hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: how bad is sodium laureth sulfates?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/02/2008 01:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2008 01:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ninjamariner
Regular Poster

ive been meaning to purchase certain products but im hesitant since it contains this chemical... is this anything to really worry about? thanks!
 05/02/2008 10:02 AM

Author Icon
italianguy
Accomplished Poster

Its an extremely popular additive to shampoos as it volumizes hair very well. It is also an irritant, so some people claim it increases hair loss. Most of the popular shampoos have it ....

sodium myreth sulfate is less irritating but gives less body to hair.

There is a long list of cleansers - their irritation potential and their add body potential.

The worst surfactant of all is sodium ammonium sulfate - as in head and shoulders brand shampoos etc. Great body - but very irritating.

There are a group of folks - the 'grung' group - that claim shampooing less often with less irritating surfactants - reduces hair loss.

The question really is does SLS , disturb the scalps acid mantle and thereby trigger SD ???

SLS IS NOT the worst one - sodium ammonium sulfate is.

Sodium Mryeth Sulfate is one level below SLS in terms of irritation

But keep in mind your hair will look thicker and better with the most irritating ( effective ) surfactant ....

Life is a b*&^h
 05/02/2008 01:06 PM

Author Icon
D3
Regular Poster

Hi it is belived...and thought in some quaters that SLS and associated cheap petro chemicals .... have very strong molecular chains that to a certain degree mimic natural estrogen. Natural estrogen degrades quickly..........petro chemicals don't........the big Q is ........... do these harsh chemicals penetrate the scalp to do damage???? so people think so ............. more estrogen ........... the more the male body compensates....usually with DHT ............. bingo possibly accelerated hair loss.......
I would avoid SLS and go for totally organic shampoos..........they are difficult to find.
 05/02/2008 01:13 PM

Author Icon
stbr1771
Regular Poster

05/02/2008 01:14 PM

Author Icon
stbr1771
Regular Poster

can you recommend an organic shampoo in uk? thanks
 05/02/2008 01:36 PM

Author Icon
Innermind
Accomplished Poster

sodium laureth sulfate is gentle enough for a babies skin. Its the primary cleanser in Cetaphil and thats made for sensitive skin. You'd have to have some kind of skin condition or have the most sensitive skin in the world for sodium laureth sulfate to hurt you. If your losing your hair, it has nothing to do with sodium laureth sulfate.

And its not getting absorbed into the blood steam to cause increase in DHT becuase its similar to estrogen. Thats outrageous.

-------------------------
F@(K it! No treatments. Nothing. Im done wasting money.
Dr. Thomas (scum) Wentland-1800 hairs, destroyed my life.
Dr. Ron Shapiro- 176 FUE into scar. Happy with results.
Buzzing my head no guard, happy except for the marks left from scumland, i mean Dr. wentland.
 05/02/2008 03:44 PM

Author Icon
deprimiert
Occasional Poster

Hi I'm new to this forum! I just thought this was an interesting topic so i thought i'd make it my first post!

I personally use Nizorelle ( ktz 1%) 2 times a week and I can see that it contains SLS!, does anyone know if the 2% perscription formula contain this chemical also?
I also use T/Gel a couple times a week and it doesnt contain this but maybe the other chemicals in it are just as damaging... I am not sure what the its called..

Tux, I use Aubrey organics shampoo. This shampoo seems to have amazing ingredients and everything is natural, not a single chemical!. it also makes my hair feel good, in combination with the conditioner. I bought mine from http://www.iherb.com
 05/02/2008 08:44 PM

Author Icon
kingpin
Prolific Poster

I am never ceased to be amazed to the extent that people with mpb look for other excuses to what is causing their hair loss. I unknowingly used SLS shampoos from birth to puberty with a MASSIVELY thick head of hair. So, if SLS was causal it took at least 17 years to show. The back of my scalp seems
rather impervious to SLS...I'm puzzled????
 05/02/2008 11:05 PM

Author Icon
captain_picard
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: kingpin
I am never ceased to be amazed to the extent that people with mpb look for other excuses to what is causing their hair loss. I unknowingly used SLS shampoos from birth to puberty with a MASSIVELY thick head of hair. So, if SLS was causal it took at least 17 years to show. The back of my scalp seems

rather impervious to SLS...I'm puzzled????

I agree with this. There are some cases where basic logic makes scientific inquiry unnecessary or frivolous, and this is one of those.
Statistics
32260 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 709 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 712 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc