hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Celiac Disease
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2008 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2008 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
austuser
Regular Poster

I'm a diagnosed celiac and started a gluten-free diet a few months ago. Since then i have lost a bit of weight and obviously feel a lot better in the bowel department. I remember reading something a while ago while doing my research on the subject that untreated celiac disease can result in hairloss, and with a gluten free diet the hairloss can resolve, though i cant seem to find more on the issue.

does anyone know if this would relate to pattern loss or more likely linked to alopecia areata....
 02/07/2008 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Diesel
Accomplished Poster

I was actually diagnosed with this disease when I was a child but it seemed to go into remission around the age of 11 or 12

From what I have read and understand of the disease, it is autoimmune related, so the loss would be similar to that of alopecia areata.

Did you have a blood test performed to diagnose the condition and/or a biopsy (taking a piece of tissue using a thin tube that is put into your intestines)?

Edited: 02/07/2008 at 07:17 PM by Diesel
 02/07/2008 10:03 PM

Author Icon
austuser
Regular Poster

i thought alopecia areata would be the more likely scenario. My loss is definately hereditary.

Appart from having diareah every day of my life with massive stomach cramps, i was diagnosed after sampling a biopsy of my small intestine via endoscope. Thats the main test they do. After 2 weeks on the gluten free diet I was 100% again. I find it strange that celiac disease could go into remission because it is a lifelong autoimmune response to the gluten proteins, and as far as they know, there is no cure. You may want to be sure it isnt just the symptoms that went into remmision, because many celiacs are symptom-free, and prolonged exposure to gluten leads to a host of diseases like diabetes and bowel cancer...

02/07/2008 10:37 PM

Author Icon
Diesel
Accomplished Poster

That is interesting that you say that.

When I was around 4 or so, I stopped growing for about a year, had terrible stomach/bowel problems and then began growing again after I was put on a wheat/gluten free diet. I was around a year behind in bone growth and development for my age going forward and therefore remained the smallest in my class throughout elementary school. The doctors thought that I would end up being short in stature due to the Celiac as it can cause a late onset of puberty and effect bone growth and development in children. I luckily ended up having a late growth spurt, probably around 14 or so and caught up to the kids around me and ended up at around 5'10 now as an adult (basically my father's height).

Around age 11 or 12, I began trying different foods again with Wheat and everything seems to be fine, no stomach problems and my growth continued as I slowly began making up the gap on the one year I lost in growth and bone development. I can remember going in for scans and Xrays to check my bone development as a child.

Since, I have switched family docs numerous times and have never mentioned Celiac to any of the new doctors. I think I am going to make an appointment now to see if they can test through a blood test and/or biopsy. I did not know that just the symptoms go into remission, I thought it was the whole disease.

How are you adapting to the diet? I can remember it as a child for those 5 years or so and having to miss out on certain foods and what not and my mom often cooking me separate meals.
 02/07/2008 10:49 PM

Author Icon
Diesel
Accomplished Poster

Yeah, you're right I just found this on the net...

Many patients with celiac disease may not understand the importance of life-long adherence to a gluten free diet. A recent study found that among patients diagnosed at least 20 years earlier with celiac disease, only half of the patients were following a strict gluten-free diet. The primary reason that patients followed the diet was to prevent symptoms-not to prevent complications. There was evidence of mild iron deficiency and abnormal bone density each in one-third of the patients, suggesting that the lack of adherence to the diet was having health consequences.

I don't eat a lot of Wheat to begin with ever since my days as a child I have learned to live without it, but I am no where as strict as I probably should be. I stay clear of breads, bagels, whole grains etc. but I know gluten is in a lot of things like ketchup, mustard, canned soup and other daily products you would not expect.

Maybe it is exacerbating our hairloss? I am definitely suffering from pattern loss, but I also have diffuse loss throughout, which may be due to the gluten/wheat in the diet? Are you experiencing diffuse loss as well as pattern loss?
 02/07/2008 11:18 PM

Author Icon
Mad Max
Accomplished Poster

Isn't Celiac Disease basically an allergy? In a book I read, it stated that constant exposure to allergens leads to a modified immune response. A few symptoms are interesting in regard to MPB. Those being inflammation, hormonal imbalance, hair loss, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis etc.. Basically a lot of symptoms that MPB sufferers have.

The problem is different level of allergies and the how long it takes for the reaction to manifest. It can very from instantly to however long it takes for the offending substance to be removed from your body. You will see diminishing symptoms, but depending on how often you consumed whatever it was, it could be up to about 6 months until you're recovered from it. Then after that, is supposedly when the body starts healing. Another thing is that if you were to eat wheat again after avoiding it for so long, your reaction will be more noticeable to you. For example, I think i may have a somewhat mild allergy to caffeine but I never knew when I regularly drank soda. I basically quit, but the last time I drank a half can of pop, I couldn't get to sleep til almost the next day.

Sorry about the rant, but yes, as far as diffuse loss, they can be related.

Possibly an aggravating factor in MPB too.
 02/08/2008 12:14 AM

Author Icon
austuser
Regular Poster

from what ive read, celiac disease is not an actually an allergy, but is regarded by most people as one.

Celiac disease is caused by a reaction to gliadin, a gluten protein found in wheat (and similar proteins of the tribe Triticeae which includes other cultivars such as barley and rye). Upon exposure to gliadin, the enzyme tissue transglutaminase modifies the protein, and the immune system cross-reacts with the bowel tissue, causing an inflammatory reaction. That leads to flattening of the lining of the small intestine, which interferes with the absorption of nutrients. The only effective treatment is a lifelong gluten-free diet.

someone with a wheat allergy only needs to stay away from wheat, whereas celiac disease means gluten from all grains. Even envelope adhesive contains gluten, as do most lipsticks. (excuse me babe, is your lipstick gluten-free?)

Diesel, i dont suffer from diffuse loss at all, at least not yet, i just have the big M shape on my forhead, with a strong forelock. I dont expect the diet to help with hairloss, but i dont care because it helps with everything else. It is extremely hard, especially considering gluten is in everything. I cant eat out even at those resteraunts that claim to have gluten-free dishes, because they make all the food in the same kitchen, with all that flour flying around.

and beer. god how i miss beer

02/08/2008 08:53 AM

Author Icon
Diesel
Accomplished Poster

I have read that cross contamination is a big issue with gluten etc. especially in the manufacturing and restaurant industry.

Have you ever heard of Redbridge? Not sure how it tastes but it might be worth looking into...

Redbridge Beer

I am not a beer drinker myself, more hard alcohol.
 02/08/2008 12:42 PM

Author Icon
austuser
Regular Poster

i have tried a gluten free beer from where i am (aust) and it certainly was not worth the $100 they were charging for the carton. In fact, it could taste like grolsch and i wouldnt pay that much. its just one of the sacrifices you have to make.

but i will suggest this redbridge to friends when they are trying to decide on a gift for my bday!

Statistics
32069 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1087 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1092 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc