hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Red bumps on scalp - Pictures now
Topic Summary: Any Ideas?
Created On: 04/05/2011 12:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2011 12:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joebitterman
Regular Poster

I asked about this before, but I didn't have access to a camera and I just shaved my head (hate shaving my head, but I look like @#$# either way). I took a few shots, and you can sorta see what I'm talking about --- red bumps here and there on my scalp. Curious if anyone knows what I can do about them ... my scalp has been a problem since I was in middle school ... first with scaling and now with dandruff, itching, and oily scalp. Basically, my scalp is an as@#$@#.

It's hard to get them to show up on the shots ...

Photo_00002.jpg
Photo_00002.jpg  (34 KB)
Photo_00004.jpg
Photo_00004.jpg  (39 KB)
Photo_00008.jpg
Photo_00008.jpg  (45 KB)
Photo_00010.jpg
Photo_00010.jpg  (42 KB)

Edited: 04/06/2011 at 05:02 AM by joebitterman
 04/05/2011 12:43 PM

Author Icon
NegativeNorwood
Accomplished Poster

What topicals do you use?
 04/06/2011 05:00 AM

Author Icon
joebitterman
Regular Poster

I was using nothing for a long time and they were still there, so I dont think its an irritant in what I use now that's causing whatever this is. I was also using an organic shampoo for a long time and still had these things. Anyway, currently I'm using Prox-N and S5 cream.
 04/06/2011 06:51 PM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

You likely have an eczema-type irritation inflammation - see my post here -http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...id=10&threadid=83942.

You should also probably scale back shampooing frequency (and maybe even change shampoos) until irritation subsides. RC

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician and my posts and opinions are not medical advice, and you are reading my opinions at your own risk. You should consult a physician before seeking treatment for any condition.

Regimen - http://tinyurl.com/3b5nqxh
 04/07/2011 02:12 PM

Author Icon
joebitterman
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: RC

You likely have an eczema-type irritation inflammation - see my post here -http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...threadid=83942.

You should also probably scale back shampooing frequency (and maybe even change shampoos) until irritation subsides. RC

I shampoo once a day ... if I don't, my hair (when not buzzed) will be too thin and greasy. I also have to change shampoos a lot b/c otherwise my scalp gets irritated. Right now, I use Regenepure and an Aubrey organic shampoo, but I've had this problem for, at least, 6 years with 20 or so different shampoos.

So .. what am I suppose to do about that? When my hair is buzzed, I guess I can shampoo every other day, though my scalp will feel horrible.
 04/07/2011 02:24 PM

Author Icon
chonger
Accomplished Poster

i used to get something similar when I used 15% minox w/ Azaelic Acid (sp?). I would have a red bump and would get chunks of white skin when I would rub those bumps. The problem went away when I used plain 15% minox.

chonger
 04/08/2011 10:15 AM

Author Icon
Patrick_Bateman
Prolific Poster

Pretty confident it's folliculitis, looks just like mine did. Go to a doctor and they'll be able to tell you for sure and put you on a course of antibiotics that will clear it up in a week or two.

Don't ***** around trying to find solutions on the internet or trying crappy home remedies, just goto a Doc and let them do their work.

Also Nizoral is helpful if the infection if fungal, so using that in the meantime might help (if you aren't already)
 04/08/2011 12:47 PM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

As another poster said, see a derm for diagnosis. In the meantime, I would probably reduce shampoo frequency until scalp stabilizes, after which you can grow out your hair again and pick up shampoo frequency to ED. RC

Disclaimer - I am not a physician and my posts and opinions are not medical advice, and you are reading my opinions at your own risk. You should consult a physician before seeking treatment for any condition.

Regimen - http://tinyurl.com/3b5nqxh
 04/12/2011 10:22 AM

Author Icon
joebitterman
Regular Poster

Thanks for the replies. Can I go to a General Practitioner (regular family doc), or do I need to see a dermatologist?

I will add that I had to take cipro for 2 weeks last year and I dont recall that doing anything to knock out these dots.

I've had this for a long time, too, bytheway.
 04/12/2011 10:56 AM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

Some bacteria are resistant, folliculitis isn't always bacterial, and it's not automatically folliculitis. Go to a dermatologist.

"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
 04/13/2011 03:47 AM

Author Icon
Beach Man
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: joebitterman

I'm talking about --- red bumps here and there on my scalp. Curious if anyone knows what I can do about them ... my scalp has been a problem since I was in middle school ... first with scaling and now with dandruff, itching, and oily scalp.

The timing (your middle school years) of its appearance and the symptoms indicate typical teenage acne which can appear virtually anywhere on the body and in varying intensity, from an occasional pimple or two here and there to severe facial acne with involvement typically also on the chest and sometimes shoulders and back.

Somethng that I have found to work very well in clearing it up, including those occasional lesions on the scalp, is the over the counter acne medication called Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream which comes in a tube and is available at any pharmaceutical such as Rite Aide, CVS, and also at some discount stores such as Walmart, Target, etc. You want the version which contains 10% Benzoyl Peroxide as its active ingredient. When rubbed in, it delivers the germ/bacteria killer, peroxide , beneath the surface of the skin and scalp where the acne producing bacterium has taken up residence, and is very effective at killing and eliminating it when used twice a day on clean skin.

Also pick up a bottle of rubbing alcohol (70% or 91% - both will do the job) and put some on a paper towel to rub the affected area of the scalp clean before applying the Clearasil each time; that won't be necessary if you have just shampooed your hair. The alcohol has a disinfectant action of its own on the surface of the skin, and will effectively clean off the oil to allow the Clearasil to more easily and effectively penetrate the skin to deliver its active ingredient. After cleaning with the alcohol (or after shampooing) allow the scalp to dry and then rub in the Clearasil.

04/13/2011 11:50 AM

Author Icon
titdoctor
Prolific Poster

10% benzoyl is some good sht! Wish we had it when I was in high school! I was wondering how it might help the scalp. Dye your hair maybe? haha
 04/13/2011 10:00 PM

Author Icon
gbsd33
Occasional Poster

i got the same thing dude do the bumps have that pimple like look with the white head and do they make your scalp itch like crazy. look up inflammatory ring worm its not a worm its a fungus and if you have athletes foot or jock itch ring worm could probably be your problem. if not it could be dermatitis or some sort of psoriasis of the skin but those are just some suggestions look them up and see if it could be what you have
 04/14/2011 12:02 AM

Author Icon
gbsd33
Occasional Poster

just found something else on an old post called demodex research it im beginning to think its what i have, been looking it up for a couple hours now lol check it out
 04/14/2011 05:00 AM

Author Icon
Patrick_Bateman
Prolific Poster

Don't use Benzoyl Peroxide on your scalp
 04/14/2011 07:22 PM

Author Icon
Beach Man
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Patrick_Bateman

Don't use Benzoyl Peroxide on your scalp

Why not? It's perfectly safe in the Clearasil formulation, which again is only 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. I have used it for that exact same problem over the last 20 plus years for those occasional zits on the scalp under the hair and it has been very effective at eliminating the immediate problem with no side effects whatsoever.

If you have some clinical evidence that it is harmful in any way when used in the Clearasil formulation on the scalp, present it here with a Link so that the rest of us may read the study and examine the clinical evidence. Again, I have used it over the years with no problem whatsoever, and it clears up the immediate problem or lesion within three to four days. It's one of the safest and most useful and effective over the counter remedies for acne/pimples on the market, which is why it has been around for so many years without complaint or criticism by the FDA and without any required or even voluntary recall of the product by the manufacturer.

To the other Poster who questioned its effect on the color of the hair, it has been my experience that when rubbed into the scalp at the roots of the hair, it does not result in any noticeable change in hair color. Again, that is the Clearasil product (Clearasil Daily Clear Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream which is in a tube rather than a jar) with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide.

04/17/2011 04:44 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I had similar issues all through high school and the solution ended up being pretty simple. I have sensitive skin, and my scalp didn't like all the sulphates in shampoos. I started using shampoos with all natural ingredients, and the problem went away and never came back. This was after Dr and dermatologists gave me creams and solutions for years. The itch was unbearable at times.

Nizoral is the only shampoo with sulphates I use, and I only use it a couple of times a week for it's supposed hairloss benefits. I think it actually might help with the problem though. in my case. My scalp always feels great after using it.
 08/13/2012 12:18 AM

Author Icon
ryderr
Occasional Poster

Any update, what did the derm say?
Statistics
31489 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 568 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 571 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc