hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: dead scalp skin
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/29/2005 10:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/29/2005 10:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dw99
Occasional Poster

so i made an interesting discovery today...

after getting out of the shower i had an itch at the front of my forehead, and so in not wanting pop out a bunch of hairs by scratching my head with my finger i used the tip of a very small, dull fingernail scissor to scratch the spot. lo and behold, when i scratch the spot a big scale of dead skin is uprooted, revealing some nice, smooth, good looking scalp below. so i get curious and start sratching around and realize that i have this great layer of dead, kinda sticky (i know, this is gross) scalp skin all over my thinning areas. underneath this dead scalp (which has probably been there for months) is the best looking, healthiest scalp i've seen in a long time.

since i've noticed thinning i've really gone easy on my scalp when shampooing, as to not cause more hair loss. i used to rub my scalp pretty strongly to clean it back in the day before any loss showed up. i can only assume that by not rubbing as hard i've been building up dead layers of skin on my scalp, which have surely inhibited my progress (especially with minox). has this really been happening, or is this typically how dandruff works? the funny thing is that this layer of dead skin is only in the spots where i've been thinning and have not been shampooing as thoroughly. i haven't any dandruff anywhere else on my head.

so anyhow, i've seen guys talk about scalp peels and stuff, but i've never read up on how to do one. so yeah, is there some product i need to buy or something or do i have to go somewhere? i know that this layer of sticky, dead skin has not been helping me out at all and i want to get rid of it asap. any help will be appreciated. thanks!
 08/29/2005 10:22 PM

Author Icon
cnote
Occasional Poster

I comb my hair with a quality brush after my hair has dried from a shampooing. I run the back of a comb along the brushes bristles and a white cloud puffs out of the brush. I do this several times until the amount of dead skin the brush is picking up decreases. I think this is a simple way to remove some excess dead skin, there are more serous methods such as scalp peals or Proced which people seem to think is a $200 scalp peel
 08/30/2005 12:08 AM

Author Icon
Mojo_LA
Prolific Poster

Exactly, dead skin on the scalp does no good and, although there have probably not been any studies, keeping the scalp clean most likely helps absorbtion of products. And just keeps your hair healthier!

About 2 months ago I did an experiment and used a facial exfolient on my head. Exfoliant is usually a gritty cream designed to remove dead skin from the face, so why not try it on my head? I scrubbed it in really well (it's sort of a very mild version of rubbing your skin with sandpaper) and when I rinsed it out, WOW!

My head had never felt so clean before in my life. I then put in my Nizoral 2% as usual and - for the first time ever - it actually made my scalp tingle! I could feel it working.

In any case, I now exfloliate my scalp twice a week. It's not as extreme as a scalp peel, but it's the same basic idea and can only be a good thing.
 08/30/2005 10:57 AM

Author Icon
micky b
Prolific Poster

It's funny I was just thinking about posting on this very subject. My brush always ends up with a bunch of white crap on it as well. I always figured this was sebum but maybe its just dead skin. I know its hard to give the MPB areas a good scrubbing because you think it will cause hairloss but if it does it was going to come out anyway, at least thats what they say. I'm always afraid to tip my head back into the hairdressers shampoo tub because she goes after it so aggressively but it always feels fantastic when she's done.
 08/31/2005 10:08 AM

Author Icon
grabber_grabbs

to my knowledge, this is not dead skin but what remains from the minoxidil you have applied to that area. This is why you only find this on your thinning area, nowhere else. Use T/Sal shampoo, that will help removing this.

have a nice day
 08/31/2005 08:33 PM

Author Icon
micky b
Prolific Poster

sorry, your wrong in my case anyway, I haven't used minox for years (worthless crap). Good day.
 09/02/2005 02:44 AM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

Mojo, what is the name of the exfoliant you use on your scalp that makes it feel so good?
Statistics
31740 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 667 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 672 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc