hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ambien, causes hair loss?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/23/2009 02:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2009 02:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
riloal
Regular Poster

Hi i want to know if ambien (which it,s a sleeping pill, derivative benzodiazipines), can cause hair loss? Anyone is taking it? Thanks
 08/23/2009 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Cpt. Kirk
Regular Poster

Google Ambien CR and Hair Loss. It's all right there.
 08/23/2009 03:51 PM

Author Icon
Cue Bald
Prolific Poster

according to the lit it can.
never had any loss from benzo's myself.
 08/23/2009 04:08 PM

Author Icon
jeffdom1978
Regular Poster

I was trying to find out the same thing for awhile.. I am 31 and just started diffuse thinning on top and my family there is no MPB on either side..

Ive developed lots of issues with insomnia, so Ive been on either Ambien or other Benzos for last 3 years.. I just started noticing my hair loss and my doc says its probably just MPB,

I just cant sacrifice not sleeping for 6 months to see if i grow back any hair... I may look at the new drug that DEAN brought up in that other thread.

-------------------------
Currently Regimen:

- Spiro 2% Lotion
- Nano Shampoo
- Nizoral

On Order:

Eucapil (Fluridil) 3 months supply
RU 58841

Oral:
Biotin 5mg
Hair/Nails Multi-vitamin
LE Tocotrienols
Apple Cider Vinegar
 08/23/2009 05:33 PM

Author Icon
justrich1976
Accomplished Poster

I highly doubt ambien will CAUSE your hair loss.

MPB is the cause. Ambien can add to more hair loss, but not the DIRECT cause.

What I mean is a person who has NO MPB wouldn't suffer hair loss.

Same for acne and such, you're system is pre-disposed to these conditions, foods and certain topical medication can "add to it".

I used ambien for many years. Oddly I dropped it once it went generic because the generic is NOT even close to the name brand. I would say UNISOM is more potent than generic ambien.

Generic ambien is like $9. The only problem one will have is withdrawl and that will take a few days to get out of the system.

Ambien is a QUICK acting drug, in fact (the name brand) if you take it and DON'T fall asleep.. within an hour.. you probably WON'T fall asleep, the magis in ambien is it's a hypnotic so you feel good even if you cannot fall asleep.

Unisom and the others, you take it and cannot sleep you feel like dog shit the whole night.

Ambien leaves the system way too quick to cause much harm.

Now Ambien CR is a different story, 4 hours are released immediately, the other half are slowly released.

Now big problem here is the same problem with the OTC sleeping meds, is that with ambien cr if you still cannot sleep and stay awake you will feel like crap.

Easiest way around this is by BREAKING the Ambien CR in 1/2 and it becomes "Immediate release ambien".

Generic Ambien is pure garbage, not even worth the $9 they're asking.

Now benzos last a lot longer KLONPIN and Xanax .. Klonopin being the worst as it's half life is about 30 hours.

Ativan seems to be the safest out of the 3. Due to long half life, Klonopin is usually the drug of choice (for benzos) then Xanax.

I would worry more about the benzos for hair loss than ambien.
Statistics
32112 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 743 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 751 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc