hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can I use minoxidil once a day?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/19/2012 10:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/19/2012 10:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ssolriah
Accomplished Poster

I've tried twice (Kirkland at night and Rogaine Foam at morning)but it ruins my hair for the day.

-------------------------
"No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality."

-20.4.2011 Avodart 0.5mg
-Nizoral 2009 1-2/week
-20.2.2012 Rogaine Foam (at nights)
-RUM 15.3.2012 (temples)
-1.7.2012Fin 1mg
 02/19/2012 11:35 PM

Author Icon
DrewNYC
Regular Poster

Yes it stays in the blood for around 24 hours and I believe it says in the skin for even longer (perhaps a few days).
 02/20/2012 04:03 PM

Author Icon
sandman
Accomplished Poster

DrewNYC is misinformed!

Minoxidil stays in the dermis tissues of the scalp for approx 8 hours and is most effective when continually present. Hence, the instruction to apply it both AM & PM.

However, approx 80% of Minoxidil is absorbed within the 1st hour. So, one option is to apply the stuff 1st thing in the AM and then wash your hair about 1 hour after the application.

Another option is to use 5% Minoxidil with 0.025% Retin-A. [Dr. Klein's non-DMI ReMox]. I posted a study a while back showing that 5% Minoxidil with Retin-A used once per day is as effective as regular 5% used twice per day. Also, ReMox is super clean and you may just find that your hair looks just fine after an AM application.
 02/20/2012 04:21 PM

Author Icon
DrewNYC
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: sandman

Minoxidil stays in the dermis tissues of the scalp for approx 8 hours and is most effective when continually present. Hence, the instruction to apply it both AM & PM.

However, approx 80% of Minoxidil is absorbed within the 1st hour. So, one option is to apply the stuff 1st thing in the AM and then wash your hair about 1 hour after the application.

Another option is to use 5% Minoxidil with 0.025% Retin-A. [Dr. Klein's non-DMI ReMox]. I posted a study a while back showing that 5% Minoxidil with Retin-A used once per day is as effective as regular 5% used twice per day. Also, ReMox is super clean and you may just find that your hair looks just fine after an AM application.

Pretty sure the drug itself is semi-active for around 24 hours and it stays in the skin longer then that.

Any proof to the contrary?

Also washing your hair 1 hour after application is very stupid and will cause a large amount of Minoxidil to be absorbed into the blood stream leading to bad side effects and may cause some of the drug to leak down onto your face and back where it will be absorbed and cause side effects and hair growth in unwanted areas.

I'd wait at a minimum 4 hours before washing your hair after application and to be honest I'd recommend 6+ hours.

Its funny though because personally I find that Foam Minox makes my hair look thicker and it drys quickly so I never had any issues going out with it on.

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 04:30 PM by DrewNYC
 02/20/2012 07:37 PM

Author Icon
sgtgork
Prolific Poster

I've been using minox once a day for many years and have maintained quite well. 2% minox should be used twice a day for best results, but 5% minox can be used once a day for maintenance or twice a day for regrowth. Just my opinion..
 02/21/2012 11:10 AM

Author Icon
Mopless
Prolific Poster

It's been a minute since I read the studies, but off the top of my head. Minox's half-life in the blood is just a few hours, if that. But it is still in the skin and active roughly 22 hours. So in short. Yes, once a day minox is "rear" as affective as twice a day. Twice a day is just faster results. However, with once a day I imagine you would shed more slowly too. Just depends on how fast you want results and how much shed your will to put up with. lol

As I side note. I believe foam takes longer to absorb into the scalp than liquid. Which is both good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Regime - Fin 0.25mg eod or whenever I remember - Miconozole cream daily - Keto Shampoo daily - 1.5mm Needling when I feel like it.
 02/21/2012 01:46 PM

Author Icon
sandman
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DrewNYC

Originally posted by: sandman

Pretty sure the drug itself is semi-active for around 24 hours and it stays in the skin longer then that.

Any proof to the contrary?

Also washing your hair 1 hour after application is very stupid and will cause a large amount of Minoxidil to be absorbed into the blood stream leading to bad side effects and may cause some of the drug to leak down onto your face and back where it will be absorbed and cause side effects and hair growth in unwanted areas.

I'd wait at a minimum 4 hours before washing your hair after application and to be honest I'd recommend 6+ hours.

Its funny though because personally I find that Foam Minox makes my hair look thicker and it drys quickly so I never had any issues going out with it on.
 02/22/2012 10:45 AM

Author Icon
Mopless
Prolific Poster

I've heard this alot. Its a foam thing I'm sure. But you feel it really makes an improvement? Can you use styling products afterward?

Regime - Fin 0.25mg eod or whenever I remember - Miconozole cream daily - Keto Shampoo daily - 1.5mm Needling when I feel like it.
Statistics
31496 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 503 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 510 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc