hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Turmeric / Curcumin
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/20/2011 11:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/20/2011 11:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

What is the latest concensus on this suppliment?

I've heard that it causes hairloss. And that it helps prevent

hairloss. I'm not sure which side of the fence to jump.

Immortal Hair seems to think it helps.

What's the opinion here?

07/21/2011 12:04 AM

Author Icon
rhotic
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: Side Show Bob

What is the latest concensus on this suppliment?

I've heard that it causes hairloss. And that it helps prevent

hairloss. I'm not sure which side of the fence to jump.

Immortal Hair seems to think it helps.

What's the opinion here?

The only thing related to curcumin and hair loss I'm aware of is the experimental, ASC-J9. But I wouldn't equate the supplement, curcumin, with ASC-J9. Even if you could ingest enough curcumin to degrade androgen receptors, I can't imagine we'd ever want to do that systemically. We'd want to do that locally (topically).

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/...0009/00000008/art00009

Abstract:

The androgen receptor (AR) plays a crucial role in the physiological and pathological functions of androgen. As a transcription factor, the AR modulates androgen activity by regulating the transcription of target genes that are involved in numerous physiological functions and pathological disorders, such as acne vulgaris, androgenetic alopecia, benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), and prostate cancers. Although many natural and synthetic curcumin analogues have been reported to possess anticancer activity through a common cytotoxic property against proliferating tumor cells, none has been reported to inhibit cancer cell growth through a more specific mechanism or target in the cancer cells. Recently, new curcumin analogues were studied extensively regarding their synthesis, structure-activity (i.e., anticancer activity) relationships, and mechanism of action. These compounds, such as ASC-J9 and its analogues (3 and 4), have now been shown to inhibit prostate cancer proliferation through a novel mechanism of enhancing AR degradation.

-------------------------
There is a forum as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. It is an area which we call HLH.
 07/21/2011 01:42 AM

Author Icon
Aless
Occasional Poster

I've been taking some curcumin phytosome for a little time now for other conditions than mpb after reading about it's anti inflammatory effects.
I've got tendinitis that just won't go away , what I can tell you is that it made quite a difference ; I think I have a good chance to heal them now .
I think I noticed reduced shedding because of it but I can't be sure .
Anyway I saw a documentary that denounces the chemical and food industry and they went to a certain region in india there they consume curcumin daily for a lot of things , added the fact that they produce their own food without pesticide , they have practicaly 0 cancers .
So I will be taking curcumin for a long long time I think .... And will recommend anyone to do the same .
 07/21/2011 01:55 AM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

I used the version recommended on IH's site, and after about 3 months I had some globalized thinning. I didn't do anything different in that time frame. I recovered after dropping the high potency curcumin supplement. I can't be sure if that was the cause, but I have enough evidence for myself to not use it again. RC

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician and my posts and opinions are not medical advice, and you are reading my opinions at your own risk. You should consult a physician before seeking treatment for any condition.

Regimen - http://tinyurl.com/3b5nqxh
 07/21/2011 02:38 AM

Author Icon
Nicholas
Accomplished Poster

There is an italian patent floating around the web where they claim that a resveratrol / curcumin / vitamin E- combination (latter could probably be a bit optional) regrows hair.
I think it was used three times daily and the amounts were pretty small too.
The absorbtion of turmeric can be greatly enhanced if you mix it with black pepper, but there are also special extracts you can by on iherb. They sell high quality resveratrol as well (I go with the good ol NOW-brand. Love it!).
I´m going to try Res / curcumin again. Will be buzzing my hair short for the next 6 months or so. Maybe even try taking some before and after pics.
 07/21/2011 07:41 AM

Author Icon
getsome
Prolific Poster

supposedly it kills libido... which is why I was inquiring about resveratrol without cu
 07/21/2011 11:19 AM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

I like the anti inflammatory properties of curcumin and all the other positive

aspects of it. But I deal with a lot of men from India at work and frankly,

I haven't seen any, over the age of 30, without signifigant hair loss.

And I'm assuming most still use this herb on a regular basis.

So I hesitate to try it.
 07/24/2011 08:54 AM

Author Icon
Beach Man
Regular Poster

Nicholas is right about the patent. For some detailed information about the clinical study with active Links, including one to the Patent Application as well as to useful products, click on my "View Users Profile" icon (next to the light bulb) in the upper right corner of this Post. Then in the window that pops up go to the blue tool bar at the top and click on the (View Posts) Link. and then click on Page 2. Scroll down to the thread posted by Maxter entitled, "Another possible accidental discovery in regards to MPB", or to save some time just click on:

Text

Then scroll down to my Post and note in particular the first sentence, where I state that curcumin reportedly and SURPRISINGLY HAS REGROWN HAIR ON BALD AREAS of the scalp in clinical studies, BUT ONLY WHEN TAKEN BEFORE MEALS WITH RESVERATROL.

The first Link I provide in my reply to Maxter takes you to the MPB website and gives an excellent easy to read explanation of the clinical studies. I suggest that you explore their website and among other things note their suggested protocol. They suggest a separate curcumin supplement and a separate resveratrol supplement, both of which are Life Extension Foundation products, which have an excellent reputation.

If you are not a LEF member qualifying for their discount, you can probably get the same products at either the same discounted price, or close to it, at iherb.com. If not, other brands at substantial discounts are available at swansonvitamins.com, vitacost.com, vitaminshoppecom, etc., as well as iherb.com which has already been mentioned by another poster. However, quality and absorption or the absorbability of the nutritional products are key, so staying with one or more of the better known brands, even if a little more expensive, would be best for optimum results.

As I stated in my Post, what's impressive in relation to the regrowth of hair about the clinical studies which are the basis of the patent application (to which Nicholas is referring in his reply to your Post), is that THE STUDIES WERE DESIGNED TO TEST FOR ANTI-CANCER AND ANTI-AGING EFFECTS, and the resulting hair growth in bald areas of the scalp as well as the restoration of original hair color in some cases initially were unexpected side effects. That fact tends to give credibility to such claims of hair regrowth and possible restoration of hair color.

The second Link I provide in my reply to Maxter takes you to the Abstract of the Patent Application, and the third Link takes you to an interesting discussion/thread about the use of curcumin and resveratrol for hair regrowth as well as the use of other supplements for that purpose.

07/24/2011 09:27 AM

Author Icon
Nicholas
Accomplished Poster

Def. going to try this again. I´m on the regimen now (res and cur)

Amounts were pretty small in the studies so I guess the most important thing is how often to take it.
I cant find how many times the took it during the day. Just one?
Also, was it to be taken apart from meals?
Statistics
31936 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 551 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 558 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc