hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: L-Lysine stops hairloss but promotes Follicle Miniturization!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2002 08:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2002 08:07 AM
User is offline Print this message

Anonymous
Anonymous User

L-Lysine stops hairloss but promotes Follicle Miniturization! This result has happened to myself and three friends who were adivsed by Spencer Kobren that adding L-Lysine to a Propecia Regimen would left fallout and thicker hair. The first is true -- the second absolutely false based on 3 out of 3 individuals who starting supplmenting Propecia with 1500 mg/ dose of L-lysine (TwinlaBS Brand).
Hair count and fallout seemed to maintain but our hair is now extremely thin -- LIke baby hair. From examing the thickness of before and 1 year later after hair samples under a microscope the shaft appears to be about 1/3 the thickness of the original hair. Though the hair count seems to be maintained, the actaul appearance of more hairloss is because the shaft diameters have declined by 66% - hence the appearance of 66% more hairloss than appeared before.

Is there anything else out there that maintains hair that won't cause miniaturization?

Thin Frizzy
 02/02/2002 09:20 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

Your hair was probably getting thin due to hairloss not Lysine. The progress for hairloss is a fallout and then the miniturization of the hair shaft. This goes on for a few hair cycles until you no longer see the hairs.
 02/04/2002 06:25 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

"Your hair was probably getting thin due to hairloss not Lysine."

Four out four took Lysine and the fifth person didn't. The 5th has less hair now but the hair he has is thicker than the other four.
Lysine must be doing this.

"The progress for hairloss is a fallout and then the miniturization of he hair shaft."

L-lsyine is supposed to thicker the next cyle of growth (as Propecia does).

I think L-lysine disturbs the delicate hormonal balance necessary for healthy hair growth. And actully causes miniaturization.

02/04/2002 02:24 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

Like I really believe this BS about "conducting a study with four of your friends". How gullible do you think people are?

Look, don't use Lysine if you don't want to. But don't post lies about how you and your friends are doing your own tests.

End of story.
 02/04/2002 02:27 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

First you said it was four people, with 3 taking Lysine. Then you say it's five people, with four people taking Lysine.

Get your lies straight before you try to discredit Lysine. You might actually fool somebody then.
 02/04/2002 06:38 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

It was 3 people other than my self that took the Lysine Moron. And the fifth guy, who I didn't mention in the original post because he didn't take Lysine only Propecia.
Get your comprehensive skills straight,Moron.
 02/04/2002 07:12 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

I jumped on the L-Lysine bandwagon like so many other dudes. I don't know if it was from the L-lysine, but my hair shedded terribly at the same time I was on it and it looked much more thinner.

So I dropped the L-lysine this fall. I don't know if the L-Lysine did it, but my hair looked terrible while on it.
 02/05/2002 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thin Tin Tin
Occasional Poster

A few questions: What was in your regimen besides Propecia and Lysine? How long were you taking Propecia before you added Lysine, and was there any progress then? Why were you taking 1500mg per day? (thought I heard somewhere that the recommended dosage was only 1000mg per day).

If anybody, most preferably someone with a USERNAME, has actually taken Lysine and noticed any effect in their hairloss or hair regrowth progress please post.
 02/05/2002 02:49 PM

Author Icon
thinningnugget
Accomplished Poster

Hi Thin Tin Tin and others.......I use L-Lysine now and to be honest i was taken it before i started finast,i will say back then i did notice less "fallout" even more so now with finastBut then again what works for some may not work for all,i find it hard to believe that L-Lysine alone would cause this guy to have more loss,but then again nothing surprises mei take 1000mg daily on an empty stomach!

......thinningnugget
 02/07/2002 04:27 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

Do Farrel and Bryan P take L-Lysine?
 02/07/2002 06:28 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

I took Lysine for six months. Previous to that I was on Propecia for 3 years. After the six months my hair changed texture from thick and wavy to extremely dry and thin and straight. I blame it on the Lysine.
Stopped it 3 months ago and the thick texture did not return.
Lysine does I believe cause miniaturization!
 02/09/2002 05:43 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

--my first post-- man this stinks. All I know is that Spencer kobren reccommended it and said he was using it, so I started taking it like 4 months ago. i have not seen ANY difference, positive or negative, but this makes me all the more confused. I can't stand how we are supposed to be so technologically advanced but we can't find out which priducts are beneficial and which are adversarial. I wish I wish I wish...
 02/11/2002 02:21 PM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

So I'm curious, does anyone know how much lysine the avg american consumes in a day through their diet?

Just wondering by how many orders of magnitude a 1500mg/day supplement is greater than what one would normally get.

Anyone?
 02/12/2002 02:38 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

It's a small fraction of what you already get in your diet, except when you supplement it like we do, we are isolating it, for a specific effect. Who knows if it works, there is one study that claims it does. Your main weapons are still Propecia and Minoxidil, Lysine is like frosting on the cake, just a little something extra, you may not even need it.

This whole thread is confused:

"L-Lysine stops hairloss but promotes Follicle Miniaturization!"

Um, duh? Hairloss IS Follicle Miniaturization, it's the same thing. When you lose hair, it's because the follicles miniaturize over time, until they are insignificant. So it can't stop hairloss AND miniaturize follicles, they are opposites, you can't have both.

I still think this thread is bullsh*t.
 02/12/2002 02:43 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

Also, you said you started using Lysine a year ago, because Spencer Kobren said to. But Spencer only started telling people to use it a few months ago, definitely much less than a year ago (unless it's in his book, which I didn't read).

This sounds like a bunch of BS.
 02/14/2002 06:47 AM

Anonymous
Anonymous User

Spencer spoke of L-lysine a year ago that December.
As for Miniaturization Vs. Fallout -- these are two different things.
Miniaturization ist a process that happens with each cycle of growth.
The follicle shrinks and produces a thinner hair. Fallout is just fallout. ANd Lysine does stop "just fallout" but seems to promote subsequent cycles of growth to come in thinner or more miniturized.
Put that in your Propecia Pipe and smoke it.
 02/14/2002 11:31 AM

Author Icon
Triston
Occasional Poster

I take TwinLab Amino Acids. Each pill contains 445 mg L-Lysine, among many other Amino Acids, including Arginine. The directions suggest taking 2-4 pills 3 times a day with meal. I find that to be way too much, as well as, it gets expensive. When I began, I took two pills/day. No change. I moved up to 4 pills a day, 1 in morning, and 1 in evening, and I'm not sure if its the Amino Acids, or Nizoral, since I started using them both around the same time, but I notice less amt of hair-loss in shower, and styling.

I know I'm not going to stop taking this stuff.

NOTE: I do not take Propecia or Minox. I'm on the more "natural" regimen, and using Saw Palmetto. So far, so good. X fingers crossed
Statistics
32083 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 922 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 929 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc