hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Lamisil hair loss
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/17/2009 07:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2009 07:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

Hi all,

I have experienced a dramatic hair loss when using the medicine Lamisil (Terbinafine). I knew hairloss was listed as a possible side effect, but since it was considered as extremely rare, I took the chance. I wish I never did that...

I wanted to know if any of you have experienced significant hair loss when on Lamisil. If yes, my question is: do the hair regrow back entirely after stopping the drug? Or does it regrow only partially, or not at all? In which delay, within a couple of weeks, a couple fo months?

I have really thin hair, and I have been on Avodart a few years to maintain more or less my hairline. I was using Lamisil merely to treat toenail, so the hairloss is really due to the drug and not a scalp fungus infection. Thanks for your answers!

Frank
 10/19/2009 06:05 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

I forgot to say I was NW4 with diffuse hairloss and because of this f$*%ckig medicine I am now NW5. Hopting for some feedback on people taking Lamisil...
 10/19/2009 08:45 PM

Author Icon
MrMister
Accomplished Poster

What's your family history of hair loss? You don't know for sure if it's the Lamisil or if it's just your natural MPB speeding up.

I was on Lamisil for three months and I felt like my hairline starting thinning out more rapidly during that time. I didn't read until after I was off it that hair loss is a potential side effect. I went on Finasteride a few months after that and have been on it for three years I think. My hairline never fully recovered--maybe took another year for it to look a little better--but it still looks decent. I have no idea if it was due to Lamisil or not. But I think if you are predisposed to MPB, and something else causes hair loss, you're probably less likely to get it back.

All five of my toenails on one foot were absolutely trashed by fungus, so I really wanted to stick with the Lamisil. I'm glad I did because it completely got rid of some of the NASTIEST fungus I've ever seen. So, what I'm saying is, the stuff works and you won't fix your nails without it, but is that more important than possibly losing some hair? Only you can decide.
 10/20/2009 12:21 PM

Author Icon
tonyj
Occasional Poster

I would like to know to no more information on this as well. As far as I know that Terbinafine can cause reversable "Alopecia Areata" in some rare cases. I know, that's scary. My daughter was on it for several months and she developed AA.
 10/20/2009 05:02 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

Thanks for your answers. Yes I am pretty sure that my sudden hairloss was due to Lamisil: it is true that I have MPB, but I had stabilized it for the past 2 years, and exactly the month I take Lamisil my hair thinned out a lot and I noticed a significant change. That would be a strange coincidence. I was not even worried about this medication and have been in general very happy during this last month, so placebo and stress are also ruled out.

Anyway, I found this website
(http://www.askapatient.com/vie...rug=20192&name=LAMISIL )
and it s amazing: one third of the reported adverse side effects is about hair loss. I believe that people having a predisposition for hair loss are more sensitive to these effects, as for me I remembered having destroyed my hairline a couple of years ago with Roaccuttane. My hair never went back as it was before. This time it was not as bad, fortunately, I am hoping it will come back gradually, we ll see.

TonyJ, has your daughter regrown some hair already? It seems that for most people drug-related hairloss is reversible. Well, at least, that is what the pharmacy industry claims...and it seems not to be so good for people suffering MPB.

Good Luck
Frank
 10/20/2009 07:01 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

And indeed what happens to my hair is the following: I did not have so much shedding but all my hairs become extremely thin and fragile and go away if I touch them. I have seen some complaints of women about Lamisil saying that hair feels like "Cotton Candy", my hair is a bit on the same way. Did you guys experienced that? What about your daughter?
 10/21/2009 05:03 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

5 days off this shit Lamisil and already feeling way better.

My hair is not as thick as it was before taking Lamisil, but it already improved a lot. I really hope it will go on improving and go back to its initial stage (I mean before Lamisil, not when I was 16). The color of my hair has gone back to normal, whereas it was like washed out after only 11 days of Lamisil.

MrMister, indeed there are alternative local treatments for toenail fungus. Lamisil is like the radical option, the nuclear bomb you should consider using only when everything else has failed. Consider using, because side effects can be terrible, and one may think that they outweight the potential benefits. I can live with a fungus on my nail, but not without enjoying the taste of food for instance.

I have been on Dutasteride (Avodart) for 4 years now. My MD suggested to take an additional shot of Finasteride this month to counter the loss induced by the Lamisil. An other MD suggested to use Kerium anti-chute from LaRoche Prosay. This second thing sounds like crap to me, any feedback? What do you think?

My experience is that varying the doses of DHT inhibitor damage the hair in the end, even if the idea of a short term boom in hair grow is tempting. I am not sure if I just let the hair repair by itself and go on with Avodart only as before.

10/23/2009 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

Actually my hair has just worsened again after this first phase of partial regrowth which lasted 5 days. Has anybody experienced this oscillations after quitting Lamisil? Thanks for your help!
 10/23/2009 01:01 PM

Author Icon
justrich1976
Accomplished Poster

I would give it time, (the words we hate to hear most).

I know it sucks, believe me, I'm going to be 33 next month and I went on Accutane when I was 20 I believe, went through 5 months of treatment. Yes it cursed the cystic acne on my chin.

I didn't correlate the thinning hair to Accutane until about 2 years after. This is a known side effect NOW.

I don't regret taking it every medication has side effects especially ones that are so potent and long term like Accutane.

I believe you will get the hair back that you lost, you were only on it for a month, hair loss that comes out that way will come back. Usually medications won't show their damage until about 6 weeks AFTER starting, in a way this was the best case scenario, you got hair loss in the beginning.. now you stop it, let it regrow (can take up to 3 months).

Remember after a major surgery/ or long term medications that can cause hair loss, most of the time it's about 6 weeks later and we don't associate it with the drug we are taking.

My personal opinion <-- is to wait it out add the propecia when you truly need it. it seems like a clear cut case of a medication inducing hair loss, but not long enough to kill the follicle, just a shed.

Give it time, reason I say this is if you start propecia/proscar in addition you may suffer from shedding and you won't know what its from.

It's a good thing we can now check these side effects online. There is a drug out there Nexium that is doing serious damage to people, (same as Prilosec), it's never been tested past 6 months EVER. It clearly states medication should be taken for 6-8 weeks then stopped.

Every doctor I know gives refills like it's nothing, my MOM and sister took it for a few years.. the medication causes severe pain and cartilage damage (same site you went to askpatient). To their defense the makers of Nexium.. haven't studied it past 6 months because it's meant to be taken for 6-8 weeks for heartburn/ulcer.

They surely don't make it apparent nor care if a patient takes it for life, they're covered and we suffer the consequences.

Sometimes the most simple medication causes the most side effects.

Good luck,
Rich
 10/23/2009 07:09 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

As for my hair, I pray and I hope you are right. I was just exploring if anything could be done now to counter the side effects of Lamisil while they are on. I do not feel like abusing DHT inhibition, there is a risk that the side effects of Propecia and Avodart would increase and prevent me from using these products afterwards. And also the shock experienced by the follicles in the next month, when I will go back to usual DHT inhibition, could also potentially damage them. And finally I am not longing to get huge nipples :-) I am thinking about using La Roche Prosay Anti chute - a topical treatment - for 6 weeks to boost the follicles.

By the way, I also took Roacuttane a couple of years ago (2005), and it had a devastating effect on my hair. I took only 20mg for 3 days, supposedly to cure Seborrheic Dermatitis (which I learned after cannot be cured that way anyway, this could just have given to me a relief at best), and it killed most of my hair at that time...I would not regret it either if it had been intended to cure a devastating acne, but in my case it was just a reckless and useless risk, taken by an arrogant MD exploring new ways of curing dermatitis...

Also, I have now some intuition on how Lamisil causes hair loss: it inhibits an enzyme regulating squalene, so that lots of squalene accumulates into the fungus cell and asphixiate it. But squalene is also known to be an hair loss factor (P Flesch, Hair loss from squalene, Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology 76(4), 801 (1951) ), and (H Sobel ,J Marmorston, The Possible Role of Squalene as a Protective Agent in Sebum Cancer Res. 1956 Jul;16(6):500-3.). So, because of this drug I have huge amount of squalene hanging around my scalp and follicles, no wonder that my hair is way thinner. I could not find out for sure whether the loss is reversible, it seems to be the case for rats, but it kills some follicles anyway. I suppose follicles respond differently to an increase in squalene, that is why not anyone gets hairloss, mines don t like it for sure.

Anyway:
1) The manufacturer designed the drug so that it targets enzymes regulating enzymes in order for lots of squalene to be released in the body, accumulating near the fungus cell, but also near the scalp follicles.

2)Squalene is known to cause hair loss (as excess vitamin A for instance) in rats and human.

So when the manufacturers says that no obvious connection between the reported hair loss and the drug could be made, this is complete bullshit. A biology undergrad student could make this connection and propose experiments to explore it in more detail.

By the way Squalene is also involved in lots of anti swine flue vaccines, sold around the world, which may also cause hair loss too.

Well I was a bit long...

Edited: 10/24/2009 at 11:32 AM by Frank0009
 10/25/2009 04:23 AM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

Anyone else having had hair loss problems with Lamisil? Does it regrow afterwards?
 10/25/2009 08:23 AM

Author Icon
jeffwode
Prolific Poster

stress takes around 3 months to have an impact apparently - so being happy this month isn't really that relevant as far as i know
 10/25/2009 09:07 AM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

How long on Lamisil before you noticed increased hair loss?

-------------------------
"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
 10/25/2009 01:13 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

I have been on Lamisil for 12 days before I noticed a significant hairloss. Then I quit the treatment immediately. Before I saw some loss but I thought it was just regular MPB, and it was also partially hidden with long hairs, and I did not associate it with the drug. It is only when I did a haircut that I realized the real extent of the damage...From "reasonable hair on the top" I went to "a little bit of hair left on the top", if you know what I mean. The month before I went out of the haircut so happy to see there was still plenty of hair left there. This month I went out really depressed.

The stress of last month is not relevant, that s true, but I was not stressed before either: I was basically enjoying some nice vacations during two months. My point is that the hairloss was really induced by the drug Lamisil. The last confirmation of this came when I saw a noticeable amelioration in my hair condition (color especially and also thickness of individuals hair) only five days after quitting the drug.

I am really longing to hear from further testimonies of hair loss with Lamisil in order to evaluate the chances of my hair coming back. Failure and success stories identically welcome... Thanks!

Edited: 10/25/2009 at 02:10 PM by Frank0009
 10/28/2009 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

I found a relevant publication in the scientific litterature [1]. These belgium MD reported occurence of hairloss in a female patient treated for toenail infection. They also reported a drastic improvement of the hair two months only after quitting the drug, leading to complete reversal of hair loss 6 months after.

Following their proper terms, the timing of the hairloss and of the recovery process "are highly suggestive of a causal relationship between hairloss and the Terbinafine treatment". They also state that, according to official French scientific standards on drug safety, this would be considered as sufficient evidence for hairloss to be listed as a side effect of Terbinafine (Lamisil). They only tempered their judgement by acknowleding that few cases were reported so far in the litterature (only in [2] it seems).

This is an other example of the dishonesty of the drug industry. While it is stated in the specialized scientific litterature that "hairloss is very likely to be a side effect of the drug", the drug notice says that "no relationship between the reported hairloss and Terbinafine could be established". Well it may not be a lie, but it is rather close to it.

My lesson is: if you suffer from hair loss and if you see hair loss as a side effect on any drug, even if the notice mentions that it is extremely rare, unproven, unlikely to happen to you: RUN AWAY from the drug. Unless this specific drug is your only option to treat something more serious than hairloss: take the drug then, but keep in mind that hair loss will probably happen to you.

[1]Richert B, Uhoda I, De la Brassinne M., Hair loss after terbinafine treatment, Br J Dermatol. 145(5):842 (2001).

[2] Del Palacio Hernanz A, Lopez Gomez S, Gonzalez Lastra F et al. A comparative double-blind study of terbinafine (Lamisil) in tinea corporis and tinea cruris. Clin Exp Dermatol 1990; 15: 210±6.

Edited: 10/28/2009 at 11:06 AM by Frank0009
 11/08/2009 04:40 AM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

3 week after quitting Lamisil (Terbinafine).

I will post how it goes, just in case other people suffering from hair loss caused by Lamisil would like to know if their hair will probably regrow or not. This pages comes out when googling Lamisil hair loss.

Hair loss has been stopped with the help of a cosmetic product -La Roche Posay antichute -. But I am still waiting for regrowth. Guess I will have to wait at least one more month to get significant results. Guess I need to wait that squalene clears up in the body, as well as give time to the follicles to build new hair.

Do not hesitate to post your experience on loosing hair with Lamisil here.
 11/17/2009 03:50 PM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

4 weeks after quitting Lamisil: some regrowth, hair looking cosmetically better. Happy hair days.

5 weeks after quitting Lamisil: big shed again, hair looking worse than at the end of 3 weeks, almost as bad as at day one after quitting Lamisil. Loosing hair again, hair line way behind where it was before taking the drug.

I have oscillations in the looking of my hair, but my hairline has unfortunately receeded a LOT.

I ll keep on posting on how it goes in the long run. Hope that it will improve and that Lamisil hair loss will be reversed.

Do NOT take Lamisil, and have a nice day.
 12/10/2009 05:26 AM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

8 weeks after quitting Lamisil.

Hair loss definitely slowed down. But only little regrowth compared to when quitting Lamisil on day one. At week 4 regrowth was more important.

Strong improvement in the cosmetic of the hair compared to day one. Remaining hairs are way healthier than when quitting Lamisil, even the hair cutter noticed it right away without any mention from my part on anything. This is beyond any doubt mostly due to stopping Lamisil, but maybe the product antichute from La Roche Posay also helped in that respect.

Avoid Lamisil, and enjoy your day.

01/13/2010 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Frank0009
Occasional Poster

3 months after quitting Lamisil, and using AntiChute La Roche Posay.

Partial regrowth only in my case. My advice: do NOT use Lamisil if you already have hair loss.

Other options exist for toenail fungus. The side effects of Lamisil are scandalously under estimated.

01/13/2010 09:54 PM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

Many medications have underpublicized side effects. I'm glad you are getting some regrowth, and maybe more will happen over the next few months.

I don't agree that there are other viable options, at least not around here. I tried a few different topicals first. They never got rid of the problem. In the USA, laser treatment is not approved yet, leaving it out-of-pocket and very expensive for multiple toes. But usually there is no need to get rid of the fungus, just control it. (I'm in the minority category - it has caused me recurring structural damage.)

My advice is to be very cautious using Lamisil if - unlike me, as far I can tell and have been told - large areas of hair are miniaturizing.

-------------------------
"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Lamisil hair loss

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
31879 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 11 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1306 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1317 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc