hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Soy - May Cause Many Types of Health Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2009 08:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2009 08:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

Here's an article. It's a little long-winded but there's a lot of information.

Soy
 02/17/2009 10:33 AM

Author Icon
wildriff
Accomplished Poster

Hmm....interesting. While I wouldn't link my hair loss to soy consumption - that would be a stretch - I do eat quite a bit of soy or soy-related products and would have never imagined this.

Even other sources, such as the Wikipedia entry for soy, seems to confirm these dangers. That sucks.
 02/17/2009 11:37 AM

Author Icon
calvinmd
Accomplished Poster

I've never understood the big idea that soy is such a good idea for hair.

The only thing I see going for it is the evidence of estrogen boosting/androgen lowering effects.

But I don't see how that basic concept is beneficial to us at all. If it's not targeted specifically at DHT (preferably type#2), then any lowering of androgen's effects in favor of estrogens is probably doing most of us more harm than good.

Fin & Dut will demolish levels of DHT way better than anything else on the map. Once that's being done, most of us are left wishing for MORE free Testosterone and LESS estrogen in order to reduce the sides from the Fin/Dut.

02/17/2009 10:43 PM

Author Icon
chris09
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Side Show Bob

Soy

There's a lot of information? There absolutely no information supported with citations. Don't you find that odd? And gosh, I guess I lost track of the number of anti-soy books she wanted her readers to buy after the 82nd or 83rd book. Of course, it's only "soygriculture" that has an agenda. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

1. Her claims about Asian and Chinese people eating very little soy are false and, frankly, bizarre. My brother's wife is Chinese (born and raised in China). She cooks with soy EVERY DAY. She eats soy EVERY DAY. I asked her about this article when I saw it and she went wacko. Soy consumption is extremely popular in China and Japan. In the Asian markets where she lives (an ethinically Asian part of her state), there are TONS of soy products that aren't even available in most Western grocery stores. OTOH, she does not consume "massive amounts of pork and eggs." LOL!

2. The author's article, if it has any application whatsoever and isn't a complete waste of time, is directed primarily toward post-menopausal women. Are you a post-menopausal woman?

3. Even if you are a post-menopausal women, you should still probably ignore everything the author said. Here's a link to a study by University of North Carolina researchers that found zero adverse health risks to post-menopausal women given high daily doses of soy.

There are some people that should not take 1000000000 mg of soy per hour. If you're an infant born with congenital hypothyroidism, you probably shouldn't drink it in your formula. Study. If you're a post-menopausal woman on thyroid medication, you probably shouldn't take it at the exact same time as your thyroid medication. Study. Ditto for people taking Calcium supplements!

One of the problems underlying the author's irrational crusade against soy is her myopia. Although this woman went crazy aggro against soy, she could just as easily have experienced a random allergy to some other vitamin or foodstuff and went nutso after that. If you scrutinize ANY foodstuff or vitamin closely enough, you're bound to find it may have some negative effects in some people.

Soy's consumption in Asia (in conjunction with less red meat, less sugar, more green tea, etc.) is probably one of the reasons Asian men have such dramatically lower rates of prostate cancer than American men. (Rates which increase when Asian men begin eating a traditional Western diet!) The bottom line? The overwhelming number of scientific studies on pubmed suggest that soy is good for you and good for AGA sufferers in particular. Even if you're a post-menopausal woman.

Edited: 02/18/2009 at 03:53 AM by chris09
 02/22/2009 05:44 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

Here are some of Lorette Luzajic's other articles:

http://www.bookslut.com/author...orette%20C.%20Luzajic

She is clearly not an expert in any field even remotely related to nutrition. Her only real reference is Kaayla Daniel's book "The Whole Soy Story". Kaayla Daniel has a PhD in "Nutritional Sciences and Anti-Aging therapies" from "Union Institute and University" in Cincinnatti. Enough said?

-------------------------
5 mg fin/day
1 application 5% minox/day
Ginger PO shampoo every day
 02/22/2009 06:10 PM

Author Icon
Butch54
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: chris09

Originally posted by: Side Show Bob

Soy

There's a lot of information? There absolutely no information supported with citations. Don't you find that odd? And gosh, I guess I lost track of the number of anti-soy books she wanted her readers to buy after the 82nd or 83rd book. Of course, it's only "soygriculture" that has an agenda. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

1. Her claims about Asian and Chinese people eating very little soy are false and, frankly, bizarre. My brother's wife is Chinese (born and raised in China). She cooks with soy EVERY DAY. She eats soy EVERY DAY. I asked her about this article when I saw it and she went wacko. Soy consumption is extremely popular in China and Japan. In the Asian markets where she lives (an ethinically Asian part of her state), there are TONS of soy products that aren't even available in most Western grocery stores. OTOH, she does not consume "massive amounts of pork and eggs." LOL!

2. The author's article, if it has any application whatsoever and isn't a complete waste of time, is directed primarily toward post-menopausal women. Are you a post-menopausal woman?

3. Even if you are a post-menopausal women, you should still probably ignore everything the author said. Here's a link to a study by University of North Carolina researchers that found zero adverse health risks to post-menopausal women given high daily doses of soy.

There are some people that should not take 1000000000 mg of soy per hour. If you're an infant born with congenital hypothyroidism, you probably shouldn't drink it in your formula. Study. If you're a post-menopausal woman on thyroid medication, you probably shouldn't take it at the exact same time as your thyroid medication. Study. Ditto for people taking Calcium supplements!

One of the problems underlying the author's irrational crusade against soy is her myopia. Although this woman went crazy aggro against soy, she could just as easily have experienced a random allergy to some other vitamin or foodstuff and went nutso after that. If you scrutinize ANY foodstuff or vitamin closely enough, you're bound to find it may have some negative effects in some people.

Soy's consumption in Asia (in conjunction with less red meat, less sugar, more green tea, etc.) is probably one of the reasons Asian men have such dramatically lower rates of prostate cancer than American men. (Rates which increase when Asian men begin eating a traditional Western diet!) The bottom line? The overwhelming number of scientific studies on pubmed suggest that soy is good for you and good for AGA sufferers in particular. Even if you're a post-menopausal woman.

Nice post however Soy is NOT for everyone. I myself had a terrible reaction after using it for quite sometime. My joints, especially my wrists started to swell so bad that I had a hard time using them. I actually went to a surgeon who was treating me with Cortisone shots in an attempt to reduce the swelling and give me use of my hands once again. Doctors were baffled as to the cause until I read a post from another person who also was experiencing the exact same problems and found it to be RELATED TO SOY. Once she stopped using all Soy, the swelling and pain she had started to subside. So, I did the same, stopping the Soy milk I used in my morning cereal and other Soy products. Within 3 days I felt a big difference and after a month, I was practically cured.

Recently, a good friend of my girlfriend went through the same ordeal. She also ended up stopping Soy products and found her pain and swelling went away shortly afterwards. A coincidence ?? I think not ! Soy is not for everyone, if it helps some people then great but those who think it`s harmless to everyone are sadly mistaken.

PS For what it`s worth, check out one of Soy`s side effects. It binds to minerals and depletes the body of them, possibly why many people have health problems after using Soy for a while.
 02/22/2009 06:21 PM

Author Icon
redbird
Prolific Poster

Soy is like anything else. Used in moderation, there is no problem with it for most people. Just like regular milk, used in moderation, there is no problem for most people. But if you are drinking a gallon of milk a day (or soy milk for that matter), then you probably are going to have problems.
 02/23/2009 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

Nice post however Soy is NOT for everyone. I myself had a terrible reaction after using it for quite sometime. My joints, especially my wrists started to swell so bad that I had a hard time using them. I actually went to a surgeon who was treating me with Cortisone shots in an attempt to reduce the swelling and give me use of my hands once again. Doctors were baffled as to the cause until I read a post from another person who also was experiencing the exact same problems and found it to be RELATED TO SOY. Once she stopped using all Soy, the swelling and pain she had started to subside. So, I did the same, stopping the Soy milk I used in my morning cereal and other Soy products. Within 3 days I felt a big difference and after a month, I was practically cured.

Recently, a good friend of my girlfriend went through the same ordeal. She also ended up stopping Soy products and found her pain and swelling went away shortly afterwards. A coincidence ?? I think not ! Soy is not for everyone, if it helps some people then great but those who think it`s harmless to everyone are sadly mistaken.

PS For what it`s worth, check out one of Soy`s side effects. It binds to minerals and depletes the body of them, possibly why many people have health problems after using Soy for a while.

Really nice post, but since we're using anecdotal stories as proof, here's mine. I have been consuming soy products for over 20 years with absolutely no problems at all. In fact, since I am the only male in my family over 40 without prostate problems (including my father, 5 uncles, and 2 brothers), I credit soy with this fact. There are so many studies showing the benefits of soy, that I cannot possibly list them all. In fact, it has been shown that soy provokes fewer alergies than peanuts, but you don't see anti-peanut posts in this forum. So lay off soy. It's like any other bean.

5 mg fin/day
 02/23/2009 05:40 PM

Author Icon
Butch54
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Gumbo Boy

Really nice post, but since we're using anecdotal stories as proof, here's mine. I have been consuming soy products for over 20 years with absolutely no problems at all. In fact, since I am the only male in my family over 40 without prostate problems (including my father, 5 uncles, and 2 brothers), I credit soy with this fact. There are so many studies showing the benefits of soy, that I cannot possibly list them all. In fact, it has been shown that soy provokes fewer alergies than peanuts, but you don't see anti-peanut posts in this forum. So lay off soy. It's like any other bean.

Just stating findings that others including myself have when using Soy Gumby. Most grown ups can handle both sides of a discussion........but if you can`t, find another forum.
 02/24/2009 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

I can handle it Butch-girl. Can you?

5 mg fin/day
Statistics
32085 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 473 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 476 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc