hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Miconazole and Ketoconazole cream update
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2011 08:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2011 08:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Maxster
Accomplished Poster

Well guys it has been one month on micon cream 2% twice a day, and Nizoral (ketoconazole) cream 2% every other day. I apply a fingernail size amount all over my head directly after showering.

No visible improvement yet, in fact I am suspect I am going through a slight shed (tough to tell because I buzz my hair to a number 2) as my right temple may have lost a tiny bit of ground.

My left temple however, looks as if it may be improving... but again, I could just be imagining this, as again, it has only been 1 month.

With that, any other guys trying out the micon cream and keto cream? More updates would certainly be appreciated.

P.S. I have been documenting my hair for the past month... I will really analyze the pics after month 2 or 3 to see what is going on if I cannot tell simply by looking in the mirror.

-------------------------
Maxster
 02/17/2011 10:21 AM

Author Icon
Mr. Harry
Regular Poster

Thanks for the update Maxster. I know many of
us appreciate it.
 02/17/2011 10:54 AM

Author Icon
grove
Accomplished Poster

after 6 weeks i noticed regrowth. Nothing major but if it regrows hair and possibly stops hairloss, AWESOME!

So my hair is looking better, and this is after dropping from 1mg fin to .5mg. So gots to be the creams
 02/17/2011 11:38 AM

Author Icon
willwork4hair
Regular Poster

i broke out in hives after 1 week of use. going to try a different brand, currently using generic kaiser pharmacy brand.

02/17/2011 11:55 AM

Author Icon
amsch
Accomplished Poster

wow, within the years the time a treatment takes to work has been reduced from 6 months to a few weeks.
 02/17/2011 04:57 PM

Author Icon
Mopless
Prolific Poster

Been on this for about.. 4-5 months now. Nothing changed, good or bad. Nice styling cream though. I'll buy another just for the cosmetics and it'll give me that "warm" feeling like I'm actually using something that will help with my hairloss.

Regime - Fin 0.25mg eod or whenever I remember - Miconozole cream daily - Keto Shampoo daily - 1.5mm Needling when I feel like it.
 02/18/2011 01:44 AM

Author Icon
Maxster
Accomplished Poster

Mopless, are you using micon and keto (nizoral) cream or just one of them

Maxster
 02/18/2011 02:25 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

How do you guys suspect that micon might work?

We know that keto will compete for the AR with DHT, but there's no evidence that micon does this.

It might inhibit the enzyme that metabolizes T slightingly better than keto, but what does that matter if you're using it topically?

T is produced in the testes and has effects all over the body. Reducing it locally with a topical CYP450 inhibitor will likely have no effect.

I just feel like I could find a better antiandrogen to add to my regimen, like spiro. Spiro will actually compete for the AR, and may also be a weak 5ar inhibitor.

You know why I suspect women, and only women, have historically used micon for hair growth? Because like many people do, they wrongly established causation from a correlation. They noticed their "bushes" got "bushier" when they started using miconozole cream for yeast infection, when in fact it was changing hormonal levels that caused both the hair growth, and the need to use miconazole.

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 02/18/2011 10:43 AM

Author Icon
Maxster
Accomplished Poster

Decade,

you are correct, there isn't really much hard data to support the use of miconazole for hair loss... however, I am trying it for the following reasons:

1. The anecdotal evidence is very strong, even from a few guys on this board... could it be a delusion of sorts? Absolutely, but...

2. Miconazole cream is also incredibly cheap and easy to obtain, so it certainly is worth a shot.

3. This is a shot in the dark, and I have no evidence to claim this, but miconazole cream is miconazole nitrate... the nitrate in the formula may have a minoxidil like effect, as minoxidal, if I remember right, uses nitrates in some degree.

If after several months I do not see any results... I am going to try a combination I have not heard of to a great deal, keto cream rotated with spiro cream, as you suggested.

Maxster
 02/18/2011 02:41 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Fair enough.

I guess if you were able to keep T levels suppressed locally for a good chunk of time (e.g. serum T doesn't just "wash over the area" after one hour) it could even be synergistic to an androgen antagonist, especially if you aren't also on fin.

I hope at least a few of you guys are documenting this with good pics (e.g. please keep the hair length and lighting the same). In know RSR is, but the fact that he was in month 9 (or so) of fin usage confuses matters for me.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

Edited: 02/19/2011 at 12:40 AM by DecadeTwo
 02/18/2011 08:31 PM

Author Icon
Mopless
Prolific Poster

Maxster - Micon cream 2% and Nizoral shampoo 2%

Regime - Fin 0.25mg eod or whenever I remember - Miconozole cream daily - Keto Shampoo daily - 1.5mm Needling when I feel like it.
 02/19/2011 04:53 AM

Author Icon
strataeast
Regular Poster

it seems that some of the people over at regrowth site are giving up on miconazole. saying thay can see no difference either way. interesting. i always thought it would turn out to be bollocks
 02/19/2011 08:20 AM

Author Icon
ThickofIT
Prolific Poster

That rogazzle guy is getting impressive results (see his photos on the big regrowth thread). I don't think some guys are giving it enough time.
 02/19/2011 09:23 AM

Author Icon
strataeast
Regular Poster

to be honest in those pictures i don't see it. i think even he is doubting it now. just goes to show that none of us can rely on our own observations. human judgement and perception is pretty hopeless
 02/19/2011 09:32 AM

Author Icon
damien53
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

Fair enough.

I guess if you were able to keep T levels suppressed locally for a good chunk of time (e.g. serum T doesn't just "wash over the area" after one hour) it could even be synergistic to an androgen antagonist, especially if you aren't also on fin.

I hope at least a few of you guys are documenting this with good pics (e.g. please keep the hair length and lighting the same). In know RSR is, but the fact that he was in month 9 (or so) of fin usage confuses matters for me.

Decade, can you explain this post a little bit? Does a combo of Fin and androgen antagonists not work?
 02/19/2011 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Fat-Elvis
Accomplished Poster

I've asked this elsewhere with no response, but can you buy micon anywhere in a cream form that isn't nearly as thick as the stuff you buy at the drugstore? Or in liquid form? And in a higher concentration?

Thinned out NW2.5-3

7/30/12 - Dropped rogaine after 16 months because still receding
Quit fin a while back after 5 months due to gyne sides
Currently deciding on new regimen, considering Super Zix with SP and beta sitosterol
 02/19/2011 03:27 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: strataeast

it seems that some of the people over at regrowth site are giving up on miconazole. saying thay can see no difference either way. interesting. i always thought it would turn out to be bollocks

Obviously, I'm not the biggest micon advocate but how long could they have possibly been on it? And what did they expect to see? Success with antiandrogens is measured in maintenance over years.

Originally posted by: damien53

Fair enough.

Decade, can you explain this post a little bit? Does a combo of Fin and androgen antagonists not work?

I think 5ar inhibitors (e.g. fin) and androgen antagonists (e.g. spiro) work synergistically. What I'm wondering is if CYP450 inhibitors (e.g. micon) work synergistically with either, or do anything at all for that matter.

This isn't my area of expertise, but here's what I was trying to say/ask:

As far as I can tell, the micon could be effective by inhibiting the enzyme (CYP450) that metabolizes T, much like Fin inhibits the enzyme (5ar) which metabolizes DHT. Even if you don't think that T has much of an effect on AGA, we can all agree that less T means less DHT.

But does that matter for a topical?

T is made in the testes and has effects all over the body.

DHT is made locally in tissue (such as hair follicles or the prostate), and really only has an effect locally.

So, if I apply micon to my scalp, will it lower T levels for an hour, only to be "washed out" by serum T; or, will it continue to effectively lower levels of T locally for hours? I don't know the answer to that.

If it's the former, then I have no idea how it could be theoretically useful for AGA.

If it's the latter, than someone who is not inhibiting 5ar with fin could theoretically at least lower the amount of DHT produced locally in the follicles by lowering overall T levels in the scalp area.

I'm just wondering aloud. Since most T is produced in the testes, not metabolized by CYP450, I have my doubts that inhibiting CYP450 in one area (the scalp) will have much of an effect. Maybe micon works through some other mechanism, but now we're flirting with wishful thinking.

In any case, we are just talking about yet another potentially effective antiandrogen. We have a ton of those (e.g. Azalaic Acid), and we even have several proven antiandrogenic treatments. We know these work well to maintain hair.

What we need are growth stims. All we have are minox and SODs (and maybe a few others) that grow hair for a short while and "the end".

If we could find a growth stim that works indefinitely, however slowly, that would make a huge difference.

I think it's too bad that people don't look at the "fads" that consume hair loss forums in this context.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

Edited: 02/19/2011 at 03:51 PM by DecadeTwo
 02/19/2011 09:14 PM

Author Icon
Dobo
Prolific Poster

Fair enough.

Eeeet will neeeever happen

02/20/2011 01:32 AM

Author Icon
Kontantinopoli
Regular Poster

This isn't my area of expertise, but here's what I was trying to say/ask:

As far as I can tell, the micon could be effective by inhibiting the enzyme (CYP450) that metabolizes T, much like Fin inhibits the enzyme (5ar) which metabolizes DHT. Even if you don't think that T has much of an effect on AGA, we can all agree that less T means less DHT.

But does that matter for a topical?

T is made in the testes and has effects all over the body.

DHT is made locally in tissue (such as hair follicles or the prostate), and really only has an effect locally.

So, if I apply micon to my scalp, will it lower T levels for an hour, only to be "washed out" by serum T; or, will it continue to effectively lower levels of T locally for hours? I don't know the answer to that.

If it's the former, then I have no idea how it could be theoretically useful for AGA.

If it's the latter, than someone who is not inhibiting 5ar with fin could theoretically at least lower the amount of DHT produced locally in the follicles by lowering overall T levels in the scalp area.

I'm just wondering aloud. Since most T is produced in the testes, not metabolized by CYP450, I have my doubts that inhibiting CYP450 in one area (the scalp) will have much of an effect. Maybe micon works through some other mechanism, but now we're flirting with wishful thinking.

In any case, we are just talking about yet another potentially effective antiandrogen. We have a ton of those (e.g. Azalaic Acid), and we even have several proven antiandrogenic treatments. We know these work well to maintain hair.

What we need are growth stims. All we have are minox and SODs (and maybe a few others) that grow hair for a short while and "the end".

If we could find a growth stim that works indefinitely, however slowly, that would make a huge difference.

I think it's too bad that people don't look at the "fads" that consume hair loss forums in this context.

Hi DecadeTwo,

I was just wondering what is the theory on how Keto might work?

Regards
K

02/20/2011 01:52 AM

Author Icon
StillHoping
Regular Poster

I'm looking for a growth stim alternative for Minox.

When I read the hype on miconazole I bought a 2% liquid version ( not cream ).
There are several liquids on the market here in Europe. I used 'Castellani' solution.

I used it several times but quite soon I found out that it gives me testes pain. So I had to stop. Seems that the absorption ratio of the liquid mico is quite high and there may be some build up in the body.
Statistics
31464 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 710 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 715 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc