hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Losing arm and leg hair.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/24/2011 09:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/24/2011 09:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
feelsbadman
Regular Poster

So I'm sure I have mpb, but along with that, I've lost a lot of hair on my lower legs, some on my thighs, a little bit around my wrists, and possibly some on my back (not sad about that!). Could there be something else contributing to my diffuse thinning?
 02/24/2011 09:15 PM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: feelsbadman

So I'm sure I have mpb, but along with that, I've lost a lot of hair on my lower legs, some on my thighs, a little bit around my wrists, and possibly some on my back (not sad about that!). Could there be something else contributing to my diffuse thinning?

I think its very possible.

-------------------------
I'm a NW 2.5 with very little thinning. My regimen is as follows:

1.25 mg of finasteride every day since April 19, 2011

1ml of minoxidil twice a day on the hairline since April 29, 2010

Planning to go on Oral Spiro starting September 1, 2011
 02/24/2011 10:05 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

You should see a dermatologist. I believe Alopecia Areata (for instance) can only be diagnosed with a biopsy, but I could be wrong.

It's definitely not normal to lose arm hair with AGA, and combined with diffuse thinning (does it include the back and sides of the scalp?) I would be concerned about it.

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 02/24/2011 10:09 PM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

You should see a dermatologist. I believe Alopecia Areata (for instance) can only be diagnosed with a biopsy, but I could be wrong.

It's definitely not normal to lose arm hair with AGA, and combined with diffuse thinning (does it include the back and sides of the scalp?) I would be concerned about it.

The side and back of the scalp is actually supposed to have less hairs pr sq. inch than the hair up top and in the crown. I read that somewhere after I realized my sides and back were less dense than the top and crown! I was scouting out my potential donor hair when I realized this.

02/24/2011 10:15 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

That may be, but it still isn't normal to see loss of donor hair. It's a sign that something other than AGA is going on. Look at IrishPride. He has donor area shedding in addition to "regular shedding", and he can't seem to stop it.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

02/24/2011 10:19 PM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

That may be, but it still isn't normal to see loss of donor hair. It's a sign that something other than AGA is going on. Look at IrishPride. He has donor area shedding in addition to "regular shedding", and he can't seem to stop it.

Yeah I agree, excess shedding is a weird thing in the donor area. But I was very surprised to learn that the top is denser because in my mind the best hair is where the enemy (mpb) does not invade and destroy. So its the least dense sections that we get to keep. Thanks a lot mpb.

02/24/2011 10:29 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Ain't life a bitch sometimes? What can you do but keep livin' it?

I guess it could be worse. We could have AGA in 1991 instead of 2011. Then we'd really be screwed.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

02/24/2011 11:10 PM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

Ain't life a bitch sometimes? What can you do but keep livin' it?

I guess it could be worse. We could have AGA in 1991 instead of 2011. Then we'd really be screwed.

Yep I guess we should be thankful in some weird way. However, we are in a limbo generation. There is no cure or really effective, convenient treatment but there are 2 fda approved treatments unlike just over a decade ago when there was zip you could do about it. My children (if I have any lol) will probably have better treatments if not the cure available. It is unlikely that my son would get mpb though because I may only marry a girl whose father has no mpb, like my maternal grandfather. I am a fluke.

02/24/2011 11:29 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: highhairline
There is no cure or really effective, convenient treatment

A lot of guys who have been taking finasteride or similar since the 90's (or 2000, in my case) would disagree that there are no effective treatments.

That attitude made me lazy with my meds, 'cuz why bother?

Reading the forum can cut both ways. You can see what people post today, and determine that there is no hope, or you could search for multi-year updates. I've never seen a bad 5+ year result with a good regimen.

Maybe the people with bad results stop using treatments, but if so you'd surely expect to find a case of someone who has dropped 2+ NW levels, but stayed on the treatments just because they might at least slow it... it's been 14 years since the "Big 3", after all.

On the down side, you'll never get your juvenile hairline back with what we have today.

I know it seems really bad, but you'll be fine.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

Edited: 02/24/2011 at 11:41 PM by DecadeTwo
 02/24/2011 11:50 PM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

There is no cure or really effective, convenient treatment

A lot of guys who have been taking finasteride or similar since the 90's (or 2000, in my case) would disagree that there are no effective treatments.

That attitude made me lazy with my meds, 'cuz why bother?

Reading the forum can cut both ways. You can see what people post today, and determine that there is no hope, or you could search for multi-year updates. I've never seen a bad 5+ year result with a good regimen.

Maybe the people with bad results stop using treatments, but if so you'd surely expect to find a case of someone who has dropped 2+ NW levels, but stayed on the treatments just because they might at least slow it... it's been 14 years since the "Big 3", after all.

On the down side, you'll never get your juvenile hairline back with what we have today.

I know it seems really bad, but you'll be fine.

I guess I am being a bit too pessimistic about the treatments. I guess I just don't have faith that propecia will help my receding hairline but I know that if I get the onset of limited crown thinning from my dad's side when I'm in my late 30s (that's about when they all got it) I would start propecia and I would probably be able to maintain a crown as thick as the rest of my hair. I told my dad that if he had propecia and rogaine and he started treating it as soon as he noticed that he was losing a lot of hair in the shower then he would not have a nearly bald spot today. His case would have been perfect for propecia because the thinning just stopped by itself anyway and he's stayed the same for well over 10 years.

02/24/2011 11:58 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

The bad news is that you might lose some hair line over the next five years... but not probably not much. The good news is that by the time you lose your entire hair line you might find it's perfectly age appropriate.

It's all about what Hamilton coined the "androgenic stimulus" in "Male hormone stimulation is prerequisite and an incitant in common baldness".

He noted in the 40s that pre-pubertal castrates maintained a juvenile/female hairline throughout life.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

02/25/2011 12:08 AM

Author Icon
highhairline
Accomplished Poster

The bad news is that you might lose some hair line over the next five years... but not probably not much. The good news is that by the time you lose your entire hair line you might find it's perfectly age appropriate.

It's all about what Hamilton coined the "androgenic stimulus" in "Male hormone stimulation is prerequisite and an incitant in common baldness".

He noted in the 40s that pre-pubertal castrates maintained a juvenile/female hairline throughout life.

Even with fin and Nizoral? How much is not much? Because as of now if it was just 1/2" lower it would look like a normal mature hairline. That 1/2" makes a world of difference, I can tell by picturing where my hairline should be in the corners. I would really prefer not to lose another 1/2" if I take fin. It may not be worth it then because, to tell you the truth, my hairline seems to be receding slowly--over the past year it has moved maybe 1/8" or less but its really hard to tell any difference.

02/25/2011 12:12 AM

Author Icon
feelsbadman
Regular Poster

Seeing a dr. Monday, need a referral for a derm appointment.

I lose hair from the side and a little from the back, but I can't tell if that's just normal, every day hair loss. I noticed the leg and arm hair thing only a couple of months ago, and the hair on my head was fairly thick, so it may just not be noticeable yet. It's certainly noticeable on the crown though, but I noticed the temples going in a couple years ago, so that might just be the mpb catching up to me. Seems to be progressing faster now, though.
 02/25/2011 12:19 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Are you sure this isn't "in your head" (no offense intended)?

Are you obviously losing arm and leg hair?

I don't know anything about "non-androgenic" alopecias, but I ask because sometimes we tend to complicate our own lives.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

02/25/2011 01:04 AM

Author Icon
feelsbadman
Regular Poster

Are you sure this isn't "in your head" (no offense intended)?

Are you obviously losing arm and leg hair?

I don't know anything about "non-androgenic" alopecias, but I ask because sometimes we tend to complicate our own lives.

lol no offense taken, but I'm quite sure it isn't in my head. The leg hair loss is very obvious, the arms less so to anyone not me, but it's there. Much smaller area just around my wrists. That's actually what I noticed first.

It used to be the same thickness down to the sock line. You can see it's a little thin on the calf, too.

02/25/2011 02:21 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

I have no idea if that slight difference I notice between right or left means anything. I'm looking at my legs right now, and I think I notice a slight difference there too.

You should see a doctor to be safe.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

02/25/2011 08:20 AM

Author Icon
ohnolosingit
Regular Poster

I really think that proscar/avodart reduces body hair in some people. Also I know a lot of people who have lost leg hair like that as they age. Most doctors have said it is from wearing socks and from the pants rubbing on the shin and calf....esp jeans.

Please let us know what your doctor says.
 02/25/2011 02:34 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Even with fin and Nizoral? How much is not much? Because as of now if it was just 1/2" lower it would look like a normal mature hairline. That 1/2" makes a world of difference, I can tell by picturing where my hairline should be in the corners. I would really prefer not to lose another 1/2" if I take fin. It may not be worth it then because, to tell you the truth, my hairline seems to be receding slowly--over the past year it has moved maybe 1/8" or less but its really hard to tell any difference.

Let me put it this way: within fin and niz your hairline might still suffer. Without some antiandrogenic approach to AGA your hairline WILL suffer.

ahadabans has an elegant theory. He thinks the reason that people sometimes report continued hair loss within the first few months on fin is simply because they were gonna lose it anyway. As he points out, hair loss is a lot more than the receded hairline you see. The hair line is more prone to apoptosis caused by androgens, so even if you get on fin or RU yesterday, some hair is already doomed.

Like I said, look at it in the scale of years and decades, not weeks and months, because you'll still have AGA the day you die.

The bottom line is that the less androgen-molecules reach your hair follicles, the more hair you'll have tomorrow.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

03/02/2011 04:59 PM

Author Icon
ohnolosingit
Regular Poster

Did u go to the doctor yet?
Statistics
30765 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 778 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 786 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc