hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Stop using GREEN TEA!!!! 194% DHT increase!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/08/2006 05:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/08/2006 05:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

Green tea seems to increase DHT levels by 194% and Testosterone by 74%

I found this thread over at Hairlosstalk........ green tea/dht discussion at hairlosstalk

Green Tea DHT study ...also black tea and soy

I started mega dosing green tea when i started experiencing rapid hair loss and all I was doing was adding fuel to the fire!!!!!! awww f*ck!!!!!!!

Edited: 12/08/2006 at 05:19 PM by shyguy007
 12/08/2006 05:29 PM

Author Icon
FairTaxNow
Prolific Poster

I've been a longtime fan of tea and am always skeptical when hearing new studies that are contrary to what's been known for years. I haven't ever really taken tea EXTRACT supplements though since it is something very easy to intake in its natural form and also much cheaper. Perhaps these extracts of ECGC only could have this effect, as they lack other components found in brewed tea. I hope people will not stop drinking something so healthy in its natural form.

I used to drink Green tea specifically until I learned about White Tea which tastes quite a bit better and has just the same health benefits (if not more) than green or black tea. Same with Rooibos which is of a different tea family.

Bottom line, I wouldn't stop drinking a quality loose leaf tea because of a couple of studies. The health benefits completely outweigh the risks in my opinion.
 12/08/2006 05:32 PM

Author Icon
flair4hair
Prolific Poster

I read that study at Nutrition.org and found it be a bit wacky. In the same study, they say that if you combo Green Tea with SPC (soy phytochemicals) it reduced DHT!!! A Bit of a conflict here?

Here is another study with mice, which shows Green Tea alone decresed promoted new hair growth and retained hair on mice:

"
Until now there had been no direct research about the effect of green tea on hair loss, but a recent study revealed some tasty results. In the study mice with identical hair loss were selected and then split into two groups: group A received green tea in their drinking water, group B received only regular drinking water. The results showed that green tea halted hair loss in *all* of the test group and even triggered new hair growth in some of the mice. Significantly, some of the mice who were not invited to the tea party showed continued hair loss.

We observed hair regrowth among 33% of the mice that received green tea extract and did not observe any spontaneous remission or hair regrowth among the controls. Eight percent of these controls of showed progressive hair loss during the period of our study, whereas none of the mice who received polyphenoline extract showed any progressive hair loss.

Published 22 July 2005 in J Natl Med Assoc, 97(6): 816-8.

What might surprise a few people is the study concluded that green tea didn’t stop hair loss by blocking DHT, as many had originally speculated. Instead hair loss was prevented by the “anti-inflammatory” properties of green tea. Whereas blocking DHT is only of use to men, anti-inflammatories are beneficial to the hair loss of both men and women. So ladies, drink up too.

There is abundant evidence that polyphenolic sub-stances are considered as anti-inflammatory and have stress inhibitory characteristics, and there is evidence that stress inhibits hair growth.
"

source: http://www.hairlossbuddy.com/12/green-tea/

So the study shows that although Green Tea may not block DHT, it does other things to promote a healther set of hair.

Draw your own conclusions people. =)

Edited: 12/08/2006 at 05:38 PM by flair4hair
 12/08/2006 05:52 PM

Author Icon
Canada
Accomplished Poster

I wonder what immortal hair has to say about this? Hey Shyguy, I seen you post on the site immortal is on, maybe you could ask him? Green tea also caused me to shed some.
 12/08/2006 05:52 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

*the study says that the ECGC content has no bearing on dht reduction or increase, its the other constituents of green tea itself that elevates dht/test levels

***When I used Green Tea Extract, I was using about 8-10 grams or more a day....... and i noticed during this time of green tea use that my libido/sex drive was better and my hair was continuing to rapidly thin/miniaturize and shed........ So now I am wondering if I have been hurting myself all this time by its use..... especially when I went to have my blood test and it revealed my Testosterone levels were very high (I had always had low test levels all my life), my test levels were so high that it would appear I had been on hormone replacement and I wasnt.... I thought my use of Tribulus Terrestris contributed to the Test elevation, now Im not so sure cuz I was using green tea then as well.....

Edited: 12/08/2006 at 06:04 PM by shyguy007
 12/08/2006 05:59 PM

Author Icon
flair4hair
Prolific Poster

Ok, whats your comments on the study with the mice I posted?

What both studies show me is that although Green Tea stand-alone may increase DHT (as what your study suggests), it also offers an anti-inflammotary which outweighs the DHT increase (what my study suggests) because... the mice with the green tea grew hair and/or retained hair compared to other mice.
 12/08/2006 06:04 PM

Author Icon
flair4hair
Prolific Poster

And for those saying Green Tea caused your hair to shed, are you saying that you drank green tea and saw your hair shed and when you stopped the shed stopped? So if you don't drink green tea, then your hairs should not be shedding at all.? How long after you started, stopped, did you see the shed?

I am not sure how some people can pin point an item in their routine that causes hairloss or gain without doing a specific study. If you know green tea caused you to loose hairs, how do you know this to be true, be specific.

For those who feel green tea caused shedding, I'm assuming you are not taking it. Do a study over afew weeks or a month, introduce green tea and see if your hair sheds! lol, we can hold a poll in a month time.

Note: I don't drink green tea, I don't really like tea that much period. But if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is, and if something sounds kinda made up, then it usually is too. Its hard to believe the glorious green tea is the catalyst for MPB.

Edited: 12/08/2006 at 06:04 PM by flair4hair
 12/08/2006 06:09 PM

Author Icon
Canada
Accomplished Poster

I added Green Tea Extract (500mg - 98% polyphenols, 80% catechins, 45% EGCG) to my regimen in September and since then I have experienced in increase in shedding and higher sex drive. I am still taking it since I wanna give it 6 months. I remember shedding from Saw Palmetto for like 4 months and then my hair came back stronger/thicker. But I am starting to worry about whether the Grean Tea is increasing DHT, damn, and now these studies are showing it does.
 12/08/2006 06:10 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

the study with the mice it doesnt really say what was actually given to them other than that it was Green Tea Extract.... It could of been a concentrated form which had no other constituents of the green tea leaf which is what is being Identified as the cause of the dht increase....

As far as the head shedding is concerned, I dont know if it contributed or not... there were only 2 supplements that I started taking in Sept 06 and that was Tribulus Terrestris and GTE... from that point on is when I started to experience rapid hair loss/shedding ...... I stopped trib immediately but continued to use 8-10gms of GTE for these past 3 months and my hairloss has not stopped... also, my libido was ironcially increased when i used Green Tea...... so now I am wondering?????

also like i said earlier I have blood tests during the use of GTE that shows my elevated Testosterone levels (especially when I have had life long low T levels prior)

Edited: 12/08/2006 at 06:14 PM by shyguy007
 12/08/2006 06:26 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

it does not. sheesh. there is no evidence that this happens in human vivo.

-------------------------
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/
 12/08/2006 06:40 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

The problem is HB is that there is no study in vivo that points to if green tea is bad or good? Yes green tea has awesome antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, but we dont know what else is has or alters in the body either.....
 12/08/2006 06:45 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

if it has any effect at all on dht whether increase or decrease, it is not likely to be measureable by human consumption.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/
 12/08/2006 07:28 PM

Author Icon
Got Hair?
Regular Poster

I can't believe I am actually reading this. Green tea will exacerbate DHT induced hair loss??? You guys have got to be kidding me! I think it's time I stick to my regimen and stay off these boards. I mean no offense to anyone in particular, but it's just that this stuff will make you go crazy after a while. Next thing we will be hearing is that sun exposure causes hair loss!
 12/08/2006 07:40 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

The sun very well could cause hair loss in some individuals... the point is you never know.....
 12/08/2006 07:54 PM

Author Icon
Pavel
Prolific Poster

after reading this i assume lots of people disscontinue using green tea
 12/08/2006 07:57 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

The point is that majority of the studies regarding green tea were fixed/based on the ECGC's , were starting to find out that the rest of the leaf of green tea affects our hormones such as raising dht /test....
 12/08/2006 08:06 PM

Author Icon
Canada
Accomplished Poster

Hey Shyguy, you going to stop using it?
 12/08/2006 09:21 PM

Author Icon
Wolverine
Regular Poster

This study showed that green tea somehow raised serum DHT levels but black tea reduced DHT levels. The study was also done on mice and not on humans. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this study.
 12/08/2006 09:43 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

MCcanada,

yes i am gonna stop using green tea....

Wolverine,

How do you think majority of studies on anything are conducted.. on mice....
 12/08/2006 10:00 PM

Author Icon
Davis
Accomplished Poster

Well green tea seems to have helped me in soo many ways health wise.
I don't think I will cut it out.

Btw I read the article a bit and it was pretty vague. I dont know why people are bugging soo much for?

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.
2nd HT, this time with DR Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.
Came out well, however due to thin hair characteristics, I need more for a fuller look.

3rd HT with Dr Feller 9/09. Roughly 1000 into my crown, and roughly 1500 into the thin front 1/3 portions as well as the hair behind the 2nd HT that receded.
Statistics
31716 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 522 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 532 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc