hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cortisone Injections For Regrowth ? You better believe it !
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2006 03:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2006 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Guys,

I know this sounds usual, but the best ideas are. Anyway, has anyone considered this ? It appears from anecdotal evidence that this could regrow temple hair, or any region that stubbornly refuses to regrow. One just has to weigh the benefits (which appear quite promising) to the complications. Compared to other treatments I think this option has a fighting chance. The results indicate that this may be the most effective treatment for stubborn areas to date. Think about it... propecia and dutasteride have side effects, but most of us including myself, have chosen to ignore these and take the treatment because these are offered as "hair loss solutions". Cortisone from what I've read, may be just as effective for hair loss. I seriously think we should consider this. I'm gonna do some more research on this tonight and see what I can come up with. The only challenge may be convincing you MD to allow us to take it.
 11/08/2006 03:58 PM

Author Icon
Sparky21
Prolific Poster

cortisone injections is nothing new, people that have been suffering from AA have done it for years.
 11/08/2006 04:53 PM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Why isn't anyone taking advantage of this treatment then ? People are saying that it's worked... this may be our one hope to regrow coveted temple hair. So why not ? I for one am calling my GP tomorrow and am going to serious consider this. Tonight I'm going to see what possible complications may arise... and compare these to the side effects associated with propecia and other common hair loss treatments
 11/08/2006 05:15 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

The effect is only temporary, it would have to be maintained with repeated injections. this could eventually do more harm than good.

-------------------------
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/

Edited: 11/08/2006 at 05:16 PM by Harry Balls
 11/08/2006 05:41 PM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Harryballs,

Maybe that hair regrows could be maintained from a more docile treament like rogaine or hydro cream..
 11/08/2006 05:58 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

maybe some may be able to, but most probably won't. The problem is mpb is progressive and unrelenting. Same with AA , some only get flare ups or periods of reprieve and are forunate to get lasting results, others unfortunately have a more agressive perssistant condition.

Edited: 11/08/2006 at 05:59 PM by Harry Balls
 11/08/2006 06:01 PM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Isn't it worth a shot though ?
 11/08/2006 06:11 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

Possibly, if you cycle it. I would not play around with higher concentrations than 1 or 2% and the more potent cortosteriods. longterm use may thin the scalp, though there are some that say that is debatable, especially with the weaker forms at low concentration. the point is, it could potentially do more than good in the longrun. "To the follicles and scalp among other things"

Would try it EOD for 4 or 6 weeks, then take six weeks off. maybe rotate with SODases and other antioxidants to keep the scalp healthy.

Edited: 11/08/2006 at 06:14 PM by Harry Balls
 11/08/2006 09:08 PM

Author Icon
jikslee
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: SteveandSmallville
Isn't it worth a shot though ?

you see what he did there?

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/jikslee
 11/08/2006 09:50 PM

Author Icon
YoYoYo
Accomplished Poster

I wonder if taken internally, would it do anything.

I'm starting on Cortef (hydrocortisone) 5mg x 3-4 a day for adrenal insufficiency. My cortisol levels are very low. Although I think my hair loss is more likely to be due to hypothyroidism than low cortisol (although low cortisol can CAUSE hypothyroidism).

Edited: 11/08/2006 at 09:51 PM by YoYoYo
 11/08/2006 10:06 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

YoYoYo,

a side effect of cortef is hair growth..... its stated on the cortef information site......
 11/08/2006 10:09 PM

Author Icon
YoYoYo
Accomplished Poster

Body hair or scalp hair though?
 11/08/2006 10:18 PM

Author Icon
newguy11
Prolific Poster

studies show that although it is a cure. there is a side effect that def would push people away. After time your body would of course build a tolerance but the worst part is your skin in that area of the scalp would become extremely thin and would be a target for bacteria and irratations. Its been shown on a few programs about cortizone injections grow back hair at outstanding rates ive seen one where there was a norwood 6.5-7 that withing a month become a norwood 2. However after about 8 months the hair fell out and he was back to normal. I also had a friend who was about as similar as on the program but he to thru the black market of sorts had the shot administered outstanding results and he continued to do this for about 2 years till it got expensive and he had to be getting the shot bout every month and a half eventually he gave up and got a HT with the money he saved but the skin in the front area gave him a few problems with shockloss from the transplant.

So although it works the side effects suck majorly. But i read a while ago that companies are looking into bettering this idea but not sure how its goin.
 11/08/2006 10:18 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

Im assuming both...... it probably doesnt differentiate between the two...
 11/08/2006 10:21 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

I am thinking about trying 2.5% hydrocortisone with my rogaine foam every other night! I wonder if they can be applied at the same time?
 11/09/2006 11:19 AM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Guys,

As newguy11 has just shared the results that people experience getting cortisone injections are nothing short of a miracle. However, most people quit for two reasons; 1) Side effects, a lot of people experience skin irritations immediately, however, compared to the side effects we experience with propecia, dut and oral spiro I think these are minimal and at the very most equal to those experienced with cortisone and 2) Cost... it's not cheap, but think about the price of a ht... it's looks unnatural most of the time and the density isn't the same either. So why wouldn't you go with cortisone ?
 11/09/2006 11:22 AM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

I think for this treatment to become more excepted it's going to take guinea pigs... much like that guy taking oral spiro ( which I still think is crazy by the way, and an unnecessary risk ), I'll volunteer as I've said before... I'm gonna make some phone calls today and keep you guys posted.
 11/09/2006 12:40 PM

Author Icon
danishdynamite
Accomplished Poster

Lowering your androgens with oral spiro are crazy... Its the same as begging for depression, low selfesteem and becomming a woman!

Cortison is great but its not for life time no matter how you twist it!
 11/09/2006 12:42 PM

Author Icon
danishdynamite
Accomplished Poster

Steve you say that you are a norwood 1... That means you have a full head of hair... Where are you planning on getting the cortison shots?? on your chest?
 11/09/2006 03:29 PM

Author Icon
SteveandSmallville
Prolific Poster

Danish,

I've been meaning to change that... I'm actually a nor 2. Anyway, I did want to mention that you think taking some form of cortisone, either by injection or topically, I never said orally, isn't a good a idea "no matter how I twist it." Consider that you, nor does anybody, know if there is a link between prostate cancer and other problems associated with fin. You don't think blocking a chemical that your body natural stores in the brain is going to produce problems over a long period of time ? I think it's only a matter of years until they prove there's a connection between finasteride and some kind of psychological disorder. I'm not saying it'll make you crazy, I am saying, based on anecdotal research in this forum, that there is some association between fin and decreased mental aptitude. I've experienced it and so have many other's on this forum. So the point is finasteride, spiro, and dut are just as likely to produce unwanted side effects, you're just not seeing experiencing the completed product yet. Consequently, these treatments (fin, dut, and spiro) don't even produce appreciable results most of the time. So why would you waste your time and money on these? Cortisone may provide a way for us to get back to norwood 0, 1 and 2 status.
Statistics
31726 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 861 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 864 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc