your local compound pharmacy
no doubt they will be able to create a potent minoxidil that can kick arse over any other minoxidil being pushed by the promoting players in the industry

from my personal experience I had found that my local compound phamacy was able to produce a stronger more potent minoxidil

Had much better results

Good luck

Alex!

Alex -
 11/10/2011 02:14 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

Big T

You might want to try

Topical MINOXIDIL $15% stregnth with RETINYL A apply once a day
any compound pharmacy could create this for you but you would need a prescription depending where you are residing

I would also take orally either proscar or avodart depending on your hairloss

If you havent use Proscar before than I would suggest go with Proscar first over AVODART

less side effects and can see weather that can help

NIZORAL Shampoo is also good idea if your condition is related to DHT as with AVODART and PROSCAR

Initially I used MINOXIDIL at 5% on its own which I found didnt really do much so I went on MINOXIDIL 5% plus RETINYL A which seem to work HOWEVER after a few years on that my practioner suggested to use FINESTERIDE which become expensive so switched over to PROSCAR as it is the same product but more affordable was good for the first 2 to 3 years but than I started to lose hair again so made the switch to AVODART with good results by good i mean I was able to maintain the hair I have (for the following 6 years) not to sure as to why I have started to lose hair again maybe a tolerance level So i am now back at the drawing board looking for othether options.

will post if or when I come into something else or see beter result

thus far the above program has been effective but I have found my body has built a tolerence to both minoxidil and Avodart

GL
Alex!

Alex -
 11/10/2011 02:16 PM

Author Icon
alexandercac
Occasional Poster

Anyone have any other products that has worked for them or can suggest?

Alex -
Statistics
36352 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 112 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 112 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc