hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: "There is more money put into baldness drugs than into malaria,"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2009 10:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2009 10:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Butcher Bay
Accomplished Poster

"There is more money put into baldness drugs than into malaria," Gates quipped, triggering laughter. "Now, baldness is a terrible thing and rich men are afflicted. That is why that priority has been set." Bill Gates

news feed

Easy for a man with a full head of hair to say at what, 50+?

I wonder if Bill would have got where he is today had his hair started coming out at age 15, 16 17?
 02/05/2009 11:57 AM

Author Icon
What_a_Pity
Accomplished Poster

Gates can eat a dick. Bill, gimme a call when you're ready.
 02/05/2009 12:17 PM

Author Icon
calvinmd
Accomplished Poster

That's funny.

I thought Bill Gates was in on the big secret conspiracy to make sure baldness doesn't get cured.

02/05/2009 12:20 PM

Author Icon
debris
Accomplished Poster

Ballmer is bald, Jobs is bald, you know what? Pretty much every CEO is bald. Its the power they radiate that makes them not to care.
 02/05/2009 12:21 PM

Author Icon
debris
Accomplished Poster

stop whining ppl
 02/05/2009 02:17 PM

Author Icon
BaldingK
Occasional Poster

saw that too, my thoughts exactly
Originally posted by: Butcher Bay "There is more money put into baldness drugs than into malaria," Gates quipped, triggering laughter. "Now, baldness is a terrible thing and rich men are afflicted. That is why that priority has been set." Bill Gates news feed Easy for a man with a full head of hair to say at what, 50+? I wonder if Bill would have got where he is today had his hair started coming out at age 15, 16 17?

-------------------------

pun intended
 02/05/2009 02:58 PM

Author Icon
MrMister
Accomplished Poster

bill gates has a bald spot now. i saw a recent interview where the camera moved behind him once in a while and there it was in all its glory.
 02/05/2009 04:51 PM

Author Icon
TheCamdenKid
Prolific Poster

That's a ludicrous thing for Bill Gates to say. He could've easily made the point he was trying to make without drawing a parallel with another medical condition. What Mr Gates fails to significantly realise is that there are millions of men, women and children suffering severe emotional and psychological problems due to various forms of alopecia. Although ethics would obviously outline that there are more serious medical problems to be solved, belittling one condition to provoke awareness in another is nothing short of idiotic - especially when he clearly has no idea of the implications to hair loss sufferers in general.
 02/05/2009 08:21 PM

Author Icon
Innermind
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: TheCamdenKid

That's a ludicrous thing for Bill Gates to say. He could've easily made the point he was trying to make without drawing a parallel with another medical condition. What Mr Gates fails to significantly realise is that there are millions of men, women and children suffering severe emotional and psychological problems due to various forms of alopecia. Although ethics would obviously outline that there are more serious medical problems to be solved, belittling one condition to provoke awareness in another is nothing short of idiotic - especially when he clearly has no idea of the implications to hair loss sufferers in general.

well said.

F@(K it! No treatments. Nothing. Im done wasting money.
Dr. Thomas (scum) Wentland-1800 hairs, destroyed my life.
Dr. Ron Shapiro- 176 FUE into scar. Happy with results.
Buzzing my head no guard, happy except for the marks left from scumland, i mean Dr. wentland.
 02/05/2009 09:51 PM

Author Icon
Loki
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: TheCamdenKid

Spot on, Bill Gates can go F**K himself. And with the amount of money he has he could cover the cost of finding a cure for Malaria all by himself.
 02/06/2009 05:26 AM

Author Icon
What_a_Pity
Accomplished Poster

White male = PC whipping boy.

Pardon the pun.

I hope Bill Gates gets cancer.
 02/06/2009 06:43 AM

Author Icon
typical skeleton
Prolific Poster

wow, you guys are seriously off your rockers. I have mpb, it's not destroying me emotionally or mentally. you guys are just a bunch of crybabies.

he was trying to emphasize that a COSMETIC condition receives more funding than a SERIOUS, DEADLY disease that kills about 1 MILLION people a year. when's the last time someone died from MPB?

you idiots need to go live in africa for a while, even as a well-off, healthy white guy who cries himself to sleep because his HAIR is falling off his head, while kids over THERE are dying every day because of the WATER they drink.

you hope he gets cancer? grow up, will you? cancer is no laughing matter, and a deadly disease should not be wished upon anyone, at any time.

you guys are just gone, way too far gone. I'm an adult, I can deal with hair falling off of my head, NO BIG DEAL. cancer, malaria, no fresh drinking water and starvation? big effin' deals right there, kids.
 02/06/2009 07:01 AM

Author Icon
typical skeleton
Prolific Poster

here you guys go, a little perspective:

symptoms of mpb:

The typical pattern of male baldness begins at the hairline. The hairline gradually recedes to form an "M" shape. The existing hair may become finer and shorter. The hair at the crown also begins to thin. Eventually the top of the hairline meets the thinned crown, leaving a horseshoe pattern of hair around the sides of the head.

symptoms and end result of malaria:

* fever
* rigors
* headaches
* sweating
* tiredness
* myalgia (limbs and back)
* abdominal pain
* diarrhea
* loss of appetite
* orthostatic hypotension
* nausea
* slight jaundice
* cough
* enlarged liver and spleen (sometimes not palpable)
* vomiting

result:

* Kidney failure
* Abnormal and compromised liver function Anemia (anaemia)
* A build-up of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema (oedema))
* A decreased in the number of white blood cells
* Hypoglycemia (hypoglycaemia) (Low blood sugar )
* Lactic acidosis (lowered pH of the blood)
* Blood chemistry being altered including low sodium content
* "Black water fever" (so called because to the resultant dark urine) which indicates the wholesale destruction of red blood cells when infected and destroyed by the parasite.

kidney failure, of course, leads to death.

no, you're right.. gates is an idiot, his example is right out. makes no sense. what an oaf!

loki, btw, bill gates is and always been one of the top philanthropists in the world, donating more money to more disease research and prevention programs than pretty much anyone else. so please do some research before making ignorant comments.
 02/06/2009 07:07 AM

Author Icon
TheCamdenKid
Prolific Poster

I'm not saying that alopecia should receive more medical research attention than other life-threatening diseases like malaria, far from it. What I AM saying is that he shouldn't belittle another medical condition to make his point about the seriousness of another. Of course there's people around the World a hell of a lot worse of than those who are losing their hair, but unfortunatey (for the most part) humans base their perspective on their immediate environment. Tragic, I know, but true.

To clarify, of course Mr Gates is right. There should be more money put into life threatening diseases like malaria. It's just the way he tried to put his point across that was insensitive. He could've just generalised by saying there was more money put into the cosmetic industry or something, but he singled something out.

Edited: 02/06/2009 at 07:15 AM by TheCamdenKid
 02/06/2009 07:18 AM

Author Icon
typical skeleton
Prolific Poster

he can belittle a medical condition that receives more funding to illustrate the disparity between the two.

because mpb is not nearly as serious as malaria, especially malaria as an epidemic, and especially because malaria is preventable, it just is not being prevented. yes, redirect funding from rhinovirus research to pancreatic cancer research, would be my take on the situation, if I knew that more was being done to combat the common cold than a deadly form of cancer.

you can't take something like that personally. this is about malaria and saving millions of lives, it is NOT about how mpb does not make life miserable for SOME, though they still get to live a healthy life, if they so choose to.

I assume this thread will be locked and I'll probably get in trouble, but it's O.K. it's been a long day and I can't believe anyone would think to say he's an idiot, considering all the amazing things he has done not only in the world of disease research and prevention, but also in terms of what he did for the entire world when it comes to technology. ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
 02/07/2009 07:29 AM

Author Icon
Ripley Bogle
Regular Poster

Gates could have chosen to cite any non-life threatening and cosmetic research and development as an example, yet he picked baldness.

Well now, he couldn't offend the women in the room by attacking their make-up or hair products so he opted for the easy target, the embarrassing condition suffered by the male sex. We can all laugh about that, right? It's only men.

Wrong, Gates. In your perverse hierarchy of suffering I have no doubt malaria should have a higher priority, but in all your new found moral rectitude spare a thought for all the dudes who find themselves in social hell because of their hair loss - whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, it exists.

The last resort of the truly stupid is always to compare wrongly - better to lose your hair than lose your leg etc. By that logic one can make almost anything acceptable. The comparison is redundant and based on false logic. Better to compare the money spent on baldness research to the money spent on make-up, cosmetics etc. Sure it's not a life-threatening condition, but in a society which is completely appearance oriented it can cause severe psychological and emotional problems. It only takes you to admit baldness can cause serious depression and it's booted up an order of magnitude.

The morons make me sick, completely short termism with no idea about cause and effect. Get lost, Gates. I thought they killed you in the South Park movie, I guess Satan let you out.
 02/07/2009 09:29 AM

Author Icon
What_a_Pity
Accomplished Poster

Ripley Bogle wins the thread.
 02/16/2009 04:05 PM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

I was expecting to find that story here. When I read it elsewhere (not a hair-related forum), I was pissed. The thing is, Gates has lost some hair, so that he's maybe a NW2. If he (same face, body, nerdiness) were that way at age 35, single, and not wealthy, he probably would be more than a little upset about the hair.

"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
 02/16/2009 10:41 PM

Author Icon
dhart99
Occasional Poster

I'm not sure if any of you watched the show on Gates's money and the effect on the fight of malaria. Apparently the malaria relief is buying black market and knockoff drugs that is making malaria drug resistant . When Gates was asked about this problem with destroying the real drugs ability to fight the disease because of all the knockoff drugs his fund was supplying , he had no comment .
 02/17/2009 02:16 AM

Author Icon
Fundi
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Butcher Bay

I wonder if Bill would have got where he is today had his hair started coming out at age 15, 16 17?

Umm...yes he would still have 'got where he is', without a doubt. The guy's a genius and hardly vain.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal. He raises a point, yeh we don't like it but it's the truth and shows capitalism at it's finest.

It's a bit ironic though.

Mr Gates, you put about 500 x more money into a silly software update than for what is used to try to cure AIDS?
Statistics
32081 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 821 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 826 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc