hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2%, 5%, 10%, or 15% Minoxidil
Topic Summary: Best strength to start with
Created On: 11/03/2016 02:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/03/2016 02:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thin to Bald

Hello everyone, I've only recently joined the forum after the Mrs made an off the cuff remark about how thin my hair was looking. I don't think she meant much by it but it was a bit of a wake up call for me. Anyhow, I have read what seems hundreds of articles and forums regarding all the various products and remedies available for thinning hair. The one common denominator in the all the discussions seems to be the use of Minoxidil to help prevent or, at least, to slow baldness.

My question is, I have seen on various websites that there are many different strengths of Minoxidil available: 2%, 5%, 10%, or 15% Minoxidil. It seems that in the UK the maximum you can purchase is 5% although I have seen the odd bottle of 15% Minoxidil available on eBay. Is Minoxidil a case of the stronger the better the results are or should I be starting with 2% and wait to see the results before moving to a stronger dosage?

I appreciate any advice as I'm nervous as heck about putting anything on my head that will result in losing what hair I do have quicker than if I didn't do anything at all.
 04/11/2017 08:30 AM

Author Icon
newandold
Occasional Poster

Generally speaking, the more concentrated the Minoxidil the better
but remember the law of diminishing returns, 10% just won't yield 2x results than 5%

I'm not supposed to say this but you can also use more mL per day for more results.
At one point I was using 4 to 5 mL 5% Minox a day!
Not healthy and I clearly felt systemic absorption side effects (blurred vision, racing heartbeat) but hair DID regrow/thicken everywhere in my body. Again not healthy and don't advise to imitate, just telling the facts.
 05/15/2017 04:46 AM

Author Icon
Thin to Bald

Thanks for the reply. I took the step of starting with 5% minoxidil and applied at the recommended doseage. That was back in November and, fingers crossed, it does seem to be having a positive affect and can see thicker hair where it was once very thin.
I'm from the UK and purchased my first 6 month supply of minoxidil from a US seller but it took a while to arrive and I had to pay some extra money due to customs etc. I now need to order my next 6 month. I see there is a UK seller, namely Minoxidil2U, but has anyone purchased from them? As usual, I'm careful about where I buy these products with regard to them being genuine products or not. The Minoxidil2U site looks ok and payment is via PayPal so I'm guessing any purchase would be covered by them if there is a problem.

Also, after researching other hair loss prevention products I may look into purchasing generic finasteride. Would anyone have a reliable source of finasteride in the UK?
 08/14/2017 04:11 PM

Author Icon
jazzb
Accomplished Poster

Hey I started with 5% I would not advise jumping on 15% straight away, the past 3 years I been using 15% alongside 5% works treat for me.
Statistics
35972 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 206 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 206 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc