hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: SPET-085
Topic Summary: Saw Palmetto as good as Fin?
Created On: 09/29/2010 03:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/29/2010 03:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wxman
Regular Poster

Monday, 27 September 2010

Euromed, 08100 Mollet del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain.

ppais@euromed.esThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

The nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH)-dependent membrane protein 5alpha-reductase irreversibly catalyses the conversion of testosterone to the most potent androgen, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). In humans, two 5alpha-reductase isoenyzmes are expressed: type I and type II. Type II is found primarily in prostate tissue. Saw palmetto extract (SPE) has been widely used for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The mechanisms of the pharmacological effects of SPE include the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase, among other actions. Clinical studies of SPE have been equivocal, with some showing significant results and others not. These inconsistent results may be due, in part, to varying bioactivities of the SPE used in the studies.

The aim of the present study was to determine the in vitro potency of a novel saw palmetto ethanol extract (SPET-085), an inhibitor of the 5alpha-reductase isoenzyme type II, in a cell-free test system. On the basis of the enzymatic conversion of the substrate androstenedione to the 5alpha-reduced product 5alpha-androstanedione, the inhibitory potency was measured and compared to those of finasteride, an approved 5alpha-reductase inhibitor.

SPET-085 concentration-dependently inhibited 5alpha-reductase type II in vitro (IC(50)=2.88+/-0.45 microg/mL). The approved 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, finasteride, tested as positive control, led to 61% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase type II.

SPET-085 effectively inhibits the enzyme that has been linked to BPH, and the amount of extract required for activity is very low compared to data reported for other extracts. It can be concluded from data in the literature that SPET-085 is as effective as a hexane extract of saw palmetto that exhibited the highest levels of bioactivity, and is more effective than other SPEs tested. This study confirmed that SPET-085 has prostate health-promoting bioactivity that also corresponds favorably to that reported for the established prescription drug standard of therapy, finasteride.

Written by:
Pais P. Are you the author?

Reference: Adv Ther. 2010 Aug;27(8):555-63. Epub 2010 Jul 10.
doi: 10.1007/s12325-010-0041-6

PubMed Abstract
PMID: 20623347

UroToday.com BPH and Male LUTS Section

[link to Beyond the Abstract on UroToday.com]
 09/29/2010 08:44 AM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

I think most people would agree it isn't as good as finasteride.

But I've been using it for years orally and it does help me. No question.

I'm not so sure it works well topically, although I can say the same think about fin.

Btw, how's the grape seed extract working for you? Can you gove us an update?

Is that new growth going to darken and go terminal?
 09/29/2010 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Big_bear
Accomplished Poster

Side Show bob

Is it true that beta sitosterol is better and stronger than Saw Palmetto? would it be even stronger if both are taken at the same time?

-------------------------

Accept things the way they are not how you wish it could be, but fate can be so cruel
Statistics
32109 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 679 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 684 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc