hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Finasteride and Brain Fog
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/13/2008 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/13/2008 07:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
l2rdo
Regular Poster

Ive been on Finasteride for about 2 months now and recently Ive noticed that I stumble over words and get tongue tied about 3-5x a week (usually when Im excited and talking fast). It isnt much, but it definitely seems more than usual. Im not sure if Im just paranoid about brain fog, or if Im actually suffering from it. What I was wondering was if this particular side effect tends to go away, or if it gets worse and worse the longer you take finasteride. Is this something I should really be concerned with?
 04/13/2008 09:11 PM

Author Icon
madclown
Accomplished Poster

For me it got worse until by 11 months on the drug I was slurring my speech. It's pretty scary.

And since Fin does more than inhibit 5AR reduction of T to DHT, but also inhibits neurosteroid synthesis in the brain (ie, THDOC, Allopregnanolone), I'd be concerned.

Also, studies listed throughout this thread should give anyone moment to pause for thought:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45094

Also,

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1541/fin1gf1.gif

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=progesteroneallopregnantf1.gif

Edited: 04/13/2008 at 09:18 PM by madclown
 04/13/2008 10:07 PM

Author Icon
Miki
Accomplished Poster

It's all in your head

...the Finasteride, that is.

J/K. Why don't you try reducing to 0.5mg per day and see how it goes?
 04/13/2008 10:11 PM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: l2rdo
Ive been on Finasteride for about 2 months now and recently Ive noticed that I stumble over words and get tongue tied about 3-5x a week (usually when Im excited and talking fast). It isnt much, but it definitely seems more than usual. Im not sure if Im just paranoid about brain fog, or if Im actually suffering from it. What I was wondering was if this particular side effect tends to go away, or if it gets worse and worse the longer you take finasteride. Is this something I should really be concerned with?

Increase the amounts of GOOD fats in your diet to reverse the brain fog and add some B vits.

Regards
Pete
 04/14/2008 04:46 AM

Author Icon
l2rdo
Regular Poster

Im currently on .5mg/day. For a couple of weeks I took 1mg/day and noticed I was having trouble sleeping and feeling tired during the day. Ive dropped back down to .5mg/day and havent had trouble sleeping or feeling tired since then.
 04/14/2008 11:55 AM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

I was on 7.5 years, and that was a huge problem for me. It almost seemed like my tongue was swollen in my mouth. I would trip over words and then started to forget them. I remember exactly when it started happening.

That's not good. But I agree, try taking some vits. Specifically I would try 25mg of zinc and some omega 3 - get molecularly distilled. If that doesn't work then quit. I regret taking it for so long.
 04/14/2008 12:08 PM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Im currently on .5mg/day. For a couple of weeks I took 1mg/day and noticed I was having trouble sleeping and feeling tired during the day. Ive dropped back down to .5mg/day and havent had trouble sleeping or feeling tired since then.

But you haven't said wheather the drug is giving you any results? and if yes what?
 04/14/2008 12:12 PM

Author Icon
majorsixth
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: worm
I was on 7.5 years, and that was a huge problem for me. It almost seemed like my tongue was swollen in my mouth. I would trip over words and then started to forget them. I remember exactly when it started happening.

That's not good. But I agree, try taking some vits. Specifically I would try 25mg of zinc and some omega 3 - get molecularly distilled. If that doesn't work then quit. I regret taking it for so long.

So you have stopped taking fin, how long ago? And are you back to normal now?
 04/14/2008 02:24 PM

Author Icon
zero
Accomplished Poster

I dont believe i noticed anything from propecia which i took for 5 years, but the proscar for the last 15 months definately put me in some brain fog (lethargy and a dip in libido too). If i wasnt mortified of losing my hair & exposing old Bosely work and donor scars I would drop it yesterday.

z
 04/15/2008 04:33 AM

Author Icon
l2rdo
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: majorsixth

But you haven't said wheather the drug is giving you any results? and if yes what?

Ive only been on it for about 2 months, so I dont have any results yet. Ive noticed alot less hair falling out when I wash and run my hand through my hair, but that could be because Im alot less stressed about it now, and Ive cut my hair much shorter. I know I should take pictures to compare, but I just havent bothered to do that yet.
 05/12/2008 03:07 PM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

i am not back to normal. i feel better, but not the same.

Im taking zinc which i find helps. But when I dropped fin, I felt a milliion times better.
 05/13/2008 02:50 PM

Author Icon
constant_battle
Regular Poster

I've noticed what I think is brain fog too. I'm slow to think of works and stutter sometimes. Not sure if I'd be like this without the fin cos can't remember what I was like before.

Funny you should say that about the good fats though Pete because I've been eating nuts from a health food store for the last 3 weeks and I've noticed that I'm not as bad.

Still, I do not quite right - do not feel as sharp as I should and would love to give up fin and minox.

If I reduced to 0.5mg a day do you think there would be a dramatic difference?
 05/14/2008 04:24 AM

Author Icon
depressedyoungman
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: worm
i am not back to normal. i feel better, but not the same.

Im taking zinc which i find helps. But when I dropped fin, I felt a milliion times better.

worm.. so after quitting fin, are you able to maintain your hair count with your current scheme?
 05/14/2008 05:18 AM

Author Icon
beaner
Accomplished Poster

How do you explain that since the change in levels of DHT from 1 mg to .5mg is negligible to the point of being almost non-existent? Makes me think this is all in your heads.
 01/08/2011 07:12 PM

Author Icon
skessler

WARNING:
I have been taking Finasteride for 9 yrs i.e. from 30 to my current age of 39 First of all Finasteride does work and does prevent hair loss, at least for me. But.......

For the past four years or so I have noticed that I have been very tired. The last 1 1/2 yrs it has become very bad where I would basically be a zombie at work. I noticed that I lost my ability to speak and think clearly. I've started to fumble my speech. I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and have always had clear thoughts and was able to speak clearly. I noticed that I have lost this the past few years. I thought I had sleep anea so I got treated for it but it hasn't helped. I am an atheletic and healthy 39 yr old male but know something is wrong with me. I don't ever reach REM sleep i.e. no dreams. I now believe Finasteride could be the cause after reading that other people are having similar symptoms. I have been off of Finasteride for 3 days and already had a dream last night and feel somewhat less tired and have less brain fog. But it's too early to tell. My gut feel says Finasteride is the cause. I now have to come with the terms that I'll loose my hair that I was able to keep for the last 9 yrs while on Finasteride.
 01/08/2011 11:56 PM

Author Icon
madclown
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: skessler

WARNING:

I have been taking Finasteride for 9 yrs i.e. from 30 to my current age of 39 First of all Finasteride does work and does prevent hair loss, at least for me. But.......

For the past four years or so I have noticed that I have been very tired. The last 1 1/2 yrs it has become very bad where I would basically be a zombie at work. I noticed that I lost my ability to speak and think clearly. I've started to fumble my speech. I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and have always had clear thoughts and was able to speak clearly. I noticed that I have lost this the past few years. I thought I had sleep anea so I got treated for it but it hasn't helped. I am an atheletic and healthy 39 yr old male but know something is wrong with me. I don't ever reach REM sleep i.e. no dreams. I now believe Finasteride could be the cause after reading that other people are having similar symptoms. I have been off of Finasteride for 3 days and already had a dream last night and feel somewhat less tired and have less brain fog. But it's too early to tell. My gut feel says Finasteride is the cause. I now have to come with the terms that I'll loose my hair that I was able to keep for the last 9 yrs while on Finasteride.

The answer for your question as to why you have been experiencing these neurological side effects:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...id=92828&enterthread=y
Statistics
32111 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 732 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 740 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc