hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: My Ketoconazole Experiment (Nizoral)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2008 07:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2008 07:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
James_B
Regular Poster

Some of you may know that I have been using Nizoral 2% each night religiously for the last 4 weeks. In this time I have had absolutely no side effects such as dry or irritated scalp.

Currently if you saw me you'd never think I was loosing hair however my hairline has receded, I have a widows peak (runs in the family) which is reasonably deep but then again I would have NEVER thought I was loosing hair until someone commented on my hairline. I am convinced that I am balding because apart from the hairline when I pull through my hair with my hands I get a few thin, small hairs falling out majority however being long 3 + inch healthy hairs - sometimes though these small hairs are much thinner than the other hair that have fallen out... Miniaturization in progress perhaps if so that's a sure sign of MPB, correct?

Here is a picture of my hairline and Crown

">http://www.amnet.net.au/~sic/hhh/Untitled-6.jpg">
http://www.amnet.net.au/~sic/hhh/new/Hairline-CLOSEUP.jpg
http://www.amnet.net.au/~sic/hhh/new/Hairline-Pulled-Back-1.jpg
http://www.amnet.net.au/~sic/hhh/new/CROWN-1.jpg

To me looks like the crown is thinning Yeah? However since that picture was taken of my crown no matter how many times I look at the crown with two mirrors it does not look at that bad, It's asif the crown has improved my mum commented that the back of my head has become thicker! Hmm... I will take a picture tomorrow.

Here is what TRIGGERED THIS IDEA! I have noticed a full length of hair about 8mm away from my hairline, when I first noticed this hair it was about 7 - 8 mm away from the rest of the hairline with nothing around it. After this many weeks of using Nizoral I am seeing that that 'loner hair' is being surrounded by tiny hairs - I am certain I did not see these hairs 4 - 5 weeks ago when I first took notice of this single hair. The only thing I can connect this too is my continuous use of Nizoral 2% Each night 10 Min per session on scalp. That is the only treatment I am using.

This thread http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47842
">http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47842

That thread made me start this - That study showed remarkable growth by simply using Niz Cream each night! My experiment is to purchase some of the cream and apply it to the new hairs which I have noticed as well as continuing the use of Niz 2% Shampoo each night religiously.

I am going to document what happens as I am ONLY going to apply a small amount of the Lotion on the new hairs I've spotted and only there, no were else will the lotion be used for about 5 weeks and If I see results I will begin applying all over the scalp as done in the study.

I welcome everyones thoughts about my pictures, this idea!

Thank you!

Edited: 09/17/2008 at 07:23 AM by James_B
 09/17/2008 07:26 AM

Author Icon
typical skeleton
Prolific Poster

in the pic, your hair looks pretty O.K. there are a few questionable spots behind your hair line, but it's difficult to say (i.e, hair loss is not apparent). is the vertex much worse?

I actually think this sort of "personal study" is more beneficial to this type of board than these weird shotgun cocktails people have, who then notice some new density, yet can't place what helped them. there was another thread here that talked about the benefits of keto/niz, so maybe we'll actually figure something out here...

the idea seems fine as long as you don't get carried away, and as long as you're willing to accept that it (knock on wood) may not work at all...

keep us updated!
 09/17/2008 07:31 AM

Author Icon
Chef_Snow

Hey James_B

I use Nizoral 2% about 5 times per week. I usually mix in about 5 drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender oil. Then I let it sit for about half an hour while I read a book or something. My scalp definitely feels better. As for regrowth, I'm not sure because I also take 1mg of fin each day as well. My hair feels better, thicker and I've seen a few extra hairs near the hairline. Keep us posted.

Cheers
 09/17/2008 11:04 PM

Author Icon
James_B
Regular Poster

Thanks guys and I am aware this may not work but what have I got to lose?

I just purchased my first tube of Nizoral 2% Cream and its bloody expensive at 26.95 per 30g!

My first application in the controlled area will be tonight after shampooing with Nizoral 2% (as usual) will report back in a couple of weeks or sooner if something comes up.
 09/18/2008 12:24 AM

Author Icon
Auten Jostew
Prolific Poster

I've used 2% Ketoconazole cream on my hairline for the last 9 months. It didn't do much.
 09/18/2008 12:27 AM

Author Icon
James_B
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: Auten Jostew
I've used 2% Ketoconazole cream on my hairline for the last 9 months. It didn't do much.

Did you continue thinning on the hairline?
 09/18/2008 10:04 AM

Author Icon
J5
Accomplished Poster

I tried the nizoral cream tube but I stopped it. since it's not specificly made to put on hair I felt the cream is to thick and dry to rub on ones hair. I felt that in the rubbing process and trying to get the cream on my scalp if anything could cause the thinning hair 2 fall out and Personally I can't afford to loose anymore hair. Now if you one is applying it on a moderately bald & bald spot the cream should be ok. Does someone know if they sell a Keto cream specificly to put on ones hair. Like a stay on cream?
 09/18/2008 10:08 AM

Author Icon
typical skeleton
Prolific Poster

J5, try to keep in mind that hair that's going to fall out, will fall out. whether it's keto cream or a slight breeze, the hair is done. it's meant to fall out. as long as a cream/topical/shampoo/gel isn't causing you to rip the hair out unnaturally, you've got nothing to lose.

this is another sort of tangible and cosmetic concern of MPB sufferers, but it's not really something that should be alarming.
 10/02/2008 04:40 AM

Author Icon
Knowingyou
Occasional Poster

10/02/2008 04:42 AM

Author Icon
Knowingyou
Occasional Poster

@James_B, how is your experiment going? Any further improvement??
 10/02/2008 08:16 PM

Author Icon
J5
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: typical skeleton
J5, try to keep in mind that hair that's going to fall out, will fall out. whether it's keto cream or a slight breeze, the hair is done. it's meant to fall out. as long as a cream/topical/shampoo/gel isn't causing you to rip the hair out unnaturally, you've got nothing to lose.

this is another sort of tangible and cosmetic concern of MPB sufferers, but it's not really something that should be alarming.

I started to use it again. I just apply it when showering or after working out mildly in between existing hair on the mid front where my hair loss is moderate and nw2 temples where my hair loss is moderate and leave it on for like 5 minutes. Hopefully it get absorbed.
 10/02/2008 08:25 PM

Author Icon
kg178
Occasional Poster

Where do you guys buy 2% Nizoral from w/o prescription?

Edited: 10/02/2008 at 08:25 PM by kg178
 10/29/2008 11:24 PM

Author Icon
kingpin
Prolific Poster

http://unitedpharmacies.com/cu...ubstring=ketoconazole

You can also use another -azole compound(miconazole nitrate) which likely has similar results if not better because of the nitrate.

Miconazole nitrate is available without prescription and available in most pharmacies.
The tube I got(dont use it much because I already have the keto base covered
now with Nanominox by sinere.com) was like 2 bucks for 14 grams a way better
value than ketoconazole.

Statistics
32086 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 488 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 493 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc