hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I'm screwed.. looks like may be allergic to toppik.. swelling and redness in my face
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/25/2010 03:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2010 03:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

So.. i've been having a few months of redness and swelling in my face.. i had no idea what it was. I started getting a bit dizzy and fatigue as well..

I thought it might be the toppik.. so i switched to nanogen which doesn't work as well. .and the side effects didn't go away. I used a topical steroid for a few days, which took it all way.. but all returned when I stopped the cream.

Just had an allergy test.. eggs, crab, my conditioner, nanogen, and toppik all tested positive.. I take it somewhat with a grain of salt.. because i never saw reactions from eggs or crab in the past..

I really pray its not the toppik, because i will go from having hair to being bald in a day if i have to stop this stuff.. and i've been using it for 6-7 years so its difficult for me to really believe this is the cause, but who knows.

My plan is to get on internal cortisone for the next few weeks, and see if it comes back after that.. i have a vacation abroad so i have no choice but to do this.. i will be dropping my conditioner as well which isn't a big deal, and avoiding eggs and crab at all costs

Other piece that could be causing this is that my mercury level came out pretty high (13) .. so i've stopped all fish consumption.

Anyone with similar issues please chime in..
 08/25/2010 03:41 PM

Author Icon
dogs3
Accomplished Poster

Rich didnt you say you were gonna order nanogen because the ingredients were different so you didnt think you'd react in the same way? Do you have any idea what ingredient in common they both share that may be giving you this reaction?
 08/25/2010 03:46 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

i did use nanogen... same effects.. the ingredients are all different EXCEPT for the keratin fibers (which seem much much bigger in nanogen).. I don't like the nanogen product. It does not hold as well and i don't think looks as natural.

Regardless.. if its fibres that i'm allergic to, i'm thoroughly *****ed.
 08/25/2010 03:47 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

It is also possible its from stress.. When I work out, have sex, or drink.. it tends to get much better or temporarily disappear.. which would suggest against an allergic reaction.
 08/25/2010 04:14 PM

Author Icon
chonger
Accomplished Poster

you should whack off w/ a drink in one hand...that should help w/ the stress.

chonger
 08/25/2010 05:28 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

haha.. masturbation doesn't work.. only sex
 08/26/2010 01:47 AM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Have you considered just giving the toppik a miss and just accepting your current hair loss situation. Once you have come clean about it you won't have to hide behind cosmetics any more. 6-7 years of hiding the truth is some weight on your shoulders.
 08/26/2010 08:30 AM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

I've considered it.. yes it is weighing heavily on me.. in the beginning, it was 1-2 shakes.. now its like 15-20+.. I am going to figure out what the allergy is.. if it is toppik, i expect to get a transplant before the year is up.
 08/26/2010 10:17 AM

Author Icon
daMan
Accomplished Poster

I'm at about 30 shakes.
 08/26/2010 04:51 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

well as long as you aren't seeing any adverse reactions, consider yourself lucky. I remember the days where i'd barely need any. I've come a long way .. Only thing that will free me at this point is an HT or a shaved head.. can't bring myself to do the latter.
 08/26/2010 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

Rich,

Do you hold your breath when you're applying that stuff?

I found I was heaving breathing problems from the hairspray I use. I probably

use as much as Porter Waggoner did, back in the day.

But now I hold my breath and I'm much better.

08/26/2010 07:38 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

i thought inhalation might be an issue.. i do feel a bit wheezy at times in the chest on it.. will try that.. thanks.
Statistics
31741 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1111 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1116 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc