hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can Rogaine 5% kill the hair follicles permenantly?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/27/2006 03:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/27/2006 03:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BaldTooEarly
Occasional Poster

I have been using Rogaine 5% for 19 days now, twicw per day as instructed. I have suffered an unbelievable shed. I wish I had taken "before" pics in order to show you the extent of shedding, but unfortunately I did not. My vertex is now completely bald, and the baldness is progressing forward aggressively.

I am thinking now that either Minoxidil or PPG has killed my hair follicles permenantly and I guess that these follicles are not coming back ever.

Has anyone read about any of the Rogaine 5% ingredients that might kill the hair follicles for good. I just can't believe that what I am going through is normal shedding from minoxidil.

I am thinking of stopping now before it is too late and all my hair follicles are dead!

Please try to help on this matter.

Edited: 05/27/2006 at 03:01 PM by BaldTooEarly
 05/27/2006 03:17 PM

Author Icon
Alcyone
Accomplished Poster

Went through the same thing myself. I quit as I thought I was going to lose everything on top. People will tell you than it's a normal shed, but I'd think twice. Ive heard horror stories of topical minox solution permenantly removing people's hair. I have a theory that ppgs and alcohol are too harsh for some.

BTW, a normal shed with minox can case up to 20% thinning in MPB areas. Minox sheds are in fact normal, but rapid thinning isn't

-------------------------
Oral Minoxidil 10 mg
Oral Spironolactone 50 mg
Finasteride 1.25 mg
Nizoral 2% (every day)

Edited: 05/27/2006 at 03:20 PM by Alcyone
 05/27/2006 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Aplunk1
Prolific Poster

Go to a dermatologist and ask his/her opininion is your follicles are "dying."
 05/27/2006 07:11 PM

Author Icon
Harry Balls
Accomplished Poster

no rogain can absolutely not kill you hair follicles. you have only using it for 19 days. it takes 4-6 months to see results.

-------------------------
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Harry%20Balls/

Edited: 05/27/2006 at 07:12 PM by Harry Balls
 05/28/2006 03:00 PM

Author Icon
BaldTooEarly
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: Alcyone
Went through the same thing myself. I quit as I thought I was going to lose everything on top. People will tell you than it's a normal shed, but I'd think twice. Ive heard horror stories of topical minox solution permenantly removing people's hair. I have a theory that ppgs and alcohol are too harsh for some.

BTW, a normal shed with minox can case up to 20% thinning in MPB areas. Minox sheds are in fact normal, but rapid thinning isn't

How would you know that it is not working then? May be you did quit too early? That is the question that I can't really answer. That is what I am waiting for an answer for. Should I continue using Rogaine which will definately cause more shedding? Or should I just quit and wait for 3 months for my hair to grow back?

Iknow it is not an easy question, but your help would be appreciated.
 05/28/2006 03:31 PM

Author Icon
SpicnSpan
Prolific Poster

I've heard people say, the more hair you loose in the first 3 months, the more likely you are to regrow hair after the shedding.
I find it very hard to believe that minox (or anything for that matter) can cause you to go bald in 19 days. Minox regrows hair for the majority of people, moreso than any other drug on the market. You've got to go with the stats and hope you are a survivor. Sounds to me like you are going to loose your hair anyway... quitting minox is not going to help you regrow hair, so you might has well try to use the only known treatments as directed.
 05/29/2006 05:28 AM

Author Icon
BaldTooEarly
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: SpicnSpan
I've heard people say, the more hair you loose in the first 3 months, the more likely you are to regrow hair after the shedding.

I find it very hard to believe that minox (or anything for that matter) can cause you to go bald in 19 days. Minox regrows hair for the majority of people, moreso than any other drug on the market. You've got to go with the stats and hope you are a survivor. Sounds to me like you are going to loose your hair anyway... quitting minox is not going to help you regrow hair, so you might has well try to use the only known treatments as directed.

I know that it is hard to believe that minox has shed all the hair on my crown in 21 days now, but believe it or not, that is the truth. It is so apparent ot everyone, all my friends are commenting on my recent crown thinning daily, they never did that before I started Rogaine 5%. And yes I was losing those hairs anyways, but never ever at that rate. I might have lost them in the coming 1 or 2 years, but to lose them in less than one month is a very frustrating experience. And if I stop using Rogaine, these hairs should come back in less than three month, provided that Rogaine did not kill them permenantly. They will come bcak thinner, but they will come back.

I am not sure now that if I keep using Rogaine that they will ever come back!

05/29/2006 08:19 AM

Author Icon
FreakingOut
Accomplished Poster

Anything you put on your scalp can kill your hair if your sensative to it.
Its a known fact that irritation and inflammation can cause permanent loss!
You need to make sure you keep your scalp healthy.

Minox can do wonders but if you are irritating your scalp too much it could make things worse.
Be careful with using harsh shampoos and other harsh topicals at the same time. If your scalp
is red, itchy and inflammed then take care of it right away!

- Try Dr Lees minox -ppg
- Try Scalpacin (but use sparingly)
- Do not use harsh shampoos often (I use baby shampoo almost every day)
- Try a mild coal tar or zinc shampoo once / twice a week
- See a derm to make sure you are not causing permanent loss
Statistics
31713 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 330 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 340 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc