hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Differences between Male Pattern Baldness and Telogen Effluvium?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/26/2008 10:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/26/2008 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ricky3309
Regular Poster

My hairloss is geting very frustrating and depressing since Im only 18 and I lost so much hair in only a few months. I already went to a doctor and a derm and both told me its telogen effluvium which I highly doubt. My hairline has receded more than 2 cm and I have lost a lot of hair in the front, top and sides, and it get worse by the week, like I can litterally see my hair get thinner and lose its volume. What makes it worse is that I can feel this stinging pain when I lose my hair in that area, which drives me crazy. Can somebody help me out tell me whether its telogen effluvium like my docs say or if its MPB? and why wont my doc put me on any type of medication, is it because my age?
 06/26/2008 01:14 PM

Author Icon
BrokenBox
Regular Poster

Do a good portion of the hairs than fall out have white bulbs on them?
 06/26/2008 01:32 PM

Author Icon
efocmacro
Prolific Poster

06/26/2008 01:41 PM

Author Icon
debris
Accomplished Poster

if the hair has whitish dots / bulbs / roots then you have 2 most probable options - telogen effluvium or male pattern baldness, if its mpb, hair will miniaturize, so you will be shedding smaller and smaller hairs. and gradually go bald. hair will not be growing back. if its TE, you areas will get thin but hair will keep growing back. you can somehow distinguish between these two. If it has male pattern, its probably mpb. If you shed small hair <3cm a lot (more then 30% lets say), its probably mpb. You should examine your head and try it at various places. Try gently pulling some hair at one spot, see how many hair you pulled, and what is the % of the short hair there. do it at various places. If at the typical male pattern areas you get many short hairs, its mpb.

Actually third option for you is some inflamatory disease on the scalp. Like seborheic dermatitis or something. Signs of this is unhealthy scalp skin. Redness, a lot of flakes and overall problems like this.

if the hair does not have the whitis dots / bulbs / roots then it may be something like diffuse areata or some nasty weirdness.

Edited: 06/26/2008 at 01:45 PM by debris
 06/26/2008 03:13 PM

Author Icon
ricky3309
Regular Poster

^Thanks for the reply,

Well my hair is actually shoulder length so I cant really do that short hair test, but the hairs that do fall out have black bulbs on them like 75 % of the time. Sometimes I inspect the thinness/ thickness of the strands and some are still thick up to the bulb while others thin out, its almost a 50/50 ratio but I dont pay attention much to that, just adds to the stress. I also did notice my scalp became itcher, flaky, "dandruffy", and irritated when I began losing my hair as well as my eyebrows which started getting extremely dry and flaky. The derm did mention something about that seborheic dermatitis when I asked about the eyebrows.

Im thinking of going to a hair transplant doctor for a third opinion, would he be able to verify whats going on? Does that hairdx.com work too? because Im willing to try anything at this point to confirm whats going on. Ugh
 06/26/2008 03:20 PM

Author Icon
efocmacro
Prolific Poster

hair transplant doctor wont do nething but tell u to get on propecia, especially if are not in more advanced stages of balding. i dont know wher eu are from, but u can try going to a trichologist (regenix) has a free consult one, u go there, and they take out some hairs and look at it under the microscope. mainly , they will be telling u have dirt or whatrever in ur follicles, but go there to use the microscope they use on your head. they show a close up of all ur hairs, and u can see if its miniaturized or not

im one year into shedding, and i have white bulbs, hairs are longer than 3cm, diffuse all over, no major noticieble male pattern (temples) just yet. and i just got back from my blood tests and they said i was low on magnesium and potassium. u can always get checked out on blood tests... saliva tests for cortisol adrenal fatigue, test for thyroid, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium... im still trying to figure out whats wrong with me. i really think stress + bad nutrients is accelerating my mpb and i dunt know if itll ever stop
 06/26/2008 03:56 PM

Author Icon
wannakeephair
Prolific Poster

me too!
my scalp itched like crazy when all of this started. i would scratch until little red bumps bled.

painful scalp. very.

and no one know a dang thing about any of this. is funny how hair is the last thing docs care about. but a doctor that does care about hairloss could get rich!
 06/27/2008 12:06 AM

Author Icon
debris
Accomplished Poster

ricky of course you can do the test. just use two fingers, grab around 15 hairs as close to the scalp as you can, hold them with the two fingers tight enough, and pull slowly far away. and see what you have in your hand. If your hair is shoulder length its perfect. The test is not about testing if short cut hair falls easily. Its about testing if some of your hair is unable to grow to the full shoulder length and in fact is unable to grow longer than 3cm. It is normal that some hair will not grow longer then 3cm, but if that is a case for more then lets say 20 or 30% of the hair that you pull or if it happens much more likely in the typical mpb patterns and not in the back of your head, then its MPB.

Edited: 06/27/2008 at 12:12 AM by debris
 06/27/2008 12:08 AM

Author Icon
debris
Accomplished Poster

If I will trust you on the black roots instead of small white roots thing ..... If you really have black ones you do not want to do any pulling tests because they would be irrelevant anyway. Black means Its anagen effluvium probably caused by diffuse alopecia areata . Though you should know that this diagnosis is much more rare then MPB or tellogen effluvium, so better double check the roots. What you can do for example is to grab the hair in between your nails, and pull it, out, to see if you feel a bump at the root of the hair. If you do, that bump is what you are after, examine it in various lighting conditions. What is the color? Translucent, white? Black? is there a bump at all? If there is really no bump and the ending is black, its what I said, weird mild case of alopecia areata. I seriously doubt that this is the case though.

Edited: 06/27/2008 at 12:20 AM by debris
 06/27/2008 02:16 AM

Author Icon
efocmacro
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: debris
if the hair has whitish dots / bulbs / roots then you have 2 most probable options - telogen effluvium or male pattern baldness, if its mpb, hair will miniaturize, so you will be shedding smaller and smaller hairs. and gradually go bald. hair will not be growing back. if its TE, you areas will get thin but hair will keep growing back. you can somehow distinguish between these two. If it has male pattern, its probably mpb. If you shed small hair <3cm a lot (more then 30% lets say), its probably mpb. You should examine your head and try it at various places. Try gently pulling some hair at one spot, see how many hair you pulled, and what is the % of the short hair there. do it at various places. If at the typical male pattern areas you get many short hairs, its mpb.

Actually third option for you is some inflamatory disease on the scalp. Like seborheic dermatitis or something. Signs of this is unhealthy scalp skin. Redness, a lot of flakes and overall problems like this.

if the hair does not have the whitis dots / bulbs / roots then it may be something like diffuse areata or some nasty weirdness.

this is so ridculous but none of the hairs are coming out when i pull on them. but when i look around my chair , theres 100's of hairs, about 3-4 inches long with visible white roots
 06/27/2008 11:45 PM

Author Icon
ricky3309
Regular Poster

I cant really do that test since I dont think I have any new hairs growing accept for a few on my widows peak and those are still below 3 cm and it doesnt feel like I could pull those out. But my hairline is still receding, sometimes I can see the changes day to day. And my hair keeps falling out but I dont see any regrowth when I try to examine the scalp. I checked the bulbs again too and most are black, some look barely translucent, and very few had white bulbs.

Are these signs of MPB? Can TE cause the a receding hairline as well because thats what my derm told me but then after researching the net I didnt find receding hairlines as a big problem. Somebody help?!?

Edited: 06/27/2008 at 11:45 PM by ricky3309
 07/04/2008 10:52 PM

Author Icon
ricky3309
Regular Poster

bump...
Statistics
32368 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1304 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1312 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc