hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Computer Radiation??
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/17/2004 10:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2004 10:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Scorpion

Hey, I've heard that computers let out some amout of radiation. Does anybody know if it's truth?

Cancer patients lose their hair because of the radiation used in their kemotherapy.

So, if it is truth, then don't you guys think that it may be the cause for some of us to lose hair?
 11/17/2004 11:26 PM

Author Icon
BrightNail
Prolific Poster

alot of computer programmers are losing their hair, including me....makes me wonder too!
 11/18/2004 04:41 AM

Author Icon
dastardly
Accomplished Poster

Yeah, I've often wondered this. I work in a place with 50+ computers scattered around, and I started losing hair within months of getting there. Also, every guy there has some degree of hair loss.

My gut feeling is it's coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they did find a link between computers / cell phones etc and hair loss. Not so much in "causing" it, but in exacerbating it and / or speeding up the genetic expression of it.
 11/18/2004 07:31 AM

Author Icon
chia pet
Regular Poster

If that were true, it might explain why my hairloss is worse on my left side. (computer sits to my left.)
 11/18/2004 07:47 AM

Author Icon
hair_tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

computers, television sets, microwave ovens all give off some sort of magnetic radiation.  "they've" never really been able to determine a causal link between computer use and serious illnesses - although headaches and eye-problems are commonly reported.

this is the same radiation that btw exists from power lines.  "they've" never been able to difinititivley (sp?) link cause between all those people living beneath power lines who have brain cancer - although there are certainly many reported incidents of such.

they've also never linked cell phone use to brain cancer - but there is a theory that that states it's due to the cell phone antenna actually touching your head for prolonged periods of time.

You should work a minimum of 2' away from your PC just to be on the safe side (and don't buy a house under any any power lines, and don't allow your cell phone antenna to touch your head on a regular basis).

-------------------------
hair_tomorrow@usa.com ~ NW5A ~ Dut: 2x weekly; Proscar: 1 mg 4x weekly ~ Minomuck ~ SuperZix II ~ Copper Peptides ~ Shampoos: rotate Dr. Lee's Regrowth, "Thicker Fuller Hair" w/ caffeine, Biotin w/ TTO ~ Emu & Essential Oils ~ Varied OTC Supplements

Edited: 11/18/2004 at 07:49 AM by hair_tomorrow
 11/18/2004 10:44 AM

Author Icon
Bad_Hair_Decade
Regular Poster

I don't think it's the computer that supposed to give off radiation it's the monitor. I also think (but I'm not sure) it only applies to CRT monitors. I use a LCD flat panel monitor
Radiation therapy and chemotherapy are two differnt things as far as I know.
Radiation therapy doesn't always mean hairloss. I guess this depends on where it's administered and what type and how much.
Chemo is the main culprit for hairloss in cancer patients.
My girlfriend lost her hair during chemo So did my mother. When my girlfriends chemo was finished she went in for radiation therapy and her hair continued to grow.
My girlfriends mother only had to go for radiation and her hair never fell out either. So it's my guess that the little bit of radiation coming from a monitor would have no effect on hairloss....
In case you were wondering all three women mentioned above kicked some cancer butt

Edited: 11/18/2004 at 10:46 AM by Bad_Hair_Decade
 11/18/2004 10:52 AM

Author Icon
hair_tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

>  don't think it's the computer that supposed to give off radiation it's the monitor.

true (I'd stay 2' away from the lcd varieties too though for now  :-)

glad to hear the women all worked out OK!

-------------------------
hair_tomorrow@usa.com ~ NW5A ~ Dut: 2x weekly; Proscar: 1 mg 4x weekly ~ Minomuck ~ SuperZix II ~ Copper Peptides ~ Shampoos: rotate Dr. Lee's Regrowth, "Thicker Fuller Hair" w/ caffeine, Biotin w/ TTO ~ Emu & Essential Oils ~ Varied OTC Supplements
 11/18/2004 12:31 PM

Author Icon
dastardly
Accomplished Poster

Bad Hair Decade - glad to hear that!
 11/18/2004 12:54 PM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

Probably a good idea, though i don't think the radiation emitted from our computers and cells are even close to the radiation from cancer treatment.

I guess I won't be sticking my head in the microwave anymore..... damn it felt so nice and all...
Statistics
32377 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 827 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 831 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc