hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can minoxidil make hair loss worse?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/04/2010 11:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2010 11:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hairhair
Occasional Poster

Hi,

First post here. My hair line has been retreating slowing for years now and I'm now 28 and a Norwood 2. I'm thinking of trying minoxidil but am dreading it. I've read it can cause terrible shedding and am concerned that this will make my loss even more obvious - I can still disguise it quite a bit at the moment.

But what really worries me is that if I shed terribly it may not grow back despite the claims surrounding the medicine. What I want to know is: there are those that minox works for; there are those that it doesn't do anything for; but are there some rare cases where it actually accelerates hair loss?

I don't want to start a regime that only makes things worse.

Oh, is cheapo min top any good as that's what I've bought. And, is a PM only application much use or do you really have to use the stuff twice daily to see any real affect?

I'm also taking finasteride.

08/04/2010 12:04 PM

Author Icon
hairtrouble
Accomplished Poster

Keep in mind that everyone responds differently, but minoxidil will inevitably cause an initial shed. Though you should gain it back. And there are some who will tell you that minoxidil was never proven to work on hairlines.
 08/04/2010 01:11 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Minxoidil has been studied 7 ways from Sunday, and to my knowlege has never been shown to accelerate hair loss in anyone.

-------------------------
NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 08/04/2010 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: hairtrouble

Keep in mind that everyone responds differently, but minoxidil will inevitably cause an initial shed.

I've certainly used minoxidil in the past, but (as I said in another thread) I've never experienced this "shedding" that other people talk about.
 08/04/2010 02:02 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

No sheds here either.

If fact, the only thing that makes me shed is not taking treatments.

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 08/04/2010 02:14 PM

Author Icon
hairtrouble
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Bryan
Originally posted by: hairtrouble Keep in mind that everyone responds differently, but minoxidil will inevitably cause an initial shed.
I've certainly used minoxidil in the past, but (as I said in another thread) I've never experienced this "shedding" that other people talk about.
Interesting. In my case, I started fin and minox at the same time so any initial shedding or thinning could have been from either.
 08/08/2010 09:45 AM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

Minoxidil causes shedding, but that doesn't mean the lost hair will return. Maybe the shed was from irritation and the minoxidil can't stimulate those follicles. I keep using it, but it doesn't seem to help me. Using it on my temples made the thinning area rapidly disappear.

"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
 08/08/2010 11:43 AM

Author Icon
hairykrishna
Accomplished Poster

Bryan, is it true that you no longer treat your hair loss and remain active on the HLH forums as a matter of scientific curiosity?

I now provide chemical testing to protect my bald(ing) brothers from being scammed over the internet. PM me if you are interested.
Statistics
31934 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 745 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 755 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc