hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BRYAN...DOES PROXIPHEN-N HAVE TEMPO & PBN?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/02/2009 11:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2009 11:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HAIRLOSSMILITANT
Regular Poster

Hi Bryan,

I've been using Proxiphen and proxiphen-N for half a year now. Good results overall but hairline still receding. But I have question on the ingredients.

I'm already getting minox, spiro, and retin-a from other sources so can I just use proxiphen-N on its own? I'm wondering if proxiphen-N has TEMPO & PBN? It does not say on Dr.Proctor's website. As for PHENYTOIN, I'm pretty sure proxiphen-N doesn't have it because its a prescription drug.

So in short:

Is it ok to just use proxiphen-N if I'm already getting minox, spiro, and retin-a from other sources?

Thanks...

-------------------------
My updated regimen is:
(topicals always applied to damp hair)

Morning Topical:
Corvinex (without the minox)
Promox foam

Evening Topical:
Tricomin
(with added the new Folligen Hair Signals at hairline)
Xandrox 15

Nighttime Topical:
Proxiphen-N
Crinagen

Laser Comb 2 X per week at hairline & temples only

Shampoo:
Revita
NANO
Nizoral
Nisim
 05/03/2009 04:24 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Dr. Proctor has stated in posts that Prox-N has TEMPO/TEMPOL and/or PBN, although I imagine that you probably don't get as much of them as when you use Proxiphen.

BTW, he doesn't seem to think that minoxidil is even very important in Proxiphen, and _I_ don't think that spiro is all that important, and it's known that he's reduced the Retin-A in Proxiphen to negligible levels; so I think your idea of using Prox-N instead of Proxiphen is fairly reasonable, especially if you have other sources for the other drugs!

No, phenytoin isn't in Prox-N, because it's a prescripion drug.
 05/03/2009 11:43 PM

Author Icon
HAIRLOSSMILITANT
Regular Poster

Hi Bryan,

Cool! Thanks for your reply.

So in short, the main ingredients that Proxiphen-N is missing compared to Proxiphen are:

Minoxidil
Spiro
Retin-A
Phenytoin

And you said the TEMPO/TEMPOL and/or PBN might be a little less.

I think the switch is worth the reduced cost and also the liquid in Proxiphen-N is much easier to apply! Also, considering I already get most of the other stuff from other topicals.

Thanks again...

My updated regimen is:

Morning Topical:
Promox foam

Evening Topical:
Tricomin
Xandrox 15

Nighttime Topical:
Proxiphen-N
Crinagen

Shampoo:
Revita
NANO
Nizoral
Nisim
 05/04/2009 06:34 AM

Author Icon
Twister
Accomplished Poster

Can i ask, where do you source ure Phenytoin from ? I jw

Generic Dut

Generic Foam

Generic Niz
 05/04/2009 01:53 PM

Author Icon
pproctor
Regular Poster

PROX-N has PBN as well as its active hydrolysis products NtBHA/MNP *. It also includes TEMPOL and TEMPO.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

* See: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/...X=0&resourcetype=HWCIT
 09/10/2010 06:01 AM

Author Icon
HAIRLOSSMILITANT
Regular Poster

Hi Guys,

Could someone explain in plain English the findings of the file attached by Dr.Proctor?
So is this chemical basicly reducing free radicals that are attacking hair follicles or what??
In short, what is the science backing this chemical in treating hairloss...

Thanks...

My updated regimen is:

Morning Topical:
Promox foam

Evening Topical:
Tricomin
Xandrox 15

Nighttime Topical:
Proxiphen-N
Crinagen

Shampoo:
Revita
NANO
Nizoral
Nisim
 09/10/2010 09:55 AM

Author Icon
StandStrong
Accomplished Poster

I think I remember Bryan saying that TEMPO and TEMPOL and PBN are like supercharged SODases.
 09/10/2010 10:07 AM

Author Icon
JohnDavid45
Accomplished Poster

For what it's worth, you can purchase generics of Proctor's products in the link below. Although, there's been some concern over whether these products contain the same amount of active ingredients.

http://www.betterlife.com/brand.asp?brand_id=652

Originally posted by: Twister

Can i ask, where do you source ure Phenytoin from ? I jw

Any online pharmacy sells phen.

United Pharmacy: http://www.unitedpharmacies.co...p?substring=Phenytoin

InHouse: http://www.inhousepharmacy.com...logical/dilantin.html

A while back, a few of us forum members were mixing phen in our minox. I had to stop due to sides, although the sides might have been the culprit of other topicals. I've been dinking around with the idea of re-introducing phen into my regimen once again.

-5% Spiro Cream (daily)
-Prox-N (daily)
-5% Minox with phen (daily)
-NANO Shampoo (3/weekly)
-Nizoral (3/weekly)
-Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo [Piroctone Olamine] (1/weekly)
 09/10/2010 01:17 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: StandStrong

I think I remember Bryan saying that TEMPO and TEMPOL and PBN are like supercharged SODases.

Exactly. By the way, from a phone conversation I had with Donna Proctor several years ago, Dr. Proctor seems to think those are the most effective ingredients of all in Proxiphen/Prox-N.
 03/06/2011 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Kontantinopoli
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: pproctor

PROX-N has PBN as well as its active hydrolysis products NtBHA/MNP *. It also includes TEMPOL and TEMPO.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

* See: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/...X=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

I have a bottle of prox-n and looking at the ingredients list I can't see neither PBN nor TEMPO(L) listed. How come?

03/06/2011 01:05 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Bryan

Originally posted by: StandStrong

Exactly. By the way, from a phone conversation I had with Donna Proctor several years ago, Dr. Proctor seems to think those are the most effective ingredients of all in Proxiphen/Prox-N.

Do you believe that?

Do you have any reason to believe "supercharged SODases" will "maintain" hair on the long-term scale?

NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 03/06/2011 02:12 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Kontantinopoli

I have a bottle of prox-n and looking at the ingredients list I can't see neither PBN nor TEMPO(L) listed. How come?

Trust me on this: both Proxiphen and Prox-N contain mysterious ingredients whose identities have never been fully disclosed, either on their respective labels, or on hairloss discussion forums!
 03/06/2011 02:25 PM

Author Icon
NegativeNorwood
Accomplished Poster

I wonder if the FDA knows about these mysterious ingredients that aren't disclosed. Maybe it's just me, but I like to know what ingredients are going in to my body before purchasing a product.
 03/06/2011 02:27 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

Do you believe that?

I have no reason not to believe what she told me.

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

Do you have any reason to believe "supercharged SODases" will "maintain" hair on the long-term scale?

As you may remember, the really long-term effect of a product like Proxiphen, with its very specialized (and often classified!) ingredients is something I've wondered about for a long time, and I'm certainly hoping that it will maintain hair for a long time. If Dr. Proctor is correct when he says that nitric oxide is the switch that turns ON hair growth, while superoxide is the switch that turns it OFF, maybe Proxiphen really will do that long-term, considering all the powerful nitric oxide agonists and SODs that it has.
 03/06/2011 02:36 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: NegativeNorwood

I wonder if the FDA knows about these mysterious ingredients that aren't disclosed. Maybe it's just me, but I like to know what ingredients are going in to my body before purchasing a product.

As I've mentioned in another thread, Dr. Proctor said in a post on alt.baldspot that the FDA _has_ looked at Proxiphen in the past, and had no objection to it at that time.
 03/06/2011 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Only Natural
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: NegativeNorwood

As I've mentioned in another thread, Dr. Proctor said in a post on alt.baldspot that the FDA _has_ looked at Proxiphen in the past, and had no objection to it at that time.

As I've mentioned in another thread..I wouldn't trust or believe anything Dr. Proctor says.

I'm glad this thread got bumped up...it's another issue I had forgotten about. "Mysterious" ingreds? More BS from Dr. P or he's supposed to be disclosing the ingredients. I'm sure Dr. P told the FDA about the missing ingredients. Right.....

Topicals: Dermatopoietin Hair Protection System
DermaHeal
Pristeen Nanolipo-hGH

Shampoo: Bioclin Phydrium Advance
Pristeen

Other: Kerastase Biotic
Nanofibrin
 03/06/2011 04:09 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

I just don't buy it off hand.

I'll concede that TEMPO, NANO, PBM, Pixie Dust, and Angel Tears may be growth stims, despite the lack of placebo controlled clinical evidence, but for me the assumption that it will slow the balding process -- after the regrowth -- in the long term is just one bridge too far.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

03/06/2011 05:06 PM

Author Icon
wildriff
Accomplished Poster

I don't think it's justified for Proctor to hide the ingredients on murky grounds of confidentiality, yet claim that it's ok because the FDA supposedly looked at it at once point. If he has to, he can patent it or seek other kinds of protection, but you cannot sell a drug with unknown ingredients to the users, plain and simple. I imagine there must be some kind of law against this, no?

It's like if a pharmaceutical came out with a hair loss drug, but said, "We can't tell you what the active ingredient is because we wouldn't want those pesky generics to copy us! But just go ahead and swallow the pill, take our word for it - it works AND is safe!". It's a crock.
 03/06/2011 06:00 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Dr. P can basically do whatever he wants. He's a private businessman, and whatever you feel about the "intellectual property debate", he has the right to sell Prox (IMHO).

In turn, I have the right to be skeptical of anything in Prox that has little or equivocal clinical backing.

That still leaves Spiro, SODs, Minox, Phenytoin...

Don't get me wrong, I still think Dr. P has most efficacious product -- with the worst website -- available to a man with AGA (aside from 5ar inhibitors).

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

03/06/2011 08:27 PM

Author Icon
Only Natural
Accomplished Poster

There is absolutely no evidence that Dr. P has the most efficacious product out there..either on paper or on anybody's head. Making the claims he makes and making it sound like it's going for FDA approval..is pathetic. Didn't mention the website again because you already did

I'm almost positive one has to disclose what is in a product when selling it..you can't just do what you want. In fact..wasn't there a company or two selling "all natural" products that got in trouble because the product(s) actually contained minox?

Topicals: Dermatopoietin Hair Protection System
DermaHeal
Pristeen Nanolipo-hGH

Shampoo: Bioclin Phydrium Advance
Pristeen

Other: Kerastase Biotic
Nanofibrin
Statistics
36282 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 236 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 236 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc