hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Toppik Danger? - PLEASE HELP!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/22/2016 04:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/22/2016 04:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
powerhouse45
Prolific Poster

At 31 after nearly 8 years of hair loss I finally decided to try a concealer. No product looked more amazing and well-reviewed than what seems like the front runner of hair fibers - TOPPIK. Of course as well-reviewed and popular as it seems over the years in the hair loss world, at least here in New York there is not a single thing of Toppik to be found in a store (am I the only one who finds that odd?) Finally last night I had time to play around and practice with it for a good 20 minutes. I was pretty amazed with the results, yet sad of course, knowing that it has come to the point of having to pay to spray fake hair into my head while every other friend of mine doesn't have a shred of loss. ANYWAY... onto the more serious and who knows, maybe now life threatening situation...

As with EVERY OTHER SINGLE SOLITARY hair loss product/treatment I've seen over the years, came a problem with this Toppik. Turns out that after the 20 minutes of doing up my hair last night around 9pm, I began noticing a slight burning sensation in my upper chest. Coughing has been happening too. Yep, you guessed it, even though I tried not to, I clearly inhaled some of this stuff. It is now 8am and without question I am still feeling the effects. Feeling quite unwell actually. I really cannot explain the disgust and frustration I have with hair loss products, especially in this case where its not even for regrowth, but just a spray cosmetic, also being a problem for me. Not touching this stuff again now obviously, but my questions are #1 - How does everyone else deal with spraying on Toppik or any hair fibers for that matter? Has this happened to anyone else? And #2 - How serious is this? I'm hoping it clears up by the end of the day but part of me thinks an actual trip to the doctor is now in order for after work.

I am also thinking another popular concealer called Dermatch might be a better option.

Please help.

Edited: 03/22/2016 at 05:36 AM by powerhouse45
 03/30/2016 09:07 AM

Author Icon
powerhouse45
Prolific Poster

200 views and not a single reply?

Is this still a discussion forum or a read only forum? Lol
 07/15/2016 01:15 AM

Author Icon
alt9

Don't worry about that one time, but from now on START WEARING A MASK - go buy some masks at any hardware store and use it when you use the concealer.
Over the short term, weeks to months, inhaling the fibres won't have a noticeable effect, but I could almost guarantee that over the long-term, inhalation of these fibres will cause lung disease.
It's a type of lung disease called pneumoconiosis.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I'm in the medical field but this is my "unofficial" recommendations and obviously always consult your doctor. But I could guarantee that your doctor would support and have no objections to your wearing a mask when using a fine particulate material like the concealers.

Get a mask that seals the entire mouth like an N95 mask.
I also wear goggles to protect the eyes, because obviously if fibres could go into the mouth and nose, they accumulate on your eye conjunctiva. It looks kind of silly to wear goggles and mask, but hey, no one sees you, and this will have an impact on your health.
Statistics
36058 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 308 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 308 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc