hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does propecia thicken the individual hair shaft?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/06/2010 03:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2010 03:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nickhairy
Occasional Poster

Ive got very thin hair (shafts) on my crown. Does propecia open up the follicle and cause new hair to have a thicker shaft or does it simply prevent the existing hair from falling out?
I searched but could not find an answer to this specific question.

Thanks.
 10/06/2010 03:44 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

It can thicken miniaturized hair. It will not thicken normal hair. Minoxidil might though.

-------------------------
NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 10/06/2010 03:57 PM

Author Icon
nickhairy
Occasional Poster

When you say miniturized, do you mean a hair shaft that has been made thinner by a shrinking follicle? I meant that my crown hairs are thin due to loss, they are not normal hairs. Thanks.
 10/06/2010 04:05 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Yes, that's what I mean.

After 4 months men on minoxidil alone will see more "regrowth" (thickening of miniaturized hair) than men on finasteride alone will at 12 months.

However, after 12 months men on minoxidil alone will have less remaining regrowth than men on finasteride alone.

Your best bet is to use both: minoxidil to regrow, and finasteride to regrow and maintain.

See a post of mine in a different thread that runs down the difference between growth stimulants and antiandrogens.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

10/07/2010 05:09 PM

Author Icon
Calvin 2.0
Accomplished Poster

Thickening the individual shafts is the main way that Fin causes any "thickening" at all. It causes very little regrowth of missing hair shafts, it mainly works by blocking and mildly reversing the MPB damage on the existing ones.
 10/07/2010 06:23 PM

Author Icon
nickhairy
Occasional Poster

Next week I am going to try to get a prescription for Propecia, hopefully I can hold off anymore loss.
Thanks for the replies.
 10/08/2010 02:21 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Calvin 2.0

Thickening the individual shafts is the main way that Fin causes any "thickening" at all. It causes very little regrowth of missing hair shafts, it mainly works by blocking and mildly reversing the MPB damage on the existing ones.

In fairness, doesn't regrowth only occur to the extent that there is at least existing vellus hair?

Otherwise we are talking about follicular neo-genisis, right?

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

10/08/2010 04:10 AM

Author Icon
mintyfresh
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: nickhairy

Ive got very thin hair (shafts) on my crown. Does propecia open up the follicle and cause new hair to have a thicker shaft or does it simply prevent the existing hair from falling out?

I searched but could not find an answer to this specific question.

Thanks.

hi, a few facts on male pattern hair loss

nothing will stop hair falling out, as it is a natural part of the hair growth cycle,

every healthy hair goes through a growing phase, then after 2 to 4 years or so it falls out, then it goes through a resting phase for several months, then starts it's growing phase again, you only have about 70% of active follicles actually growing hair at any one time

what we generally call "Hair Loss" should really be termed "Hair Miniaturization"
in some men with DHT sensitive follicles, the hair grows back a little thinner each time it goes through a cycle, until the hair that's produced is nothing more that fine fluff.

this is how male pattern baldness works, it's not because it falls out as such

propcecia reduces the effect of DHT on those sensitive follicles which can allow the hair shaft to become thicker over the next growth cycles, generally speaking it is most successful at preventing further miniaturization
 10/08/2010 04:27 AM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

Think of inhibition of 5ar as helping to slow hairloss and thickening your hair via topicals
Statistics
32105 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 15 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 551 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 566 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc