hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Marijuana and hair loss
Topic Summary: too much pot = not good for hair. here's the mechanism...
Created On: 01/19/2011 03:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2011 03:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

This one's for anyone with little history of AGA, and perhaps always suspected their beloved mary jane as the culprit but never quite found enough motivation to give it up for a few months and see if it had an effect on their hair...
hopefully this'll give you a little push to give it a shot... bc it very well could be the answer in your individual case.
obviously smoking will reduce circulation and overtoking will overactivate the HPA axis resulting in increased stress hormones (like CRH, cortisol, etc) which can be detrimental themselves for hair growth but thats obvious stuff i think. as for an exact way THC can be bad for your hair (in high doses mind you)... well here it is people. i see too much skepticism out there and too many people saying 'well i know plenty of potheads and they all have clear skin and thick hair.' yeah, well i know plenty of people who take adderall and don't have heart attacks or strokes. that doesn't mean amphetamines won't do so in those predisposed. so yea, just cuz something is not DIRECTLY observable in everday life doesn't mean there isn't a link. i mean, that's the whole point of doing large empirical studies and finding statistically significant results. but anyway, i digress...

don't get me wrong. i'm NOT saying marijuana causes hairloss. but it CAN cause hair loss if used to the extreme (for example, if someone ingested THC multiple times a day for several years) and the person has genes which predispose them to it (perhaps a certain polymorphism of the CB1 receptor, or just higher CB1 receptor expression in hair follicles for any multitude of epigenetic reasons). below is the biochemical mechanism...

in a nutshell (for those who don't wanna read the whole thing, tho i really recommend you do cuz it's fascinating how important a role cannabinoids (both endogenous, like anandamide, and exogenous, like delta-9thc) play in regulating homeostasis in so many ways), but yea, in a nutshell, we have cannabinoid receptors not only in our brain and nervous system but basically in many other places in our body (e.g. liver, stomach, immune cells), including our SKIN. CB1 receptor activation (via for example THC) attenuates hair shaft elongation and intrafollicular proliferation, and stimulates apoptosis and development of catagen regression in hair follicles. (Yep, that's right people, you have receptors for THC not just in the brain... but in your hair follicles too!...) bad stuff for those trying to grow hair. and oh yea, to anyone with acne and oily skin, CB2 receptor activation in sebatocytes in the skin induces lipid synthesis (i.e. increases sebum production ->aggravated acne in those with oily skin to begin with).

Now, keep in mind people, i am NOT saying if you smoke three joints a week that your hair is gonna fall out. or your rogaine won't work, or w/e. but i am saying, if you have hair loss (especially of non-mpb pattern/more diffuse thinning), and you don't have the family history for it, and no other real risk factors (for example, you're a young, active, relatively healthy non-tobacco smoker) but you indulge on a daily basis in cannabis and are experiencing hair loss simultaneously... well, i believe at that point the best thing you can do to try and halt your hair loss and maximize your chance of regrowth is give your body a 3-6 month holiday from the drug. just give it a shot and see for yourself is all i'm saying. there are alot of anecdotal reports out there of people who quit and regrow their hair and there are alot of people out there who will fight you to the death and say that's complete b.s and there must be something else which explains it. well maybe. who knows whos right. the best we can do is just experiment on ourselves (if it's safe). and the potential benefits of regrowing hair vs the potential costs of lost peace of mind for a few months i think are very worth it. especially, if it's the best explanation given your individual history and genetics. logically at least it seems like a no brainer, but i know addiction can cloud judgement. we do know this though...
CB1 activation (via THC) = less hair growth, proliferation, and more apoptosis, and catagen. so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Oh, yeah, here's the mechanism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2757311

This also calls to question, cuz the study does mention it at the end, does anyone know anything about CB1 antagonists or inverse agonists (or ECS tone reducing agents) as potential hair loss treatments? i mean, given the distribution of CB1 receptors in the brain and the role they have i think it'd be bad to take an oral but a topical would be so very enticing me thinks.

also, very interesting if you do a little research on capsacin, resveratrol, and curcumin and their effect on CB1 receptors. idk it's all food for thought. maybe if you do smoke, things like moderate red wine, curry and red pepper can help attenuate the loss... who knos all speculation really

Edited: 02/14/2011 at 02:48 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/19/2011 03:17 PM

Author Icon
Relentless
Regular Poster

Hmm. I'm going to try this. It's food for thought indeed, my hairloss coincided almost exactly with me starting to smoke dope on a 1 - 2x weekly basis. Thanks.
 01/19/2011 03:44 PM

Author Icon
RSR38
Prolific Poster

Rimonabant (Acomplia) should regrow hair then, acording to your logic.
 01/19/2011 03:47 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

Yeah, something like that... rimonabant will help regrow hair IF and ONLY IF the cause (or aggravating factor) of the loss is prolonged overactivation of CB1 receptors in the skin (as can happen with constant THC ingestion). and assuming the drug can make its way to the receptors that the study is talking about. there are many reasons people lose hair but yeah, rimonabant would probably help someone who tokes multiple times a day, while having no effect on someone who's losing hair due to cigarette smoking.

problem i see with rimonabant, it blocks the ECS activity in the brain and can lead to all kinds of side effects which wouldn't make the treatment worth it
 01/19/2011 04:56 PM

Author Icon
FreakingOut
Accomplished Poster

Very informative post and interesting. However, I this is an extremely long shot. I'm a daily smoker for years and truely believe I would be much balder without it. Although my habbit is not an addiction, instead a daily indulgment, I recognize that I may be a little closed-minded on the subject.

Consider the following:

Would you recognize that stress plays a significant role in hairloss?
Would you agree that smoking marijuanna significantly reduces stress?

I am speaking from experience when I say definately that my level of stress greatly effects my rate of hairloss.

Would you consider that healthy sleep patterns play a significant role in hairloss?
I can also contribute better and healthier sleep to a nightly indulgance of marijuanna a few hours before bed.

Just some thoughts to ponder
 01/19/2011 05:53 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

yeah, of course stress plays a role. and it's very possible it's helped you. i would, however say that given all the scientific data and research on the subject, yours is a bit more of a long shot than mine. research marijuana and the HPA (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis) for more on that but basically daily toking is not likely to reduce stress hormones, actually it's likely to have the opposite effect.

Now, having said that, it's important to say, it's the dose that makes the poison. one glass of red wine a day results in improved cardiovascular and pulmonary function but three is a detriment. it depends how much you toke daily. two to three hits i suspect might lower stress hormones (n.b. I would think not by actually reducing the levels themselves, but preventing the increase in stress hormones when not 'high' and getting stressed) but a bowl probably would have the opposite effect. Interestingly, tiny doses of THC raise serotonin concentration (granted in rats) but in high doses makes it plummet. anyway, you can speculate all you want that MJ helps reduce hair loss by lowering your stress but i have yet to see a study showing a decrease in stress hormones from marijuana use (though i have seen the opposite). i will not disagree with you, smoking bud definitely reduces cognitive stress (at least in most cases). but i think it's kinda like benzos. benzos reduce anxiety but as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong) they have no effect on the HPA axis (or stress hormones) whereas SSRIs (in high doses) do. so just cuz something 'reduces stress' doesn't necessarily mean it is helpful in the battle against hair loss. think of alcohol. yeah it reduces cognitive stress but has the opposite effect on stress hormones (actually increases them by overactivating the HPA) food for thought. if you have hair loss and are a daily toker, well, just saying, probably not the best idea given now what we know about the ECS system in the skin. and if you do have such stress in your life (or difficulty sleeping -tho i must say if you smoke daily, it'd be hard to say that the mj is helping you sleep vs the not having it making the sleep quality worse) that needs to be medicated, well, perhaps theres something that doesn't have the side effects that THC does on the hair follicle (if your priority is hair loss). yeah, weeds probably less 'toxic' overall than most compounds used to treat anxiety or insomnia but i think it all depends on the individual patient and circumstances. and someone w/ no family history, and no risk factors aside from 'stress' and mj use (be it to self-medicate the stress or for w/e reason) might be better choosing an alternative course of action. i think all the evidence points to it being 'worth a shot.' you're very unlikely to lose more hair from quitting (but give it a fair shot. at least 3-5 months bc there may be an initial shed of course) especially if you can find an alternative stress reduction/sleep improving technique or drug.

Edited: 01/20/2011 at 09:06 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/19/2011 06:14 PM

Author Icon
manny.telcom
Regular Poster

My brother is a year younger than me (he's 21) and he smoked a ton of weed growing up and he has no signs of hair loss while I'm a Norwood 6/7 and I've never done any drugs. So I think it helps.

Toke up
 01/19/2011 06:15 PM

Author Icon
TheSun
Prolific Poster

Never done drugs either and started loosing hair early
 01/19/2011 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

thanks for presenting your one individual case and observations but i think you re completely undermining my first post. please people... i'm just saying...

do the research... if it seems compelling... give it a shot and judge for yourself... do NOT try to figure it out by what you observe in everyday life bc there are far too many confounding variables.

I'm not saying you will neccesarily lose hair if you smoke or you had to have smoked to lose hair! please read my words carefully!!!

Edited: 01/20/2011 at 09:39 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/19/2011 06:41 PM

Author Icon
Hair today,Gone tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

Its amazing the subjects that come up on a hairloss forum...I would imagine since smoking weed causes other problems much worse than hairloss that those reasons would cause you to want to quit first. I never understood how peoples nerves get so "fried" that they need to smoke weed or drink heavily? Interesting how for our vanity we will question a thing and leave out stuff like whether it could kill us someday! There are smokers with great hair, smokers with bad hair. Guess that is proof enough for me there are forces at work much more pertinent to the situation than that.
 01/19/2011 06:46 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

please guys, no value judgements or anything like that! even if you don't mean it as such. let's keep the debate scientific and on topic. i like how you say 'there are smokers with great hair and those with bad.' hence the importance of really understanding the biochemistry behind drugs and their impact on the body and looking for statistically significant results (rather than trying to observe the world and people around us). i mean, yea there are cigarette smokers who get lung cancer and those who don't. if i know someone that smoked 90 years and never even gets COPD am i gonna say smoking doesn't cause lung cancer? no of course not!

My post is about the Endocannabinoid System, CB1 receptors in and around hair follicles and the action that THC has when activating these receptors.

I don't wanna say smoking weed is good or bad or will kill you or cause hair loss for everyone every single time you smoke (or vape, or eat it or w/e). But it obviously can cause hair loss if you smoke multiple times a day for a long time and have the right genes. and the study i cited is the MECHANISM how. it applies to all humans. the question is, is your hair loss (to some degree) a function of overactivation of CB receports or too high ECS tone or is it something else entirely (e.g. androgens and aging, stress hormones, or autoimmune)?
(that's rhetorical btw don't leap at the opportunity to go off on a tangent)

Edited: 01/20/2011 at 09:40 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/19/2011 10:53 PM

Author Icon
Dobo
Prolific Poster

There may be some people to come along who can talk "science talk", but it's not me. All I can add to this is that I am a heavy pot smoker and have been for many years. I like it. I stopped here and there over the course of the years when traveling, I don't have any trouble stopping... I don't have any trouble starting. I also have been having no trouble growing hair. Or with hair shedding, since I figured out some things that work for me.

I figured that it could at least help the thread topic somewhat if people at least piped in with their personal experiences. I also think it's important to add that I am in my 40's, and I have alot of friends who all share my habit and are in my age group and have no obvious hairloss. Wow, please don't get angry with me, I appreciate your well meant post but I am also remembering these pertinent points:

- All of my hairloss occured before I smoked, all of my regrowth happened while I was smoking heavily.

- One of my friends has hairloss bad, but it didn't start until after he quit smoking herb. And it was agressive.

- One elderly friend of mine who never tried pot was prescribed it (marinol) when they had cancer to help with the appetite. They were on a dosage that had them high throughout the day everyday. The hair had no trouble coming back after chemo made it all fall out.

I know this isn't the kind of reply you wanted, but if all you get are people with experiences to the contrary of your findings it may have some small bearing on the proceedings.

01/19/2011 11:03 PM

Author Icon
highsierra
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Dobo

There may be some people to come along who can talk "science talk", but it's not me. All I can add to this is that I am a heavy pot smoker and have been for many years. I like it. I stopped here and there over the course of the years when traveling, I don't have any trouble stopping... I don't have any trouble starting. I also have been having no trouble growing hair. Or with hair shedding, since I figured out some things that work for me.

I figured that it could at least help the thread topic somewhat if people at least piped in with their personal experiences. I also think it's important to add that I am in my 40's, and I have alot of friends who all share my habit and are in my age group and have no obvious hairloss. Wow, please don't get angry with me, I appreciate your well meant post but I am also remembering these pertinent points:

- All of my hairloss occured before I smoked, all of my regrowth happened while I was smoking heavily.

- One of my friends has hairloss bad, but it didn't start until after he quit smoking herb. And it was agressive.

- One elderly friend of mine who never tried pot was prescribed it (marinol) when they had cancer to help with the appetite. They were on a dosage that had them high throughout the day everyday. The hair had no trouble coming back after chemo made it all fall out.

I know this isn't the kind of reply you wanted, but if all you get are people with experiences to the contrary of your findings it may have some small bearing on the proceedings.

Man I gotta concur........I smoked dope from the early 70's to the early 00's, mostly every day. And my hairloss really switched on after I quit. I was the quintessential dope smoking long haired hippie, then I quit, and became the quintessential balding middle aged guy. I'll go back to gettin high (I'm in my 50's) if it means a nice head of hair
 01/20/2011 01:18 AM

Author Icon
Ken
Regular Poster

Wasn't there some study just a year or two ago out of the Netherlands that said that the new kind of weed that's grown with all types of chemicals that make it stronger actually increases the speed of MPB?

It wasn't the cause of MPB and it wasn't the weed per se, but the chemicals used now to grow it that affect hormones, speeding it up the process of MPB dramatically.

There wasn't much discussion of the study at the time, which surprised me. I thought maybe it was bogus... the study did originate out of Amsterdam after all...

Even googling it now only brings up references to it, but not the study itself.
 01/20/2011 06:58 AM

Author Icon
Hair today,Gone tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

So you guys found the cure?!??! Who knew it was smoking pot, well besides the pot smokers that is?!?!?! I still won't start though...............
 01/20/2011 08:20 AM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

okay, you're right, i didn't wanna hear your personal experience. first of all, because people most likely to post experiences here are those who a) still smoke (for w/e reason) and b) will defend it adamantly without thorough scientific evidence or logic really for that matter.

anyway, don't you see the inherent flaw in thinking the way you do? there are far too many other variables other than the weed itself in the story you told me. and you discourage people from trying something that could REALLY help them.

You say:

dare i say perhaps overactive ECS was not the cause of your loss at all (or even a problem for YOU and your genes once you did blaze alot)... perhaps it was DHT or auto-immune... idk your case, but whatever is causing it to regrow, well, that's what was out of balance or needed to be regulated in the first place. not every male who takes anabolic steroids suffers hair loss. and lets say there is one who takes them but has hair loss no due to DHT but telogen effluvium due to a death in the family or something. well, they can keep taking the steroids and once the effluvium resolves itself the hair will grow back. it's all about the underlying cause and individual genetics people.

ok, this ones useless. i mean, when did the hair loss start, right after quitting or after a moderate amount of time? either way it doesn't even matter. think tho, aside from CB1 activation, weed may help by fighting inflammation/immune response (it is a potent immunomodulator) or some other mechanism for that matter. so if in his INDIVIDUAL case the hair loss was caused (or aggravated) by an overactive immune response and/or inflammation it's very possible mj use was helping him. most likely this isnt the case. most likely quitting bud correlated with other changes in his life which happened to cause the hair loss i would think.

duh, bc the hair fell out due to the chemo, not CB1 activation via THC. maybe the quit marinol after chemo too think of that? i mean, the marinol is for the pain and appetite loss of chemo, so no chemo, probably no marinol Rx. and if he was still taking it after, obviously he either wasn't taking enough marinol to induce the effects described in the study or he very simply was just not genetically predisposed (e.g. maybe he just has very little CB receptor expression in hair follicles, who knos).

Sooo, yeah, please dont draw conclusions from such observations. it's just completely illogical and ignoring everything we know in this day and age about statistical inference, epigenetics and proper scientific method for that matter (tho i do realize sometimes it's necessary or beneficial to step outside the bounds of such to move forward or be practical)...

i really didn't want to do this, because like i said i do NOT want people to focus on individual cases but i will tell my story and why i'm even posting here to begin with. seriously tho, don't be convinced by my story cuz it's just a CASE STUDY. i want you guys to look at the science, look at YOUR situation, and then decide if it's worth a shot to stop for a few months, bc it very well could be a godsend.

so on to me...

currently 29 years old. been an avid exerciser since middle school, never smoked cigarettes, dabbled in moderate/heavy alcohol use during my undergrad years (getting intoxicated probably on avg. about 2.5 times a week). anyway, i have no history of AGA either. everyone in my fam has quite a head of hair even well beyond their 50s. now, i was smoking high potency cannabis multiple times a day for about tens years (obviously with a few breaks in between). about age 25 i had an explosion of adult acne preceeded about a year and half before by progressively worsening hairloss.
well, acne only has a few causes and it's not difficult to figure out. in adolescents it's "common" cuz of flucuating hormones (but i always had good, nearly clear skin before age 25). In cushings and alcoholics or just very stressed people its the stress hormones themselves which cause the excessive sebum and subsequent acne. it could also be an immune deficiency or allergy however. and there are theories about GI health and insulin sensitivity. but anyway, i basically ruled everything out one by one with either medical tests or experimentation on myself.

well, needless to say i did so much research and tried just about everything under the sun for the acne (with the exception of the accutane cuz of the potential hair loss side effect). everything from paleo, low-glycemic, anti-inflammatory, hi anti-oxidant, probiotic supplemented diet to moderate daily aerobic exercise to supplements to daily sunshine to yoga and mindfulness meditation. nothing worked. mind you, the only 'harmful' thing i was doing was still smoking. i just couldnt give up on my beloved mary jane.
so i had a barrage of blood tests to test my sex hormones (test. free and total, prolactin, fsh, lh, estradiol, dht, etc), stress hormones and insulin and glucose sensitivity. nothing out of the ordinary

an oh yea, i started avodart once daily and minox twice a day about age 26 but they didn't seem to do anything -no reduction in shedding or regrowth (though i kno, perhaps it slowed it down, there's no way to say really).

Anyway, upon extensive research on the neuroendocrine immunology of the skin i stumbled upon the ECS and pursued that a little bit. well, needless to say once i saw the study i cited above i was floored. I quit 5 months ago and guess what... my acne COMPLETELY cleared on it's own with nothing but a benzoyl peroxide prescription wash (after have been through antibiotics and all kinds of topicals). the oily skin i had vanished within a week of stopping. here's the kicker though...

my hair loss stopped and i can now see visible signs of thicker regrowth! yes i am still using minox and dutasteride but i cannot tell you how relieved and happy i feel to finally know something is working and it isn't just getting worse day in day out. i LOOOOVE cannabis though. I crave it every day. I may even experiment with once a week once i'm comfortable. For now, i know that in my individual case, it was the sole cause of my skin going out of wack. bc in a very methodical way i tested so much on myself.

now, the science is there. and it's not hard to see why it happened. i smoked high potency stuff that was chronically overactivating my endocannabinoid system. my ECS went out of wack. and it took almost 7 years for my individual biochemistry to get to that point! (but everyone is different always keep that in the back of your mind) my story is a warning. and i'm gonna say, i think (speculation only) that i would not have lost hair or had adult acne if i kept my smoking to a moderate amount. but think about it, ingest a compound with biologically active effects in high concentrations all the time and your body is bound to go out of wack (unless you are correcting a natural imbalance; but most of us produce adequate amounts of endocannabinoids to maintain proper homeostasis).

My story aside, like i said before, CB1 receptor activation induces hair follicle apoptosis and catagen regression. that's for everyone! the question is who are you? do you have a genetic predispostion for the loss due to a certain polymorphism of the receptor, or maybe you just express more of them (or maybe genetically, you have less of other compounds that competitively antagonize thc at the cb1 receptor, the possibilities are endless but yes everyone will have a different manifestation of the effect). Just don't overactivate those receptors is all i'm saying. smoke, but do it in moderation (and if you're trying to regrow hair for ANY reason, i would say try to minimize it as much as possible). and if you suffer hair loss and can really pinpoint mj or at least highly suspect it, just quit for a few months and see what happens. that's the best you can do. don't trust me, don't trust your peers, just see for yourself. it may be VERY hard (i know) but it is WORTH IT. and oh yea, search for new ways to reduce stress (meditation, hobbies, w/e) cuz you may find something that works even better than thc who knows (or at least doesn't have as many side effects).

and oh yea, for more dumbed down basic info on the ECS just youtube the "endocannabinoid system" and you'll see how THC can mess with more things than short term memory and appetite... all food for thought... mj is great. i love it. its relatively benign, but most certainly not without it's risks or costs... especially as the dose escalates

Edited: 02/13/2011 at 12:04 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/20/2011 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Cue Bald
Prolific Poster

Why don't the medicated forms of THC and canabidinol cause MPB as a reported side effect? Even things like Propranolol and Amitryptiline come with "hair loss" side effect warnings (based on the reports through trials), so do you think Propranolol causes more HL than THC? (when propranolol causes practically negligable hair loss).

Another anecdote here, I know 6 chronic pot smokers, all NW1's (Ages from 24 - 30). The three of us who are NW4 by 25 only ever do a moderate amount of alcohol if that.

Did you read about this on one of those "Hairloss-Research" websites that try to push you "natural" cures?
 01/20/2011 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

wow, man you are just wayy off... did you read the study i cited in my first post? does that look like 'one of those website advocating a natural cure'

i am posting here bc i have personally experienced tremendous reversal of progression of my loss after cutting out the stuff (it is very important to note the quantity i was consuming -a prolongued very high daily dose of THC) but most importantly because i believe in information and science. something that helped me so much i just want to get out there so other people can just give it a shot. the misinformation and 'ignorance is bliss' attitude is somewhat irking

im beginning to get a little frustrated with how easily people think they have stuff figured out just by observing a small subset of people in their life. i highly suggest you go on pubmed rather than draw conclusions from friends and their smoking habits.

DO NOT BELIEVE ME. but do not believe the opposition either. all i'm saying is do the research from LEGIT sources, draw your own conclusion, then maybe just give it a shot? if you are a very heavy toker and somehow manage to give it up, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised in half a year or so. take the above research to your md, derm, or a biochemistry researcher and i think they'll all tell you cutting the stuff out is more likely to help than hurt. but it doesn't take a genius to see that really. i think alot of it is just denial. trust me, i battled long with denial.

oh yea, as for why it's not listed (or reported) as a side effect... there are ohhh so many reasons for that i don't think i really need to answer that JUST READ THE BIOCHEMISTRY BEHIND THE ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM and keep in mind that the dose makes the poison. i mean, how many people do you know who took accutane? how many suffered depression? none? all? why wasn't it listed as a potential side effect until well after it was on the market? i know three friends who took it and none of them ever got depressed. in fact, the opposite, their mood improved due to having better skin. am i gonna say isotretinoin cannot cause depression or is an anti-depressant? No. lets just say it's complicated. and btw, one thing you should always keep in mind when reading potential side effects listed for a medication... just bc something is listed as a side effect just means that such was a more common effect in trials vs placebo. not neccesarily that the drug is the cause (there can always be intermediate or confounding variables)

and oh yea, i never said MPB. i said hair loss. different things

P.S. i just wanna add, the reason mj is such a great medicine is that the ECS is ubiquitous. it regulates almost everything in the body. hence, the numerous applications. having said that, cannabinoids (including THC) are potent immunomodulators and anti-inflammatories (with some anti-aging effects) in addition to having numerous other benefits. It is very possible that in low or sporadic doses the positive effects of exogenous cannabinoids outweigh the negative ones (yes, even for hair loss), however, if hair loss is my main problem (not arthritis or MS or nausea), well, i think i'd want a different anti-inflammatory or stress reliever to do the trick

Edited: 01/20/2011 at 10:18 PM by Beavisthebuthead
 01/20/2011 01:50 PM

Author Icon
RSR38
Prolific Poster

Well JWH 018 is 5x stronger at binding to the CB1 AND CB2 receptors. It is the chemical in the "synthetic pot" being marketed and in the news. Brands like Spike Max and Mr. Nice Guy have high doses of JWH 018 and that makes them FULL AGONISTS of both receptors. People have been using and abusing this (and many other JWH molecules and WIN and AM1102, etc) for several years now and NO ONE has reported hair loss or even mentioned a causal relationship with MPB after the onset of JWH use. This stuff (certain brands) is MUCH more potent than high grade 20% THC mary jane.

Also, Pot has been linked with decreases in T levels and increases in E levels, which would actually be beneficial, more than harmful to hair. Sorry, but move on to another cure, BUD! LOL
 01/20/2011 02:01 PM

Author Icon
Beavisthebuthead
Occasional Poster

good stuff, good stuff... yea, i know about those synthetics. but they're VERY new and just bc you don't hear of something doesn't mean it doesnt exist. i don't need to move on to another cure cuz like i said, i found mine. that's why im here. in an attempt to help others like me. and abstaining is not a cure for baldness. it is a way to attenuate hair loss in chronic, heavy tokers.

again tho, i wanna stress bc some people have difficulty understanding JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS NOT REPORTED ON SOME BLOG ON THE INTERNET OR DIRECTLY OBSERVABLE IN EVERYDAY LIFE OR ON SOME BLOOD TEST RESULTS DOES NOT MEAN THERE ISNT A LINK. how is this so hard to understand? i think we need to improve critical thinking skills a little bit. it's rarely ever so transparent.

are you telling me that just because you've never heard of someone reporting hair loss after using a very new drug that it's more likely that those STRONG CB RECEPTOR AGONISTS do not at all cause the effects on the hair follicle that have been shown for other cannabinoids (see my original citation)? or is it just more likely for some reason or another (w/e it may be) the information has not yet come to light/your attention? perhaps to really be detrimental to hair growth a certain dosage threshold must be crossed. and perhaps those who abused those very strong synthetics just experienced other more troubling side effects (e.g. psychosis or intense agitation) before reaching that dose. perhaps it takes time to change CB1 receptor expression before noticing hair loss. there is an endless list of possible explanations for why you never heard it before from using synthetics or why it isn't listed as a side effect for marinol.

furthermore, as far as i know bud, males with AGA tend to have LOWER total testosterone (but higher levels of free testosterone) and HIGHER ESTROGEN. tho i may be wrong here i know but that's what i believe i've seen. Those are just sex hormones tho, more linked with androgenetic alopecia than general hair growth... but once again, from another angle, most certainly not an argument for pot use. one against it in fact. LOL. again tho, i'm not just talking about just MPB here. im talking about hair follicle regulation

Edited: 01/20/2011 at 10:42 PM by Beavisthebuthead
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Marijuana and hair loss

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
31727 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 516 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 521 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc