hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: broccoli sprouts inhibit DHT?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/04/2011 10:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/04/2011 10:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thisreallysux
Accomplished Poster

"Vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, and cauliflower produce a chemical when being digested that inhibits the action of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Leonard Bjeldanes, professor of nutritional science at UC Berkeley, and Gary Firestone, professor of molecular biology at the same institution, have been researching the anti-cancer properties of plant chemicals (phytochemicals). They found that vegetables such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts are rich in an indole called I3C. An indole is a decomposition product of proteins. The body converts this indole into diindolylmethane or simply DIM during digestion.

Further research confirmed that this DIM inhibits the action of DHT. It does this by binding to the same receptors within the cell that DHT uses. DHT, as I'm sure most visitors to this site are aware of, is involved in male pattern baldness. The research that Bjeldanes and Firestone are doing is mostly centered on prostate cancer and the proliferation of cancer cells, but Dr. Bjeldanes in an email to me wrote that he is now requesting funding to do research on male pattern baldness."

Hi all havent been on here for a while but I feel like ive got some good news that may contribute to our battle. Ive been doing lots of reading on nutrition in the las year and its inspired me to to try and adress the MPB problem from a different approach. From what I understand the are multiple problems that can lead to MPB not just DHT. Inflammation, stress, damaged scapl/follicles, scalp sebum, bacteria/microbes ect. Most treatments only deal with DHT and can cause a hormonal imbalance and loose there effectiveness over time. I have been looking for a more multi lateral approach that can adress all these things and can be sustained life long. Nutrition seems to fit as a solution in theory but not many MPB sufferers practice this so I have no Idea how effective it might be. There are a few key foods that have got my attention, the main one being broccoli sprouts. Broccoli sprouts could adress all of these problems and most importantly they are a good source of "indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells". The reason why sprouts are more efffective that full grown brocccoli is they are a concentrated form of those nutrients. One cup of sprouts is like eating 3lbs or more of broccoli and its much easier because they go well with many things and take little time to prepare, and there cheap.

There is a ton of positive feedback on acne boards from people taking brocollin pills, but I think that raw sprouts would be even more effective. It seems like it reduces sebum/androgens increases IGF and SBHG and it contains a long list of nutrients that are beneficial

I would like some people to try this out with me for at least 6 months and post there results every month

The meal that ive come up with is and sandwich made with avacodo tomato chesse mayo and 40g of broccoli sprouts. Ive been eating these for 3 days so far and I have allready seen a reduction of sebum in my face and scalp. Less scalp itch and more energy

If anyone has anything to add please do

Edited: 04/04/2011 at 03:15 PM by thisreallysux
 04/04/2011 11:09 AM

Author Icon
titdoctor
Prolific Poster

hell yea. Im eating crucifers with every meal now. Only thing is a sandwich contains bread aka wheat/gluten. I found even 1 piece of wheat bread a day can start attacking my scalp. Almost instantly and for about another 4-5 hours.

Wheat/dairy lowers sbhg so I would watch my intake of that. But hey some people can digest wheat/dairy just fine! So if it works keep doing it.
 04/04/2011 11:16 AM

Author Icon
db12345
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: thisreallysux

Further research confirmed that this DIM inhibits the action of DHT. It does this by binding to the same receptors within the cell that DHT uses.

This means that its supposed to be somewhat different to 5ar inhibitors then.

Rather than this DIM stopping the conversion of Testosterone into DHT, it is stopping the DHT doing the damage to the follicles through "binding to the same receptors" and stopping DHT from causing damage to sensitive AR's.

Am I right???

If so this is a food/oral Anti-Androgen!!

-------------------------
Regimen

1mg Propecia (on) since Sept 09 (Dut 0.5mg EOD April 11).

Kirkland minox since October 2011 (bd).

RU 100mg (eth/pg, 70:30) since June 11 (Kane).

Tried: Niz shampoo & cream, top Spiro, Ell-Cranell Alpha, top Flutamide.
 04/04/2011 12:41 PM

Author Icon
mintyfresh
Accomplished Poster

unless you eat some way out wacky diet, none of this stuff will make any difference at all to your hair loss,

we don't go bald from a lack of broccoli
 04/04/2011 12:52 PM

Author Icon
thisreallysux
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: mintyfresh

unless you eat some way out wacky diet, none of this stuff will make any difference at all to your hair loss,

we don't go bald from a lack of broccoli

lol please explain how reducing scalp DHT, inflammation, sebum, fungus, and repairing damaged cells will have no effect. Diet has a big chain reaction like impact on our bodies, everything you eat has some effect good or bad.

The fact that DIM binds to DHT receptors should make it more effective than just reducing DHT and with fewer sides

04/04/2011 05:34 PM

Author Icon
NA58167
Regular Poster

The I3C in broccoli also inhibits the herpes simplex virus.

http://www.webmd.com/genital-h...ay-thwart-herpes-virus

1.25mg Finasteride per day
1% Nizoral 3x per week
 04/04/2011 05:56 PM

Author Icon
Mopless
Prolific Poster

Oh, were back to DIM again? I remember this. Whole bunch of people got on DIM and I3C for awhile, myself included. Nothing ever came of it.

Note: I took DIM for about 8 months.

Regime - Fin 0.25mg eod or whenever I remember - Miconozole cream daily - Keto Shampoo daily - 1.5mm Needling when I feel like it.
 06/21/2012 07:33 PM

Author Icon
2020_2
Accomplished Poster

bump! We need something like this!! you don't need to block that much DHT with fin, 40% would be fine AS LONG AS IN INHIBITS IT DIRECTLY RATHER THAN JUST BY KNOCKING OUT 5AR
 06/21/2012 07:46 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

I have been growing and eating broccoli sprouts for somewhere close to 10 years now. In my opinion it doesn't have much effect on hair and that is not why I eat them. More for removing xenoestrogens from the system. If I had to pick one food that was beneficial for hair I would go with raw eggs a dozen or so a day. Very high in sulfur and cysteine eliminating any need for MSM.

Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.
 06/21/2012 07:56 PM

Author Icon
2020_2
Accomplished Poster

holy shit how many transplants did you get? You should have just shaved your head...
 06/21/2012 08:11 PM

Author Icon
jimbo69
Accomplished Poster

broccoli sprouts??? why does it always have to be something like that, why cant it be something good for once like..."scientists just discovered that smoking weed, drinking beer and snorting lines of coke of a prostitutes ass, lower dht"
 06/21/2012 08:14 PM

Author Icon
Phalacrophobic
Accomplished Poster

I made a thread about this a while ago, people turned it into a pgd2 thread though

I WILL STAY A NORWOOD 1!!!!!!!!!
 06/21/2012 11:20 PM

Author Icon
Calvin 3.0
Accomplished Poster

Blocking the action of DHT is just another way of doing what Fin & Durt already do. And Fin/Dut target the most harmful variation of the stuff a whole lot more effectively.

I have no medical training but sometimes I
pretend to know what I'm talking about.
 06/21/2012 11:41 PM

Author Icon
Mysterious
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: titdoctor

Wheat/dairy lowers sbhg so I would watch my intake of that. But hey some people can digest wheat/dairy just fine! So if it works keep doing it.

Wheat is not good for hair in general? How about white bread? Is that good? Then what should we eat for sandwich?
 06/21/2012 11:45 PM

Author Icon
howcanthisbe
Prolific Poster

so eating brocolli sprouts can help you at least maintain your hair?
 06/22/2012 12:23 AM

Author Icon
Josejames123
Occasional Poster

Oh yeah, I am willing to give it a try even if it reduces DHT by 5%, we need all the help that we can get to fight MPB

Current treatments

Fin-(Started Sep 2009- Stopped May 2012)
Dutas-0.5mg
Min-10% at night
Nizoral 2% * 3 per week
Himalaya AntiHairloss shampoo

06/22/2012 01:57 AM

Author Icon
el_duterino
Accomplished Poster

I used USP grade pure DIM topically, dissolved in little amounts of DMSO, Using a ethanol and pg vehicle
I am quite sure to be the only man on earth having done that experiment for several weeks

Yes. DIM is an androgen antagonist like RU etc. BUT it is also a powerful aromatse inhibitor
As a result I started to shed very heavily even healthy thick hair and had to stop

Don't use this for mpb - it won't help and can make thing worse

FIN (1998 to 2004)
DUT (2004-2008)
DUT + Flutamide & Fluridil (2008)
DUT + RU (end 2008)
RU only (20mg to 400mg/day 2009-2011)
RU+Minox (2011- 2013)

At present:
-RU 20 mg/day (mixed to Neogenic)
-Neogenic (3ml)
-Minox foam
 06/22/2012 09:11 AM

Author Icon
2020_2
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Calvin 3.0

Blocking the action of DHT is just another way of doing what Fin & Durt already do. And Fin/Dut target the most harmful variation of the stuff a whole lot more effectively.

no... fin and dut work by inhibiting the enzyme that's responsible for converting T to DHT thus less DHT but this way of blocking DHT sucks we need something that inhibits DHT DIRECTLY!
 06/22/2012 09:29 AM

Author Icon
Wuffer
Accomplished Poster

Isn't DIM supposed to significantly reduce estrogen levels? If you do this, then won't the impact be that your overall DHT levels actually raise?

I see these new 'natural' treatments for hair loss posted here almost every day. I'm fairly certain every single substance known to man has been tried to see if it has any impact, and they never do. If treating hair loss was a simple as eating vegetables, there would be a lot of people out there that didn't have this problem and the connection would already have been made.
 06/22/2012 10:35 AM

Author Icon
howcanthisbe
Prolific Poster

can eating brocolli sprouts make things worse or just rubbing it on your head?
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » broccoli sprouts inhibit DHT?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
32249 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1076 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1086 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc