hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Omega 3 causes hairloss!?? Joe pls offer advice
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/06/2007 10:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2007 10:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

Hey Guys,

Ive been on omega 3 the past month and a bit, and it's helped me quite a bit with energy, focus, sleep, memory. Now my hair is falling out / shedding like crazy. The same thing happened on L-Arginine, so I quit and my hair totally regrew to what it was before.

From what I understand its due to an increase in IFG-1, which I just found out Omega 3 also increases like L-Arginine (used by body builders). So here I was this morning, thinking maybe its IGF-1. Ive read contradicting info that it either helps or makes HL worse. I asked my gf who's in med school abt it and she looked it up and apparently it is positively correlated to hairloss (check wikipedia). After a little research on this site, I also read that people with increased IGF respond well to propecia. Which was the case with me, it worked amazingly and had a mop for the entire time on it. I quit after 7 years tho because I felt out of it on it, and only noticed how good I felt off when I forgot my pills on vacation - im never going back on it.

The thing is I hate feeling out of it, it impacts my happiness, and and I feel brain dead when i assume my IGF levels are low - I also speculate that propecia has had lasting an impact on my levels. I used to be so sharp and with it, however ever since I started propecia 10 years ago that's no longer the case (even tho i quit 3 yrs ago and feel better). So here I am caught in a dilemma - use something that makes me feel better (IGF-1) and start shedding, or remain out of it and not as productive as I could be because i want a full head of hair.....

I know dairy and beef increases IGF, so my next step is quitting dairy to see what happens.

FYI - I only use zix which I am very happy with as a replacement for propecia.

Comments?

Edited: 10/06/2007 at 10:56 AM by worm
 10/06/2007 11:33 AM

Author Icon
Fat-Elvis
Accomplished Poster

Wait, omega 3? As in the fat? As in, like, fish oil pills?

-------------------------
Thinned out NW2.5-3

7/30/12 - Dropped rogaine after 16 months because still receding
Quit fin a while back after 5 months due to gyne sides
Currently deciding on new regimen, considering Super Zix with SP and beta sitosterol
 10/06/2007 01:37 PM

Author Icon
italianguy
Accomplished Poster

I am very very confused by your post. Arginine , a run of the mill amino acid ( found in abundance in almost all protein sources ) is often supplemented to increase vasodilation ( erections , muscle building and general health ).

Arginine affects NO metabolism , which actually suggests it may have clear beneficial effect on hair growth . something akin to Minoxidil. Dr Proctor , on his web site suggests it may benefit hair growth.

I have taken it for many many years and have had no bad effects from it whatsoever.

Then on Omega 3 supplementation , most people are deficient of Omega 3's , they have health benefits is a extremely wide range of health issues , heart disease , depression, and hair too.

There are a wide range of ways to take Omega 3's fish oil, salmon oil , flaxseed, primrose, borage, black currant etc. I have taken Omega 3's for years with no ill effects.

You have to be careful HOW you supplement omega 3's to avoid mercury etc

Maybe consider pharmeceutical grade Omega 3's

Bottomline - I have never heard of hair loss associated with Arginine and/or Omega 3 supplementation. My honest opinion is these ARE NOT the cause of your hairfall. These supplements are about as low risk and non controversial as they come
 10/06/2007 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Hijinks
Accomplished Poster

Dude, you quit Propecia. If you have mbp and you quit Propecia you will more hair faster. Fish Oils have nothing to do with a genetic condition.
 10/06/2007 11:54 PM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: worm
Hey Guys,

Ive been on omega 3 the past month and a bit, and it's helped me quite a bit with energy, focus, sleep, memory. Now my hair is falling out / shedding like crazy. The same thing happened on L-Arginine, so I quit and my hair totally regrew to what it was before.

From what I understand its due to an increase in IFG-1, which I just found out Omega 3 also increases like L-Arginine (used by body builders). So here I was this morning, thinking maybe its IGF-1. Ive read contradicting info that it either helps or makes HL worse. I asked my gf who's in med school abt it and she looked it up and apparently it is positively correlated to hairloss (check wikipedia). After a little research on this site, I also read that people with increased IGF respond well to propecia. Which was the case with me, it worked amazingly and had a mop for the entire time on it. I quit after 7 years tho because I felt out of it on it, and only noticed how good I felt off when I forgot my pills on vacation - im never going back on it.

The thing is I hate feeling out of it, it impacts my happiness, and and I feel brain dead when i assume my IGF levels are low - I also speculate that propecia has had lasting an impact on my levels. I used to be so sharp and with it, however ever since I started propecia 10 years ago that's no longer the case (even tho i quit 3 yrs ago and feel better). So here I am caught in a dilemma - use something that makes me feel better (IGF-1) and start shedding, or remain out of it and not as productive as I could be because i want a full head of hair.....

I know dairy and beef increases IGF, so my next step is quitting dairy to see what happens.

FYI - I only use zix which I am very happy with as a replacement for propecia.

Comments?

Inclusion of too much marine oiles can over stimulate your immune system and deplete AA and possibly lead to problems.

The ratio that work on ivery loosely is around 4:1 ( n6 : n3 )

Regards
Pete

10/07/2007 09:02 AM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Hijinks
Dude, you quit Propecia. If you have mbp and you quit Propecia you will more hair faster. Fish Oils have nothing to do with a genetic condition.

use it or lose it.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/
 10/07/2007 10:36 AM

Author Icon
joe_561
Accomplished Poster

Worm....you sound a lot like myself. Seems with almost everything you try you either get no benefit or the benefits you do get come with even worse side effects. That's exactly why I am a "topical treatments" guy. (The follicles get a high dose the body gets a very very low dose).

I've been experimenting for years with all kinds of supplements. I've come to the conclusion that, for me, they're a waste of time and money. My health and how well I feel depends upon my concentrating in certain areas. I do everything I can to facilitate a good nights sleep. I exercise, but do so in moderation. I try to include "work exercise" as well. In other words, do some things around the house.....climbing ladders, steps, bending, twisting, stretching, etc. Finally eat a good diet and make sure that diet includes meats that contain saturated fats....but eat in moderation. I've found it is more helpful to eat less than to eat well. Eating well and less is better though. Like everyone, I don't always follow this routine but I've discovered it works better than anything else. I also try to make sure I get at least some natural sunlight each and everyday.

I too got some very weird ass side effects from omega-3. The first was insomnia and the second was feeling like I always had a low grade fleu. The fleu like symptoms took months to go away completely. Then I concluded that omega 3 couldn't possibly be assosiated with the symptoms I was experiencing so I started taking it a second time. The second time the same thing happened but it wasn't as bad because I stopped taking it as soon as I felt these symptoms coming on again.

Furthermore being 48 years old, I've been interested in various anti-aging type supplements for almost 30 years now. I've watched so many supplements come and go. Supplements at the time that were touted as the 8th wonder of the world or the miracle cure for almost everything. Vitamin C was first.....linus pauling etc........people were taking up to 10 grams a day of the stuff then developing hives, hemorrhoids kidney stones, diarrhea. Then Vitamin E....then for a time the B-complex vitamins were the latest great miracle. B-pollen came next, then beta caratene, ginseng, ginko biloba, omega 3, melatonin, Co q10,...etc. I've experimented with all of these things and to be very frank....most of them didn't do much of anything for me.

In my opinion nothing beats a good nights sleep, good food and moderate exercise.

Edited: 10/07/2007 at 11:06 AM by joe_561
 10/07/2007 07:32 PM

Author Icon
neutron
Accomplished Poster

unbelievable...it is always so amazing to me how little we really know about health...i mean i cant tell you how many times i watch the news and see that some supplement or food is excellent for cancer or aging or whatever..and then the next week the same thing that was celebrated turns out to cause something else...now i always thought omega-3 was supposed to be an excellent supplment and i thought i remember many people claiming it helps hair too...i honestly dont know...ten people will say itz great and ten people will say itz terrible...wasnt there alot of focus awhile back on the fact that eskimos had a mostly fish based diet and they have great hair...who knows.
 10/07/2007 09:30 PM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

Tks Joe - i don't what to tell you guys, I do like it, Ive lowered the dose a little but I have a little more kick that i used to in the past (i.e. before I started omega 3). Like Joe though I tend to get side effects all the time, whereas i don't think im the norm. But I do think this IGF thing does come up. And an increase in IGF medically speaking has a correlation with MPB. It has something to do with the amt of testosterone converted to DHT....

Italian - I do know that as soon as I stopped arginine my shedding totally stopped. On two occaisions I tried it and the same reaction both time. I also know that Arginine is associated with IGF.

As for quitting propecia it's been three years and Ive maintained a million time better that I could have ever expected on just zix alone.

When I start to notice a significant thinning - which btw it's been diffuse loss - ill stop and start feeling crappy again... If you guys have any insight its appreciated.

10/08/2007 01:49 PM

Author Icon
MaxXx

worm

Omega 3 (cod liver oil) has been good to me, overall health , joints, more energy, handle late nights better, no shed or hairloss.
For some Omega 3 makes skin more oily, which is not good for hair, reduced dosage may help.

I did not like Arginine, made me dizzy, and contributed to shedding.

joe

Vitamin C stopped my sore throat I had for over 2 years, and greatly reduced the duration of colds and flu from 3 to 4 weeks to just a few days.

However good food and moderate exercise is the great advice.

10/08/2007 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Fat-Elvis
Accomplished Poster

[quote]I too got some very weird ass side effects from omega-3. The first was insomnia and the second was feeling like I always had a low grade fleu. The fleu like symptoms took months to go away completely. Then I concluded that omega 3 couldn't possibly be assosiated with the symptoms I was experiencing so I started taking it a second time. The second time the same thing happened but it wasn't as bad because I stopped taking it as soon as I felt these symptoms coming on again. [/quote]
That's interesting. I've been taking fish oil pills most of the time for the last couple years, and the past number of months I've always felt mildly tired all day no matter what I do, almost like a low-grade flu as you said. I mostly feel it in my face, like in my sinuses or something, and it makes me feel like I just want to sleep. Never thought it could be because of omega 3s. Are you sure that's what caused it for you?

Thinned out NW2.5-3

Currently deciding on new regimen, considering Super Zix with SP and beta sitosterol
 10/09/2007 05:13 AM

Author Icon
joe_561
Accomplished Poster

Yea I'm pretty sure. I originally started it and about 2-3 weeks into it I began to have insomnia. About 6 weeks into it I began to experience flu like symptoms. My bones ached, I was congested....almost like I had a low grade fever. So I stopped simply to rule out the omega-3's as a possible reason. I took a coule of months to fully work out of my system but gradually the symptoms went away.

After stopping for a bout a year I decided to try the omega-3 again because I simply found it hard to believe I could be getting that kind of reaction from them. Again about 4-6 weeks into it I again began to feel the same way so I immediately stopped them.

10/09/2007 09:13 AM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: joe_561
Yea I'm pretty sure. I originally started it and about 2-3 weeks into it I began to have insomnia. About 6 weeks into it I began to experience flu like symptoms. My bones ached, I was congested....almost like I had a low grade fever. So I stopped simply to rule out the omega-3's as a possible reason. I took a coule of months to fully work out of my system but gradually the symptoms went away.

After stopping for a bout a year I decided to try the omega-3 again because I simply found it hard to believe I could be getting that kind of reaction from them. Again about 4-6 weeks into it I again began to feel the same way so I immediately stopped them.

Fatty acids need to be kept balanced!
You build from Omega 6 and then add Omega 3.

Regards
Pete

10/09/2007 09:31 AM

Author Icon
norwegian
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: worm
Hey Guys,

I quit after 7 years tho because I felt out of it on it, and only noticed how good I felt off when I forgot my pills on vacation - im never going back on it.

Wow you went on a vacation, relaxed and felt better.

Strange, must have been the missing Fin yeah.

10/09/2007 09:39 AM

Author Icon
THININGAUSSIE
Occasional Poster

serously guys what are we coming too
 10/09/2007 11:43 AM

Author Icon
aloevera
Regular Poster

joe i posted a link about omega 3's and hairloss awhile ago, after reading an article which said fish oils and fruit decrease globulin, and therefore can increase hairloss. I was as surprised as you to discover this.
 10/09/2007 02:21 PM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

** norwegian - i lied - I was on a business trip and forgot my fin - so relaxation was not a factor at all. Anyways I can't tell how much better I feel.

** The insomnia/nightmares I heard is due to overdose - maybe if you're not using pharmaceutical grade also you could have mercury poisoning. I tend to feel better and better everyday.

** I am not stopping the Omega 3 - cuz it cud be a temporary shed and overall I feel better - I am going to stick it out 15 weeks which is usually the time frames omega 3 studies have taken place over.

10/11/2007 12:01 PM

Author Icon
southpark
Prolific Poster

I changed my diet a few moths ago, I use flaxseeds on my cereal in the morning, it says 1 tablespoon of flaw seed is whats needed per day. I also eat oily fish but if my dinner contains oily fish I don't eat my flax seed that day. I wondered if this was ok?

I searced for omega 3 and hairloss but only found positive things, can you give me a link to where it links the 2.
 10/11/2007 12:42 PM

Author Icon
Fat-Elvis
Accomplished Poster

Well this may just be a coincidence, I don't know. But I stopped taking fish oil pills (was taking 4 a day) several days ago and that fatigued, almost feverish all-day feeling in my face is pretty much gone. Maybe there's something to that.

Thinned out NW2.5-3

10/11/2007 12:52 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

Some don't react well to fish oil. Also if the oil is not fresh or rancid, it may do more harm than good. I doubt fish oil is going to significantly increase IGF to where it would do more harm than good.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/
Statistics
32076 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 597 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 603 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc