hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Nizoral vs. Dandrene
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/14/2009 12:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/14/2009 12:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

The keto in Nizoral grows hair for me, but niz is harsh on my hair.

Has anyone tried Dandrene? (by divine skin, the makers of Revita)

This shampoo also has 1% keto in it. RC

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician and my posts and opinions are not medical advice, and you are reading my opinions at your own risk. You should consult a physician before seeking treatment for any condition.

Regimen - http://tinyurl.com/3b5nqxh
 04/14/2009 02:49 PM

Author Icon
curer
Regular Poster

if nizoral is harsh for your hair then you can use Revita. i tried it, it was very gentle on the hair however i dint like how my hair look when i used it. i like how my hair look when i use nizoral 2% but if nizoral 1% is harsh for your hair then you will like Revita.
 04/14/2009 09:21 PM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

Thanks curer. Actually I tried Revita in the past, and was even growing some hair using it (light wispy hairs on hairline). But ultimatley I dropped it because it completely altered my hair texture and made it flat, squiggly, limp, and unruly. I had to use other shampoos for several days in a row to reverse the effects of Revita on my hair. Another problem with Revita is the caffeine - I'm very sensitive to caffeine and I know I absorb it because I can feel the effects if I leave the shampoo in too long.

I just ordered some Dandrene; if it doesn't work, I may work Revita in just once a week and leave it on for ~2 minutes, and use Niz the other 2 times/week. RC

Disclaimer - I am not a physician and my posts and opinions are not medical advice, and you are reading my opinions at your own risk. You should consult a physician before seeking treatment for any condition.

04/14/2009 09:30 PM

Author Icon
nyhair19
Accomplished Poster

Does Revita and Dandrene have the same effect as Nizoral? I know in a study with Niz 2%, they showed that upon like 6 months of use it did help regrow hair. Is this the case with Revita and Dandrene as well?

Jan 08 - Present
Fin 1mg/daily, .5mg 1-2x/week (Aug 13)
Minox 5% (Oct 11)
Pygeum, Nettle Root, SawP 2x, Fish oil 3,6,9, Peppermint Tea, other vits
Tricomin/Folligen
Hair Cycle Shampoo(08-11), Niz, Regenepure(11)
 04/15/2009 06:17 AM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

Both revita and dandrene have 1% keto.

Many have found a 1% concentration of keto sufficient for their needs. For eg, I use 1% (not 2%) nizoral and have regrown hair while using it.

Thus, I would expect revita and dandrene to have at least the same benefit for me as 1% nizoral. Revita and dandrene may be more effective because they contain other ingredients to attack inflammation and/or MPB from other angles.

I always underestimated the benefits of a shampoo, but am still shocked to have visibly regrown hair while using Nizoral (on 2 different occasions, I had stopped using Niz inb/t b/c it was harsh on my hair). If I can find a mild keto shampoo, I'll be content. Dandrene may do the trick. I'll report back once I receive and use it. RC

04/15/2009 10:12 AM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

As a follow-up, Revita and Dandrene both contain 1% keto, and the study showing that keto fights MPB also used a 1% concentration, not a 2% concentration:

Nudging hair shedding by antidandruff shampoos. A comparison of 1% ketoconazole, 1% piroctone olamine and 1% zinc pyrithione formulations.

Original Articles

International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 24(5):249-256, October 2002.
Pierard-Franchimont, C.; Goffin, V.; Henry, F.; Uhoda, I.; Braham, C.; Pierard, G. E.
Abstract:
Synopsis: Hair shedding and hair thinning have been reported to be affected by dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis. The present study was conducted in 150 men presenting with telogen effluvium related to androgenic alopecia associated with dandruff. They were randomly allocated to three groups receiving each one of the three shampoos in the market containing either 1% ketoconazole (KTZ), 1% piroctone olamine (PTO) or 1% zinc pyrithione (ZPT). Shampoos had to be used 2-3 times a week for 6 months. Hair shedding during shampoo was evaluated semiquantitatively. Hair density on the vertex was evaluated on photographs using a Dermaphot. Trichograms were used for determining the anagen hair percentage and the mean proximal hair shaft diameter using computerized image analysis. The sebum excretion rate (SER, [mu]g cm-2 h-1) was also measured using a Sebumeter(R).

The three treatments cleared pruritus and dandruff rapidly. At end point, hair density was unchanged, although hair shedding was decreased (KTZ: -17.3%, PTO: -16.5%, ZPT: -10.1%) and the anagen hair percentage was increased (KTZ: 4.9%, PTO: 7.9%, ZPT: 6.8%). The effect on the mean hair shaft diameter was contrasted between the three groups of volunteers (KTZ: 5.4%, PTO: 7.7%, ZPT: -2.2%). In conclusion, telogen effluvium was controlled by KTZ, PTO and ZPT shampoos at 1% concentration. In addition, KTZ and PTO increased the mean hair shaft thickness while discretely decreasing the sebum output at the skin surface.

(C) 2002 Blackwell Science Ltd.

04/24/2009 04:41 AM

Author Icon
RC
Accomplished Poster

I'd like to use keto 3x/week, but Niz may be too harsh on my hair. I tried Dandrene, but the salicylic acid in Dandrene is too harsh on my *scalp* (although the shampoo is not so bad on my hair). I may just end up using Revita 1x/week for the keto benefits. I know that frequent use of revita leaves my hair limp, but if I use Niz 2x/week and Revita 1x/week, the Niz should take care of any residue left over by Revita.

I may use a salicylic acid Piroctone Olamine shampoo and/or Nano on my non-keto shampoo days. RC

01/10/2011 09:22 AM

Author Icon
talljerry
Occasional Poster

every time I stop using Dandrene my hair starts to fall out Ido not know why
 01/10/2011 11:11 AM

Author Icon
Bizmarkie
Occasional Poster

so what do you guys reccomend? starting on Niz 1% and then try Revita if it is too harsh, use just Revita or a combination of the two. Really appreciate your input
Statistics
31470 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 792 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 799 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc