hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Spearmint tea may help treat excess body hair
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/23/2007 04:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2007 04:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bald2TheBone
Prolific Poster

A few mugs of spearmint tea could help women combat excess facial and body hair, Turkish researchers report.

Women with excess body hair, a condition known as hirsutism, who drank two cups of the herbal tea a day for five days showed significant reductions in their levels of free testosterone, Dr. Mehmet Numan Tamer and colleagues from Suleyman Demirel University in Isparta report.

Typical treatments for hirsutism target excess levels of male hormones, and include oral contraceptives to prevent the production of these hormones or drug treatment to block the body's response to them, Tamer and his team point out in the journal Phytotherapy Research.

The researchers previously noted that drinking peppermint tea seemed to lower the libido in some men, which prompted them to investigate spearmint as an anti-hirsutism treatment. Hirsutism is characterized by excessive hair growth on the face, breasts and belly, and affects about 5 percent of women. It is thought to be related to the body's level of androgens (male hormones).

The researchers had 21 women with hirsutism drink a tea prepared from a heaping teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves twice daily. Twelve of the women had polycystic ovary syndrome, while the rest had hirsutism with known cause.

After five days, the women's levels of free testosterone (the biologically active form) declined, although their total testosterone level stayed the same. Women's levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and estrogen rose, while their triglyceride levels dropped significantly.

Women with high male hormone levels may also have high levels of triglycerides, insulin resistance, and obesity, the researchers note.

"Spearmint can be an alternative to antiandrogenic treatment for mild hirsutism. However, further studies are needed for testing the reliability and availability of spearmint as a drug for hirsutism," the researchers conclude.

SOURCE: Phytotherapy Research, online February 20, 2007.

02/23/2007 05:54 PM

Author Icon
Someday
Accomplished Poster

Women with excess body hair, a condition known as hirsutism, who drank two cups of the herbal tea a day for five days showed significant reductions in their levels of free testosterone

Wooow, yeah well i heard about this..maybe some guys are willing to try it out and see if it slows down their beard growth? i don't know i would want to try but it's hard as hell to find spearmint tea here!
 02/23/2007 06:00 PM

Author Icon
Someday
Accomplished Poster

It seems as if it almost works like nettles, perhaps it's an aratomase inhibitor of some kind, since Green Tea raises SHBG which actually makes more Free Testosterone, maybe this kinda drops up the rest of the, i don't know it's confusing! the process could be anything!!!???
 01/08/2010 10:48 AM

Author Icon
Quadrophenia
Regular Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6376599.stm

Has anyone else heard of the antiandrogenic properties of spearmint and peppermint tea? I just bought a box of it and will drink 1-2 cups per day for the next few months. I'm currently on 1mg fin, so hopefully the tea will counteract the increase in testosterone and help protect my hairline. I'm not sure how effective it will be for mpb, but I read through a few acne message boards where some users reported clearer skin and decreased body hair; both good things as far as I am concerned.
 01/09/2010 02:24 AM

Author Icon
Mad Max
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: Somedaysince Green Tea raises SHBG which actually makes more Free Testosterone
Pretty sure you got that backwards. Raised SHBG means less free testosterone, which is a good thing because free testosterone is able to be converted to DHT. Of course that's only good to a point, DHT is still necessary especially for sexual function. Quadro please keep us updated.
 01/09/2010 11:01 AM

Author Icon
gps
Regular Poster

i am also taking peppermint tea using exactly the same idea - decrease T -

will tell u guys my experiment results

btw, where d you get spearmint tea> i can only get peppermint tea here in the usa.
 01/09/2010 12:31 PM

Author Icon
goten574
Regular Poster

I drank peppermint tea for several months, it didn't do anything for my scalp but body hair decreased. Can't remember the speed of beard growth though, think it was about the same.
 01/09/2010 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Quadrophenia
Regular Poster

gps, I ordered mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Traditio...qid=1263071900&sr=8-1

But I think that peppermint tea should work as well. I'm not expecting incredible results from this, but hopefully it will protect my hairline since I'm already on fin.
Statistics
32069 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 856 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 860 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc