hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Scalp massage does it help hair loss?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/30/2011 03:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/30/2011 03:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that massages their scalp daily, whether by hand or some sort of device designed for the purpose.

Have you experienced any positive benefits if yes what?
 03/30/2011 04:35 PM

Author Icon
PigFaceBoy
Prolific Poster

Edited: 03/31/2011 at 10:56 AM by PigFaceBoy
 03/30/2011 06:52 PM

Author Icon
cliquesh
Prolific Poster

When I started to do barbell squats I quickly grew a thick tough of hair on my back where I placed the barbell. I always wondered if you applied pressure like that to the scalp if the same thing would happen, lol.
 03/30/2011 07:53 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember a study that suggested scalp massage is growth stimulating.

-------------------------
NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 03/30/2011 09:04 PM

Author Icon
NA58167
Regular Poster

Well there was the study in the galea thread that said a scalp tension relaxer helped with hairloss. Assuming the improvement seen in that study was due to increased blood flow, it would make sense that massage would help as well.

1.25mg Finasteride per day
1% Nizoral 3x per week
 03/30/2011 09:15 PM

Author Icon
crowningglory
Occasional Poster

I'm not really sure but every time I wash my hair I massage the shampoo/conditioner, all I know is that it feels good and relaxing.
But like what DecadeTwo mentioned, I believe I also read a study how scalp massage helps with stimulating hair growth or at least contribute to slowing hair loss. Note, not really as a treatment though.
 04/07/2011 03:32 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Up date....

This may be just my imagination but i have being trying this massaging scalp for a couple of weeks now.. Hence this post. I think it is making my hair on top grow faster...

Looking back at old posts it seems that the opinions are pretty negative as to whether it can help and that goes for my own opinions at the time.

Farrel, in one of those old posts i noticed that you too think it pointless?

I'm intrigued by the sudden change in the growth rate of my hair on top , and masage costs nothing to try so i think further practice and investigation is worth while.

04/07/2011 04:40 AM

Author Icon
G37guy
Regular Poster

Cant hurt and It feels good. I might try massaging my scalp for a month or so,again, cant hurt.
 04/16/2011 04:27 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Up date.

Yes i know i keep bringing this massage approach back. But since i last posted i thought i was imagining that this was making my hair growth faster on top . Well after another week I don't need to imagine it any more because i can see the hair growth on the top is almost now as fast as the back and sides and that hasn't happened in years...In fact i ussally end up cutting the back and sides twice to the top once in order to keep it in proportion.

If this can help like this maybe it might also help thicken the hair on top too. Time will tell, and if it should be the case i will be posting again .
 04/16/2011 06:13 AM

Author Icon
harrp151
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: majorsixth

Up date.

Yes i know i keep bringing this massage approach back. But since i last posted i thought i was imagining that this was making my hair growth faster on top . Well after another week I don't need to imagine it any more because i can see the hair growth on the top is almost now as fast as the back and sides and that hasn't happened in years...In fact i ussally end up cutting the back and sides twice to the top once in order to keep it in proportion.

If this can help like this maybe it might also help thicken the hair on top too. Time will tell, and if it should be the case i will be posting again .

Just wondering, how do you massage your scalp because I if was to try it, I'm pretty sure I would end up pulling out a lot of my hairs...?

04/16/2011 06:23 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: harrp151

Up date.

Just wondering, how do you massage your scalp because I if was to try it, I'm pretty sure I would end up pulling out a lot of my hairs...?

This is a good question.

Because the massage i do is not a soft action...It's quite rough and actually causes some internal injury as it hurts after... I think this could be why it is working?
 04/17/2011 03:46 AM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

YES !!!
 04/17/2011 05:23 AM

Author Icon
woodly
Occasional Poster

i've been doing this recently. although i shed a fair few hairs every time. would this be partly due to the massage or would they be likely to come off anyway?
 04/20/2011 02:48 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: woodly

i've been doing this recently. although i shed a fair few hairs every time. would this be partly due to the massage or would they be likely to come off anyway?

I've been doing this for some weeks now and i'm not seeing any falling hair.. So i would say hair fall that you are experiencing is most likely hair that was due to fall regardless of the massage.

I Keep looking for results daily.. What I'm looking for is Interimmediate hair turning terminal at the scalp. I've noticed I now have lots of hairs begining to stand to attention.... When they are pushed down just spring back . To me this shows they are getting stronger and have more life and their growth rate is much faster.

I have no doubts that this is really helping...But i don't think it's down to a general massage, because I'm really doing it to the point that it causing internal injury and i think that's what's helping... I believe it's a similar principle to the derma roller, that too cause minor injury.

Anyway I will definitely continue this .
 04/20/2011 03:13 AM

Author Icon
akuma
Accomplished Poster

is there any video or tutoral i can watch to do a scalp massage/excercise?
 04/20/2011 03:21 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: akuma

is there any video or tutoral i can watch to do a scalp massage/excercise?

Sorry i don't know of any dvd or tutoral..

I started off just gently massage my scalp normally, But that seemed pointless and got a bit boring so i rested both my palms on the top of my head in the Nw 7 position at the back of the head then started forcing the scalp together, then slowly moving the hands forward towards the front repeating the motion. I will tell you this the following day it hurts...so i have to start off gently slowly increasing the intensity.
 04/20/2011 03:43 AM

Author Icon
Boyfromoz
Prolific Poster

is there a particular path that blood follows in the scalp?

ie does it go up the left side and down the right? it might pay to massage in such a way that you aid this flow.
 04/20/2011 03:48 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Massaging your scalp is probably better than not massaging your scalp, but does anyone honestly think it'll make a cosmetic difference?

The Waseda regimen has more evidence for efficacy than scalp massage, though maybe if you scalp massage in some Grape Seed Extract you'll regrow a cosmetically significant amount of hair.

Forget the history of the forums, in the history of humanity I've yet to see one set of B&A pics that suggest scalp massage does squat.

Personally, I'm more curious about that messenger RNA that gets induced when a DHT-AR ligand matriculates to the nuclease, or whateverthe*****.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

04/20/2011 04:01 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

Massaging your scalp is probably better than not massaging your scalp, but does anyone honestly think it'll make a cosmetic difference?

The Waseda regimen has more evidence for efficacy than scalp massage, though maybe if you scalp massage in some Grape Seed Extract you'll regrow a cosmetically significant amount of hair.

Forget the history of the forums, in the history of humanity I've yet to see one set of B&A pics that suggest scalp massage does squat.

Personally, I'm more curious about that messenger RNA that gets induced when a DHT-AR ligand matriculates to the nuclease, or whateverthe*****.

You lot just don't appear to take any notice of what's written....I 've said although i started off gently massaging i felt it pointless so started forcing the scalp together to a point it really hurt thus causing injury.....Going beyond massage.

Now whether you believe what I'm telling you doesn't matter....

Edited: 04/20/2011 at 04:14 AM by majorsixth
 04/20/2011 05:06 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

You lot just don't appear to take any notice of what's written....I 've said although i started off gently massaging

Go on...

i felt it pointless so started forcing the scalp together to a point it really hurt thus causing injury.....

Maybe "the scalp" really means "harder" when she says "thus causing injury".

Going beyond massage.

Go on...

Now whether you believe what I'm telling you doesn't matter....

I really thought this story would have a happy ending

Seriously though, M6:
I'm sure scalp massage has improved your hair count to somewhere between "I can tell the difference" and "you can tell the difference."

To err on the side of caution, Ima gravitate toward the latter, K?

Prove me wrong with pics. I'm rooting for you on behalf of all men with AGA.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

Statistics
36337 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 161 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 161 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc