hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Fish oil cause hair loss?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/31/2009 04:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/31/2009 04:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thyroids
Accomplished Poster

I read some people notice more hair loss while taking fish oil?

I really want to take fish oil for its many benefits but am afraid it may harm my hair?

Does anyone notice an increase in hair loss while taking fish oil, especially those not on fin or dut?

Thx!
 08/31/2009 05:12 PM

Author Icon
el_duterino
Accomplished Poster

Fish oil won't cause hairloss..Even Motor oil won't cause hairloss

Nutrition won't cause hairloss..unless you are severly malnourished ,and even then..you'd have other bigger problems well before hair starts falling

-------------------------
FIN (1998 to 2004)
DUT (2004-2008)
DUT + Flutamide & Fluridil (2008)
DUT + RU (end 2008)
RU only (20mg to 400mg/day 2009-2011)
RU+Minox (2011- 2013)

At present:
-RU 20 mg/day (mixed to Neogenic)
-Neogenic (3ml)
-Minox foam
 08/31/2009 05:41 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

As far as I'm concerned Fish Oil is good for your hair, not bad. It also helps a lot if you have an itchy scalp.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 08/31/2009 05:43 PM

Author Icon
AndyR300
Occasional Poster

I haven't really thought of that. In retrospect of the time that I've taken it, it has a decent chance of why my hair loss has accelerated.

Not going to stop taking it YET. It has improved my mood greatly during its use. I might switch over to flaxseed oil, although I don't know if it will have the same effects on my mood, and supposed hair loss.
 08/31/2009 05:56 PM

Author Icon
Thyroids
Accomplished Poster

Hmm ok thanks..

I would not take flax seed oil, studies show high ALA diets lead to prostate cancer. It's the reason why I stopped.
 08/31/2009 06:44 PM

Author Icon
Calvin 2.0
Accomplished Poster

Omega fish oil gelcaps have slightly helped my hair if anything.

I didn't feel anything from Omega#3s alone, but I could feel a slight difference when I started loading up on the 3/6/9 ones.

09/01/2009 07:50 AM

Author Icon
Heretohelp82
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Thyroids

Hmm ok thanks..

I would not take flax seed oil, studies show high ALA diets lead to prostate cancer. It's the reason why I stopped.

Dude, Flax seed oil and Fish oil both HELP your hair. You should look into other reasons for increased shedding.
 09/01/2009 09:08 AM

Author Icon
Thyroids
Accomplished Poster

I didn't say flax oil caused shedding, i said it could cause prostate cancer due to high ALA in it.
 09/01/2009 06:04 PM

Author Icon
nyhair19
Accomplished Poster

Fish oils 3/6/9 are generally helpful for your hair.

Jan 08 - Present
Fin 1mg/daily, .5mg 1-2x/week (Aug 13), 1/mg daily (14)
Minox 5% (Oct 11)
Pygeum, Nettle Root, SawP 2x, Fish oil, Peppermint Tea
Tricomin/Folligen
Hair Cycle Shampoo(08-11), Niz, Regenepure(2011)
Contemplating RU (Aug 14)
 09/01/2009 06:13 PM

Author Icon
Midnight Joey

Fish oils 3/6/9 are generally helpful for your hair.

helpful for growth or for that shine?
 09/01/2009 07:54 PM

Author Icon
danmrtini
Prolific Poster

Helpful for inflammation and nutrition if they are fresh. If they are rancid or oxidized, they can boost free radicals--inflammation--hairloss. Make sure your caps are fresh and put them in the fridge. Krill Oil is the best thing going because it is more powerful than fish oil and contains antioxidants from the seaweed the Krill eat. It is part of the IH regimen. Hairloss is more than just DHT. If your really interested in the underlying factors [L=ImmortalHair]http://www.immortalhair.org/

09/02/2009 03:12 PM

Author Icon
wakebdr32
Accomplished Poster

My doc just told me today to take at least 4 grams of high quality Omega3 /day.
I have very high triglyceride and cholesterol thanks to my family genetics...as I'm in good shape and not overweight and eat healthy. Crap, more tests tomorrow to see if I now have to take Lipitor or some other meds...

I'll report if I notice any diff in my hair and daily fall out.

44yr old veteran and still NW2. Give your treatment reasonable time, monitor your results and do your own diligence. Many will respond differently to treatment regardless funded Pharma studies and peddlers that speak in absolutes...
 09/02/2009 03:30 PM

Author Icon
madclown
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: wakebdr32

My doc just told me today to take at least 4 grams of high quality Omega3 /day.

I have very high triglyceride and cholesterol thanks to my family genetics...as I'm in good shape and not overweight and eat healthy. Crap, more tests tomorrow to see if I now have to take Lipitor or some other meds...

I'll report if I notice any diff in my hair and daily fall out.

Wakebdr32 -- did you ever, or are you currently taking Finasteride?

Statis are bad news for some people... reports of cases of muscle damage and rarely, ALS (fatal neurodegenerative disease).

http://www.clarionledger.com/a...of-statin-medications

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/581181

http://www.alsforums.com/forum...ateral-sclerosis.html
http://www.spacedoc.net/ALS_statins.html
 09/02/2009 04:18 PM

Author Icon
wakebdr32
Accomplished Poster

MC:
yep, over ten years on Fin. Right now I only take ~.625 mg/Proscar in the AM.

The doc said the first thing he would put me on if my tests weren't a fluke is Fenofibrate meds to get me back in the green. Hope he does a liver profile and stuff first as more sides would really suck.

44yr old veteran and still NW2. Give your treatment reasonable time, monitor your results and do your own diligence. Many will respond differently to treatment regardless funded Pharma studies and peddlers that speak in absolutes...
 09/02/2009 04:34 PM

Author Icon
madclown
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: wakebdr32

MC:

yep, over ten years on Fin. Right now I only take ~.625 mg/Proscar in the AM.

The doc said the first thing he would put me on if my tests weren't a fluke is Fenofibrate meds to get me back in the green. Hope he does a liver profile and stuff first as more sides would really suck.

Wakebrdr32, I would SERIOUSLY consider at least taking a break from Finasteride, getting retested in a few weeks/month, and seeing if that fixes your cholesterol situation.

Pls read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/si...0996351&dopt=Citation

Changes in HDL-cholesterol and lipoprotein Lp(a) after 6-month treatment with finasteride in males affected by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
---------

Androgen effects on lipoproteins, mainly high density lipoprotein (HDL), could be exerted by a direct interaction of testosterone (T) or dihydrotestosterone (DHT) with liver androgen receptors.

To assess if T needs to be converted into DHT to affect lipid metabolism, 13 patients were studied, affected with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and treated with an inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase (finasteride). They were compared with 15 untreated controls.

At baseline and after 3 and 6 months of therapy, each patient was evaluated as for lipoprotein and hormone concentrations, as well as for nutritional status. Body composition was assessed by anthropometry and bio-impedance analysis (BIA).

Treatment was associated with a significant increase of HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C), mainly HDL3 subclass, and lipoprotein(a) (Lp(a)), as well as a decline of DHT, whereas no significant changes were apparent for T, estradiol (E2), sex hormone binding hormone (SHBG) and body composition indexes.

However, no significant associations between DHT and lipid relative changes were apparent at bivariate correlation analysis. This finding was confirmed by comparing patient subsets identified by cluster analysis, according to HDL subclass individual responses.

Rather, a slight association with E2 for HDL2 (positive) and HDL3 (negative) was found. In conclusion, finasteride can modify HDL and Lp(a) concentrations.

However, by the data, these effects cannot be definitively attributed to the changes in DHT synthesis induced by finasteride, since a direct and non-specific interference of the drug on liver metabolism cannot be excluded.
 09/02/2009 04:57 PM

Author Icon
underpressure
Accomplished Poster

are you really supposed to refrigerate fish oil softgels?
 09/02/2009 05:41 PM

Author Icon
danmrtini
Prolific Poster

It is a good idea after opening a bottle to prevent them from going bad.

09/02/2009 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Mulle
Regular Poster

Edited: 03/18/2011 at 09:04 AM by Mulle
 09/02/2009 07:27 PM

Author Icon
danmrtini
Prolific Poster

Fresh fish oil provides good Omega 3s. Bad fish oil or fish oil that has been exposed to too much oxygen will decompose and instead of helping you will do the opposite.

Chill

09/03/2009 08:19 AM

Author Icon
Heretohelp82
Regular Poster

As long as you take them before the expiration date on the bottle you'll be fine. You also don't need to refrigerate them. Unless there are some extreme circumstances like you have them directly under a light all day, every day, or they're in excessive heat or something peculiar, then you might want to move them or put them in the fridge. But if you just have them in a drawer somewhere or in a cabinet - it's fine. No where does it recommend that you put it into the fridge, that's just people being paranoid.
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Fish oil cause hair loss?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
32109 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 578 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 583 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc