hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Proxiphen Questions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2009 05:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2009 05:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PhillipM468
Regular Poster

Hey guys, I've got some questions about Proxiphen that have been bothering me recently, and i was hopping you guys could shed some light. One thing that's really got me stumped is how in the world does Dr.Proctor combine Minoxidil and spiro together in the same solution? Does it have to do with the way both are suspended in his solution or maybe at smaller dosages minox doesn't interact/degrade spiro to any appreciable extent? Now I'm sure this is probably secret or something but I'd love to know. Another question i had is about the amount he recommends using; I think its 8-10 drops a day or something close to that, i don't think (although I've not tried it so i dont know)...that i cold cover every area of thinning on my scalp with that amount, unless one drop per place is all you need; which would make Proxiphen VERY Powerful!
And i guess he's done research on all of these questions I'm asking, but i was wondering why other than saving money he would suggest after a year using it only every other day? I'm guessing he considers that after a year the benefit of using it everyday becomes less important to its effects. Also I'd like to know more about Phenytoin and what it does for hair loss? And finally if any of you guys have tried it i'd love to hear how it worked for you. I'm considering Proxipehn so im just trying to do some research;any feedback for m you guys is greatly appreciated!
 02/17/2009 05:33 PM

Author Icon
JWM
Accomplished Poster

I will say this first: Dr. Proctor has posted on here about Proxiphen quite a few times. I recommend doing a search. Or better yet--emailing him yourself. He's pretty good about getting back to people.

Otherwise, maybe Bryan would be kind enough to answer your questions as he (off the top of my head) seems to know more about Proxiphen than most.

02/17/2009 06:58 PM

Author Icon
PhillipM468
Regular Poster

Yes, i did do some preliminary searching and didn't find much; but i think as you said Dr.proctor is probably the best source.
 02/18/2009 02:50 AM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: PhillipM468

One thing that's really got me stumped is how in the world does Dr.Proctor combine Minoxidil and spiro together in the same solution? Does it have to do with the way both are suspended in his solution or maybe at smaller dosages minox doesn't interact/degrade spiro to any appreciable extent? Now I'm sure this is probably secret or something but I'd love to know.

You're right: it's one Dr. Proctor's State Secrets!

He used to brag on alt.baldspot about he had discovered a way to keep spiro and minox stabilized when mixed together, and at one point he was even thinking about having that method patented. But he's always played his cards pretty close to his vest on that one, and has never divulged his method. My own wild guess is that he found some potent combination of antioxidants which works well to keep them from interacting with each other.

Another question i had is about the amount he recommends using; I think its 8-10 drops a day or something close to that, i don't think (although I've not tried it so i dont know)...that i cold cover every area of thinning on my scalp with that amount, unless one drop per place is all you need; which would make Proxiphen VERY Powerful!

You're confusing non-prescription "Prox-N" (which is a liquid) with prescription "Proxiphen" (which is a cream). His suggested use for Prox-N is 8-10 drops, once or twice a day. Proxiphen comes in a small vial, and his recommended dose of the cream is to use up a vial's worth of cream in a month's time.

I once measured the mass of a new, unopened vial of Proxiphen cream with a digital scale, then divided the total mass (minus the weight of the vial) by 30, to get the average recommended daily dose. The figure I came up with was about 0.85 grams per daily dose.

One unusual aspect of Dr. Proctor's treatment philosophy that's unlike anybody else's is that he obviously doesn't go along with the general tendency that most guys have to slather large quantities of drugs all over their scalp. When he says to apply only 8-10 drops of Prox-N or 0.85 grams of Proxiphen (which is just a dab on the end of your finger), he feels that those modest quantities are sufficient. I suggest we listen to what he says, and follow his recommendations. _I_ certainly do.

And i guess he's done research on all of these questions I'm asking, but i was wondering why other than saving money he would suggest after a year using it only every other day? I'm guessing he considers that after a year the benefit of using it everyday becomes less important to its effects.

Yes. He feels that after a year or so, you can probably drop down to a "maintenance dose".

Also I'd like to know more about Phenytoin and what it does for hair loss?

He says it has a hairgrowth-stimulating effect that's about on the same order of effectiveness as minoxidil.
 02/18/2009 08:24 AM

Author Icon
PhillipM468
Regular Poster

thanks bryan, that was very informative, And I sure do appreciate it!
 02/18/2009 08:29 AM

Author Icon
PhillipM468
Regular Poster

Oh and one fallow up question, not sure if anybody knows but i was wondering if anyone had any idea as to the level of spiro in proxiphen? I'd like to hope its around 3%. That would give me some peace of mind. As you can probably tell I'm considering using proxiphen, and I'd just like to feel reassured that it will be at least or more effective than my current regimen....thanks again
 02/18/2009 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Oh and one fallow up question, not sure if anybody knows but i was wondering if anyone had any idea as to the level of spiro in proxiphen? I'd like to hope its around 3%. That would give me some peace of mind.

You've got me on that one. I don't really recall for sure if he's ever talked about the level of spiro in Proxiphen. I would imagine that it's probably around 2% or so, but that's just a guess.

As you can probably tell I'm considering using proxiphen, and I'd just like to feel reassured that it will be at least or more effective than my current regimen....thanks again

Personally, I am NOT particularly impressed with topical spironolactone, and I don't consider that to be one of the major reasons to use Proxiphen. I think without a doubt, the big reason to do that is to get all those powerful SODs it contains, like TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. Dr. Proctor is exclusively associated with the use of those substances, and they're good stuff.
 02/18/2009 12:48 PM

Author Icon
PhillipM468
Regular Poster

thanks again bryan!
 02/19/2009 09:06 AM

Author Icon
Petchsky
Regular Poster

Would proxiphen maintain the hair from propecia? I asked Dr Proctor and he said

"Probably. But if you have been on finasteride for any length of
time, you probably need to continue it, if you can."

So i'm guessing it's 50/50, maybe lose a bit? You know of anyone that switched from propecia to proxiphen without any loss Bryan? Maybe the addition of another anti androgen may help?
 02/25/2009 03:33 PM

Author Icon
pproctor
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Bryan I think without a doubt, the big reason to do that is to get all those powerful SODs it contains, like TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. Dr. Proctor is exclusively associated with the use of those substances, and they're good stuff.
Tempol has just finished phase-2 clinical trials for radiation alopecia. See http://www.mitos.com. For something on PBN and its derivative, also see http://stroke.ahajournals.org/...X=0&resourcetype=HWCIT for how all this concerns stroke. Interestingly, these agents work at such a basic level that the same agents that work for stroke also work for alopecia. This even extends to near-ultraviolet light treatment, about which a paper just showed up in the journal "Stroke". Peter H Proctor, PhD,MD
 02/25/2009 05:40 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: pproctor

Tempol has just finished phase-2 clinical trials for radiation alopecia. See http://www.mitos.com.

I don't find anything at that link about any trial for radiation alopecia, and I did separate searches for "hair" and "TEMPOL". Can you help by providing a more specific link? I'd really like to read about that trial!
Statistics
36282 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 248 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 248 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc