hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any Avodart users still in the game?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/24/2007 11:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/01/2007 09:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

What anti-androgen do you use, Mike?

-------------------------
5 mg Fin
25 mg of CB mixed in K&B solution (Nov 15, 2015)
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 12/02/2007 07:07 AM

Author Icon
Mike S.
Accomplished Poster

I'm using Gen Hair's topical flutamide about 6 days a week. I only apply it to my temple areas (1x a day at night).

I also use Ell Crannell Alpha about 3 days a week. Ell Crannell is not an anti-androgen but it helps convert scalp testosterone into estrogen.

I'm using both of these products to help combat scalp androgens (DHT and Testosterone).

I wish I could find a way to increase my Ell Crannell use to 5-6 days a week. Ell Crannell is darn good stuff and very underrated in my opinion. But it's hard to figure out a place to get it in. Since I use the Flutamide at night, I'm using the Ell Crannell about 3 mornings per week at a point near my a.m. minoxidil application.
 12/02/2007 11:54 AM

Author Icon
festivephone
Prolific Poster

over two years on dut now and at first it slowed down my loss in the back and allowed me not to use minox in the crown but now i have to use minox on my crown
 12/02/2007 09:01 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

Mike, what is your schedule of applications each day? I use ell cranell once a day every day... seeing that I just started using Dut 3 mos ago I don't know yet if the combo will work on my hairline.

5 mg Fin
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 12/03/2007 11:47 AM

Author Icon
Miguel
Prolific Poster

Yup. I used Fin for years before Dut. The results were great for a year and a half - but then they tappered quickly.
 12/05/2007 05:29 PM

Author Icon
Mike S.
Accomplished Poster

Green Lantern, sorry I didn't get to this sorry. I've been busy as heck lately.

In the AM (Mon-Saturday) I'm alternating between:

Spectral dnc

OR

5 percent minox followed by Ell Crannell about 15-20 minutes later

On Sundays I apply Retin-A cream to my temples and hairlines and then apply regular 5 percent generic minoxidil to my scalp about an hour later.

In the afternoon I'm using Tricomin about 5-6 days a week. I use Aloe Vera gel on whatever days I don't use Tricomin.

In the PM
Generic 5 percent minox on my general scalp and then Xandrox 15 on my temples.
Flutamide to my temples and hairline (about a half hour to an hour after the minox application)

I usually shampoo in the PM with either Dr. Lee's regrowth shampoo or Revivogen
On Sunday evenings I take a night off from any minoxidil or flutamide applications and instead apply Extra Strength Scalpicin to my scalp.

12/05/2007 06:10 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

No worries, Mike. Thanks for your time.

What Norwood are you? How much do you think the flutamide has helped your treatment?

Are you happy with your results? Are you experiencing new growth still today?

5 mg Fin
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 12/08/2007 09:31 AM

Author Icon
Taugenichts
Regular Poster

Another Dut user here! I am using it since May. It doesn´t seem to get worse anymore. It is ok, by now.
 12/08/2007 06:57 PM

Author Icon
Mike S.
Accomplished Poster

Green Lantern I'm somewhere between a norwood 2 and norwood 2.5. Probably closer to Norwood 2 though.

I'm not sure I would say I'm presenting experciening any more regrowth at the temples (in terms of recessed areas filling in).

But they've stablized and I'm generally maintaining my thickness there. I really can't complain at this point. Yes, I'm happy with my results. Even more so since I was also a Norwood 2 all the way back in 1996.

I think Flutamide has helped in the stubborn temple areas in terms of maintaining the area and also with some increasing of thickness. My Norwood level hasn't changed, but the overall quality of my hair stays strong.
 12/10/2007 04:09 AM

Author Icon
Nevis
Regular Poster

Hey Guys, just my 2 cents here.

I too have been on Dut since Dec 2002...wow, can't believe it's been that long already. I made the switch because my insurance would cover it (back then) and saved me a ton.

The part I want to chime in on is Dut's "holding" power. I started using Minox with my Fin in '00 (Fin alone since '98), but always hated it. Greasy, messy, always made me think about my hair, when I last applied etc, and hence always focused on hairloss. So, I was lucky to be consistent at once/day application. Before starting Dut in 02, I quit minox completely and just stayed on Fin (which I had been on since 1998). I definitely lost a lot of ground then. The fin didn't seem to hold on to the hair the Minox kicked back to life.

When I started Dut in 02, I thought, better get all i can out of it, so i brought back the minox, 1/day. Did good, even though I was a lazy applier (1/day, even missed days). So since 03 I have been a Dut Minox guy. But, even with the foam (which I like A LOT better) I was still not loving the minox, and didn't think it really made my hair look enough better to justify the cost and the constant thinking. I'm sure quantitatively it made a big difference, but qualitatively/subjectively, I wasn't sure it was worth it...anyway, I just decided in the Summer to simplify my regime back to just Dut, and only 4 to 5 Avodart caps per week.

And In 5 months, I haven't lost much ground. Definitely not the noticeable ground I lost immediately when I took the Minox out of the Fin/Minox combo. It's only 5 months, and I could be in for a shed, but figured this was info worth sharing.

Cheers.

12/10/2007 05:27 AM

Author Icon
burf16
Prolific Poster

I am still using Dut, I think I have been on it for nearly 3 years (I never really write down when I start internals). I was taking it 3 times a week and haven't lost much hair on it.

I wanted a stronger regime and didn't want to take it everyday so I have brought back finasteride 1mg. I am alternating dut one day, finasteride the next. Been doing this about 2 weeks now so I will let you know how it goes.
 12/10/2007 10:31 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm in month 4 right now, so I still have a while to see what it can do for me. I was hoping for a little more, "I definitely had some regrowth, especially at the temples!" Maybe... hopefully, I'll be the one to write that in a few months.

5 mg Fin
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 12/11/2007 08:36 AM

Author Icon
Aplunk1
Prolific Poster

I've been using Dut for a long time now-- I'll have to update some pics soon. I'm far overdue.
 12/11/2007 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

Good pics, aplunk?!

5 mg Fin
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 12/11/2007 07:11 PM

Author Icon
Aplunk1
Prolific Poster

lol, GreenLantern.

by good pics, do you mean-- hairline combed back, flash/non-flash, etc..

If you look at the first half of my website, the pics are from a crappy webcam... but the second half is loaded with good, digital camera pics.
 12/11/2007 07:22 PM

Author Icon
LabRat
Prolific Poster

I've been on Avodart 1 Month,

Had been on Fin for several years. Maintained well but thats about it. With Avodart I am already seeing a gradual reduction in body hair, slowing of beard growth, decreased shedding, ect... and some weak sprouts along the hairline - so obviously I know that the drug is working as it should. I am 100% convinced that my hairloss is due to genetically high circulating levels of androgens and I can not say that Fin was doing "enough" to control this. I have my fingers crossed and am hoping that I will be a good responder. I will keep you guys updated...I promise that I won't disappear like the other responders .

LabRat
 12/11/2007 10:00 PM

Author Icon
Green Lantern
Accomplished Poster

Aplunk, no not at all. My hopes are that the pictures, of whatever quality, show an improvement in the state of your hair.

Labrat, looking forward to your feedback. Best of luck to you.

5 mg Fin
5% Minox
Dermaroller once a week.
 01/28/2008 10:27 AM

Author Icon
Aplunk1
Prolific Poster

Bump for anyone still on Avodart. So far, I'm doing well on it.

When do you guys suspect we'll see the results from FDA Phase III-Korea?
 01/28/2008 01:28 PM

Author Icon
JWM
Accomplished Poster

I'll never touch the stuff again. IT thinned my front out without question the three different times I tried it. Shame, because it gave me less sides than Fin.

01/28/2008 02:18 PM

Author Icon
VinDieselWannabe
Accomplished Poster

Dr Feller told me that a side effect from using Avodart is hair loss. This was a surprise to me because I thought that it was supposed to be better than Propecia. Hasson & Wong prescribe Avodart to a lot of their patients, but Feller doesn't like it. Go figure!

I wonder why it seems to work better than Propecia for some and worse than Propecia for others. Could it have something to do with Avodart increasing testosterone and androgen to the scalp? Is this why some guys may lose hair from it. It seems that most of the guys who have hair loss from it have it in their temple region.

0.5mg Avodart daily
Rogaine once a day before bed
Nizoral or Ketoconazole shampoo daily
1 Biotin tablet daily
------------------
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Any Avodart users still in the game?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
36268 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 273 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 273 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc