hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rogaine before and after pictures: opinions, advice and suggestions are welcome.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2011 01:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2011 01:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
recedingrandy

Hey guys here are some shots of my hairline before and after Rogaine use. This Rogaine usage consists of 1 and a half years of application. The first year was done with the liquid, and the past 6 months with the foam.

I am 22 years old. The before pictures were taken when I was 21.

**The before pics are located on the left, and the after pics are on the right**

Do you guys see a noticeable difference? Honestly, I don't see much. Whether this is good or bad, I'm not sure. I suppose I can look at it as though Rogaine has prevented my hairline from receding further, but on the other hand it can also be said that Rogaine has done nothing to improve it either.

I really want to improve my hairline and wish there was an easier way. What do you guys think? Have any suggestions for me besides Rogaine? How bad would you consider this hairline, and what should I be doing to improve it/ prevent it from going back any further? Is surgery an option for someone with my type of hairloss? Do you foresee a continuing deterioration in my hairline?

Ahhhh so many questions! lol

Any attempt made to answer them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
 02/02/2011 03:09 AM

Author Icon
SilkySmooth
Accomplished Poster

Farrer can you ban this guy? this is seriously fking ridicoules

Edited: 02/02/2011 at 04:20 AM by SilkySmooth
 02/02/2011 05:49 AM

Author Icon
mintyfresh
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: SilkySmooth

erm, bit of an overreaction don't you think!

this guy definitely has some frontal recession,
so he still has a lot of hair, so did we all at one time didn't we?

surely this forum is open to anyone that's experiencing hair loss, even the early stages?, ripping the guy apart on his first post is not cool

recedingrandy, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here to cope with your future fight against this crappy disease
 02/02/2011 05:56 AM

Author Icon
jadc
Occasional Poster

Personally Would help if you took all the pictures with flash, not some with and some without as you cant really tell a difference.

Everyone's hair looks thick and fuller in darker places of picture being taken.

Regards, But you do notice a little difference, but my opinion it does not look bad at all, start worrying when it's at the crown area too!
 02/02/2011 07:55 AM

Author Icon
ADIDAH
Regular Poster

i see a definite improvement, and this actually motivates me to want to start on the foam. that being said, like the above poster mentioned, the lighting inconsistencies might be making the rogaine hairline photos appear thicker/darker than they are.

next time, you should try getting all the pictures in the same lighting (eg. all in natural light, or all in your washroom, etc).

but no i definiteily see your hairline noticably improved.

-------------------------
All Day I Dream About Hair

Propecia since early 2007
Nizoral since 2007
 02/02/2011 08:55 AM

Author Icon
G37guy
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: mintyfresh

erm, bit of an overreaction don't you think!

this guy definitely has some frontal recession,

so he still has a lot of hair, so did we all at one time didn't we?

surely this forum is open to anyone that's experiencing hair loss, even the early stages?, ripping the guy apart on his first post is not cool

recedingrandy, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here to cope with your future fight against this crappy disease

Well said
 02/02/2011 05:11 PM

Author Icon
recedingrandy

BIG thanks to those of you who have responded, and I REALLY appreciate the welcomes.

Yes there are some inconsistencies in the lighting. The pics were also taken with different phones, so that doesn't help. However, I just decided to take the pictures when I had the time and the motivation. I guess consistency and accuracy suffered in my before-and-afters, but I think the pics still do a decent job of showing what's what.

After reading your replies, I guess I do notice some improvement in my hairline. Rogaine is a bit costly, but if it works at all then it's worth it to me. I hope I motivated some people to start using the product!

I'm definitely going to be keeping a CLOSE eye on my hairline. I do not want to see it go back any further, and I feel like preventative treatment is my best bet at this point.

Thanks for the opinions! Take care!
 02/02/2011 05:33 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

I think you are slightly better off today than you were at baseline, but it's hard to be sure.

Originally posted by: recedingrandy
I do not want to see it go back any further, and I feel like preventative treatment is my best bet at this point.

If that's the case than you should consider antiandrogens of some sort, even if it is only nizoral shampoo.

Androgens are ultimately what stimulates a follicle to miniaturize, and while minoxidil may temporarily usurp the miniaturization it does not prevent the androgen damage.

To put it simply, you need to think in the long term.

After a period of regrowth minoxidil does not slow the continued hair loss.

Notice how the placebo and treatment groups lose hair at the same rate...

Now compare the difference in hair count between the placebo and treatment groups when an antiandrogenic treatment is used:

I'm not saying you need to start finasteride if you don't want to. I'm just saying that if prevention is your goal, as it should be, you need to address the androgen stimulus somehow.

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 02/02/2011 08:32 PM

Author Icon
Hair today,Gone tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

You are in the very beginning stages of hairloss. You have a great opportunity to be proactive, and sounds like you are doing just that. Lets just say you are in better shape than about 99% of the guys on here who haven't had some surgical work done. Congrats.
 02/03/2011 07:37 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

it looks like an improvement to me. Kepp going.. i wouldn't start finasteride right now.. keep going with minox.. if you start losing ground, then start fin.
 02/05/2011 07:10 AM

Author Icon
PigFaceBoy
Prolific Poster

holy crap batman. these young guys have no friggin idea what bald is.

you are not bald, you are not balding, you are not receding. REPEAT, YOU ARE NOT BALD, NOT BALDING NOT RECEDING.

Thats a normal adult mature male hairline. You're not 16 anymore, and Dorothy is not in Kansas anymore either.

You keep hanging around here with us bald guys and you will be a self-fulfilled propechy.

anyone telling this kid to start taking a drug everyday for the rest of his life is a MO-ron.

well thats my good deed for the day.
 02/05/2011 09:07 AM

Author Icon
SilkySmooth
Accomplished Poster

yup, definitely not balding/receding at all

I really think if the best thing we can do for him is ban him from the forum (for his own good, seriously)

And again, not balding/receding like pigface said (at all)
 02/05/2011 09:36 AM

Author Icon
Patrick_Bateman
Prolific Poster

There was thinning in the before pictures, absolutely no doubt about it. Agreed it's minimal and someone who wasn't balding probably wouldn't even spot it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there or isn't worth treating.

The only people who need to be banned from the forum are the ones who take their bitterness of not catching their hairloss this early, out on a person who does.

The fact that it thickened up in the after pictures proves it isn't just a mature hairline, because with hairloss treatment he was able to improve his hairline.
Too many older posters around here think you have to be a NW3 before you have a legitimate claim to post around here. Just remember OP, if you'd sat on your arse and did nothing like these two are suggesting and came back in 3 years in a substantially worse condition, all they will do is shrug their shoulders and say "guess you were right after all!"... it'll be no skin off their noses ultimately.
So trust your instinct on it because you are the one who has to live with the results. 99.9% of the time the person going through the process knows whether they are actually balding or not. You clearly thought it was something worth treating, I'd back your judgment.

Depending on your family history, I'd start to consider taking a low dose of finasteride if I was in your situation, but that's just me.

Edited: 02/05/2011 at 09:53 AM by Patrick_Bateman
 02/05/2011 09:56 AM

Author Icon
NegativeNorwood
Accomplished Poster

A few things:
Some of the after pictures look better than the before s.
Minox is not the treatment to be using right now. Low level anti DHT treatments should be used.
The pictures don't show conclusively that it's MPB the HairDX test is a much better indicat
 02/05/2011 10:01 AM

Author Icon
Sir_Balding
Prolific Poster

You're one to talk. If that is you in your profile, you should be banned as well. I see no hair loss.
 02/05/2011 10:02 AM

Author Icon
Sir_Balding
Prolific Poster

I also see in an improvement he is thinning some in the temples but like Richlocks said, I think he is okay for now if he keeps up with his current regimen.
 02/05/2011 10:07 AM

Author Icon
malo
Occasional Poster

None of your pictures are under the same lighting conditions so it's hard to tell if the minox has done anything or not.
Like SS and PFB said it does not look like you are balding, to me it looks like a maturing hairline.
Minox however is a growth stimulant so it will not keep the hair there forever. It may grow back but without a dht blocker like propecia it will continue to recede.
If I were you and wanted a real diagnoses I would stop wasting time on hair loss websites and go to a good dermatologist or a hair transplant surgeon who could do a hair and scalp miniaturization study and you would then know if your hair loss was aggressive or not.
I would bet you have very little to worry about but only a doctor will be able to tell you for sure.
 02/05/2011 10:46 AM

Author Icon
PigFaceBoy
Prolific Poster

Edited: 03/31/2011 at 11:23 AM by PigFaceBoy
 02/05/2011 02:34 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

he has some slight thinning. Minox can grow hair on someone who has ZERO mpb.. so it's not true that his improvement means he must have MPB.

He could stay this way well into his 40s.. or thin out like crazy in the next 10 years. Who knows. If minox doesn't give him side effects and isn't a pain in the ass.. then more power to you and keep going. I really do think there is some improvement, and at the very least you are maintaining. Perhaps had nizoral 1% every three days for a shampoo, and then just monitor closely. Reassess every 6 months to a one year.
 02/05/2011 03:56 PM

Author Icon
Earth
Accomplished Poster

Holy beep beep beep... Ban him pleaseeeeeeeee!

-Finasteride 1.25mg since 1999
-Rogaine Foam once daily (on and off) since January 2010 on temples only. (No results)
-Change my shampoo to Revita and use Nizoral 2% only once a week.
-Nutricap vitamins( yellow box, hate the one for men) Since June 2012
-PSI since october 17 2012 (Not good enough for the price) Stop using it.
-Experimental product since June 1 2013.
Statistics
30773 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 624 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 626 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc