hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: really low vitamin d levels
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2010 03:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2010 03:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thechris
Regular Poster

basically im 17 and been really depressed for the last 6-7 months, so much so that ive rarely left the house (only at night)(had bdd)

anyway i got my blood tested and it came back saying i had really low vitamin d levels and the doctor will have to give me supplements.

ive sort of accepted my hair loss, ive been shedding a lot and its getting worse but i dont really want to take propecia (even though i got the type of face that looks ugly with hair, will look much worse without) so why care im ugly eitherway woohay

anyway, i read on wiki that vitamin d is linked to thyroid or something, im not too knowledgeable on this but i'll keep you updated if my shedding slows down or something.

any input? thanks and have a good day/night.

01/19/2010 02:19 PM

Author Icon
thechris
Regular Poster

bump lol

01/19/2010 04:13 PM

Author Icon
wakebdr32
Accomplished Poster

Low vit D levels is quite common and the new buzz in health like Omega 3 fish oil supps. I had very low Vit D levels too and my doc put me on some D2 pills for 3 months to get my levels up. Not sure why D2 but it did kick my numbers way up.

Life Extension magazine had a pretty decent article lately on the rampant Vit D deficiency which may be found online easily. Bottom line, 1000 - 5000 IU day especially if you don't get much sun daily and increase your intake during the winter season will help you out. Not so sure your hair will see the difference, but there are quite a few other health reasons to be supplementing if a blood test shows your levels are low. I wouldn't get too excited on hair changes just with Vit D ...but it won't hurt and may help!!

Many superior Omega 3 fish oil capsules or liquids also contain D3 and Vit E. I take both highly refined fish oil (high EPA/DHA #'s most important) around 4g plus around 3000 IU of D3 daily for cholesterol/Triglyceride benefits at doc recommendation. I have absolutely seen benefits in my hair with adding this combo since my Triglyceride numbers were so high on blood tests.

BTW...My wife and kids have commented on how much thicker my hair has become since adding the above compared to last year....all while quitting FIN which I will never take again even tho a long time user! Just another piece in the hairloss one size fits none puzzle...

Just my experience so take it for what its worth.

-------------------------
44yr old veteran and still NW2. Give your treatment reasonable time, monitor your results and do your own diligence. Many will respond differently to treatment regardless funded Pharma studies and peddlers that speak in absolutes...
 01/19/2010 07:18 PM

Author Icon
JoeSpan

I was just told I had the same thing this past  summer. Low vitamine D levels. My primary doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist. She ran a blood test and told me to start taking a vitiamine D supliment. She also tested my Thyroid. Turns out I have an extreamly underactive Thyroid. Now about 5 years ago my hair started to thin. Two years my hair started growing really slow. I went from getting hair cuts every 3 months to once I year. Yea I know it sounds crazy. Turns out an underactive thyroid causes all kinds of problems..Slow hairgrowth, hairlose, thinning hair, insomnia, depression and other issue. I started on Thyroid medication in November and I'm feeling much better. Hopefully my hair will start to thicken up again. But than again I'm 36 and it could be genetics causing my thiness;  To make a long story short get your Thyroid checked too

01/19/2010 09:31 PM

Author Icon
Miki
Accomplished Poster

Go to an Endocrinologist and have your hormones checked. Tell the doc that you have a family history of thyroid issues (even if you don't) and tell him that your hair is suddenly shedding and you want everything checked out. Ensure you have a full thyroid test. This includes testing your T3 and T4 in addition to your TSH. If you can, try and have your DHT levels checked in addition to the standard Testosterone, Prolactin, Creatine, etc. Vitamin D3 deficiency can cause hair loss as well. It doesn't hurt to take a D3 supplement. I would recommend Ascenta NutraSea +D. It's a very high quality fish oil from Norway with 1000 IU of D3. It usually goes for about $20 for about 45 days supply. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://www.supplementscanada.c...t5093.html Checking your Iodine levels wouldn't be bad either, as this could cause hair loss as well.
 01/20/2010 07:54 AM

Author Icon
thechris
Regular Poster

thanks guys. I'm going to make sure 100% i get my thyroid tested. If I end up having a problem in my thyroid and it gets better, is there a chance my hair could thicken up and possibly some of it grow back (towards the top). 

I really appreciate all your advice, have a lovely day/night.

02/02/2010 09:02 PM

Author Icon
The Coop

GET A HAPPY LIGHT!!!!!

Mine is by Verilux, but any should do. I suffered from seasonal depression for years and now I cant even imagine living without it. I doubt it does anything for hair, but it simulates sun light which is supposed to help with vitamin D and it boosts your mood big time. Just 20 minutes every morning.

Statistics
31850 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 12 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1762 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1774 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc