hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: does ROGAINE actually grow significant hair? or is it just peach fuzz?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/24/2002 02:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/24/2002 02:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BrightNail
Prolific Poster

does rogaine actually GROW hair, or is it just peach fuzz or like cmm long hairs....

does it actually GROW REAL NORMAL HAIR???
 04/24/2002 04:14 PM

Author Icon
Jay Man
Regular Poster

Up until five years ago, I had been using nothing but 2% minox. I then upgraded to Dr. Lee's 5%. About 3 or 4 months after I started I was brushing my hair one day. I happened to look at the brush by chance and spotted a strange looking hair. One end of the hair was crinkled, thin, and white, about a half inch long, very sickly looking while the other end was dark brown and normal looking, about 3/4 of an inch long. That was pretty exciting at the time and maybe the more knowledgable people would know why that hair came out of my scalp but it was obvious to me that the stronger minox had stimulated at least one hair to grow.
 04/24/2002 04:30 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

The misconception is that there are different types of hair that you can grow out of the same follicle, ie normal hair or peach fuzz. The reality is that the type of hair that grows depends on the follicle. So if peach fuzz is coming out it means that the follicle has been miniaturized and damaged and it can ONLY grow fine peach fuzz.

Rogaine stimulates hair growth, the type of hair you can grow depends on the follicle itself.

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 04/24/2002 04:54 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

Farrel,
But, doesn't all hair that Minox induces to grow start off as vellus hairs (peach fuzz)? After three monthes of 5 % use I have noticed that my temples have filled back in with vellus hairs. Can I not expect the follicle to continue to "heal" and therefor turn these vellus hairs into dark terminal ones?

0.5 mg Dut
5% RU (MBPTreatments)
5% Minox
Dermaroller (EOD)
 04/24/2002 05:08 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

As the hair starts growing again it will cycle into thicker and darker hairs. But Rogaine will cause exisiting non-vellus hairs to grow even thicker. My point being that the hairs that start growing will be based on what the follicle can produce at the time it got stimulated to grow hair by Rogaine.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.

Edited: 04/24/2002 at 05:11 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 04/25/2002 09:53 AM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

does rogaine actually GROW hair, or is it just peach fuzz or like cmm long hairs....

does it actually GROW REAL NORMAL HAIR???

OF COURSE it can grow "real" hair! However, results can obviously vary among people, depending on the condition of their hair follicles at the start. For an example of some excellent regrowth in one guy who was a subject in one of the topical minoxidil studies, take a look at this photo which was published in a medical journal:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/minoxidil_growth.htm

Bryan
 04/25/2002 10:06 AM

Author Icon
Craig
Prolific Poster

Bryan I cant seem to get into that website address....can others confirm that they seen it or provide a link so we can click on it or something
 04/25/2002 10:09 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

Heres a link you can click http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/minoxidil_growth.htm

04/25/2002 10:25 AM

Author Icon
BrightNail
Prolific Poster

I wonder where that guy is now (the one in the link)?

I am curious to see where the "followup" is and if he has that much hair now...cause those pictures look old.
 04/25/2002 12:13 PM

Author Icon
NYCman
Accomplished Poster

fwiw I have been using Rogaine %5 for about 3-3 1/2 months.I'm pleased to say that the results have been very impressive(so far).Initially I had a horrible shed,to only have it grow back MUCH thicker.I just came back from the barber shop(where I can get a full front and back view).I couldn't believe how well the Rogaine filled in any slight thinning I had.My hair has never looked better.Mind you I have been on Propecia for 4 1/2 years(only 1mg perday on avg for the entire time).But I felt it was starting to lose it's potency.So I added a full on regimen(vitamins+%5 Rogaine)%5 Rogaine is working very well for me.

Edited: 04/28/2002 at 10:34 AM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
Statistics
31936 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 604 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 611 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc